Debate Mansion

Science vs Arts & Commerce students (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 17 February 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by MNMS

Science students vs Arts and Commerce Students

I'm inspired from the post of Jetmania on "Maths".  I often saw teachers/people/society praising Science students ( studying hard sciences like computers, biology,maths, physics, etc) more than Arts and Commerce students despite the same amount of work done by both. Why r science students always considered more intellegent and hard working than arts students? I personally feel injustice to those equally intellegent and creative people who put so much of hardwork in their fields (e.g. painters, economists, sociologists, etc) but are not praised as they should b.

Its just the difference of the working of a "right brained"(artistic mind)  and "left brained". But to me it shouldn't be the basis of such a discrimination.

Ur comments.

Maryam!! Nice Post!! I did'nt see this post till nowOuch!!

I never think science students are intelligent and commerce or arts students are not so intelligent or dull.

Any person can appreciate any subject only if they understand the beauty of that subject.If people don't have minimum common sense or minimum intelligence to assess the beauty of a subject ,then they assess it by the monitory value of that subject in the market.

Can any person say Economics is dull subject if he understands the concepts of Adam Smith!!

Can any person say English is a dull subject if he understands the beauty of plays of Bernard Shaw and works of Robert Frost!!

Can any person say History is dry boring if at all they really understand the concpets of Indus valley civilization , rule of Bismark, tsars of Russia and Empires of China !!!

No subject is tough or easy its just our perception!!

cheers,

Mythili

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Science vs Arts & Commerce students (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 17 February 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged
there is something called APTITUDE, that remains most under-rated in some countries.
Ignorance makes science students climb up the unseen ladder and I think it is very wrong.
Aptitude and IQ have no correlation (correct me if I am wrong). Moreover IQ and greatness of a human being as a person has no correlation either..
I pity people who classify students based on their career choices and tag them less / more intelligent ..

Sharmii

IF-Sizzlerz

Sharmii

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged
Its a pretty perception.
My cousion getting an excellentage percentage in the Boards opted for Commerce as he was rightly inclined that way.
The most frequesnt question asked what why the Hell didnt he Take science as supposedly all the brainies are supposed to be there. LOL

datspreets

IF-Veteran Member

datspreets

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 1:13am | IP Logged
Science people are even today considered more intelligent. Partly our ancestors are to be blamed where if a child didn't become a doctor/engineer, they were not intelligent enough.

But things are chnaging today. In Mumbai, there are more students opting for commerce as opposed to science. Everyone's inetersts and aptitude differ. You can measure intelligence only if the parameter is the same.

You can't say that a science student is a genius if he made a great working model, an art student who reaserches and does a PHD or a CA is equally genius. How can you compare pickle with jam? They're world's apart!

At the end of it, whatever field you choose, the road to the top is equally hard or gruelling - whether you choose scie/commerce/arts!

Preeti

Star_on_earth

IF-Rockerz

Star_on_earth

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 1:58am | IP Logged
Very true…its always happened that way….no matter how intelligent commerce/arts students are…science students are given more preference by everybody (teachers, family n friends)

What they all think is that science has tough subjects (physics,bio,chem.) so obviously students going for science must be really brainy..while the person's going for commerce and specially arts are the biggest dumbo's here…(no offence to anybody…its jus what people think) this is the typical mindset of people…

But I think the debate here is not who's more intelligent among science students or commerce/arts students…the debate should be why science students are preferred more??? This discrimination is not among the students but the teachers and family members… I think they are the ones who should understand that no matter what subject you take..it all depends on your hardwork whether you will succeed or not..

souro

souro

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 5:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by MNMS

Why r science students always considered more intellegent and hard working than arts students?

Ur comments.

I don't think science students are considered more intelligent. Whoever excels in their chosen field is considered intelligent by the others.

Having said this I will agree in India parents definitely try to encourage their child to take up science in their +2 and UG education. But that has a reason too:

1) Science offers a broader spectrum in terms of career choices or PG level education which the others streams of study fails to provide. We've to remember in India people are encouraged to take up jobs which pay more rather than which the person enjoys.

2) If you are studying Arts (not painting or sculpting) chances are you will end up following a career in academics which is fine as long as that is what you enjoy and both you and your family do not have any issues with the pay. But if you enjoy studying Languages but later on want to shift to other sector it will prove to be difficult.

3) Every major competitive exam for PG education or jobs require Maths which the Arts and Commerce students find difficult to tackle as they remain out of touch for many years.

4) If you see major B-schools, all of them prefer engineers to take up admission and usually 60-70% of the students comprise of engineers. IIM-C admits more than 80% engineers every year.

5) In Civil Service exams science papers are more scoring and candidates have a better chance of converting.

These are some of the reasons I could think of, there maybe many more, like being a doctor is considered the most noble profession by many, etc.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top