Joined: 23 August 2006
Science students vs Arts and Commerce Students
I'm inspired from the post of Jetmania on "Maths". I often saw teachers/people/society praising Science students ( studying hard sciences like computers, biology,maths, physics, etc) more than Arts and Commerce students despite the same amount of work done by both. Why r science students always considered more intellegent and hard working than arts students? I personally feel injustice to those equally intellegent and creative people who put so much of hardwork in their fields (e.g. painters, economists, sociologists, etc) but are not praised as they should b.
Its just the difference of the working of a "right brained"(artistic mind) and "left brained". But to me it shouldn't be the basis of such a discrimination.
Maryam!! Nice Post!! I did'nt see this post till now!!
I never think science students are intelligent and commerce or arts students are not so intelligent or dull.
Any person can appreciate any subject only if they understand the beauty of that subject.If people don't have minimum common sense or minimum intelligence to assess the beauty of a subject ,then they assess it by the monitory value of that subject in the market.
Can any person say Economics is dull subject if he understands the concepts of Adam Smith!!
Can any person say English is a dull subject if he understands the beauty of plays of Bernard Shaw and works of Robert Frost!!
Can any person say History is dry boring if at all they really understand the concpets of Indus valley civilization , rule of Bismark, tsars of Russia and Empires of China !!!
No subject is tough or easy its just our perception!!
Joined: 25 September 2005
Joined: 21 April 2005
I-F Crazy Creatives
Joined: 10 April 2005
Joined: 27 December 2006
Joined: 27 January 2007
Why r science students always considered more intellegent and hard working than arts students?
I don't think science students are considered more intelligent. Whoever excels in their chosen field is considered intelligent by the others.
Having said this I will agree in India parents definitely try to encourage their child to take up science in their +2 and UG education. But that has a reason too:
1) Science offers a broader spectrum in terms of career choices or PG level education which the others streams of study fails to provide. We've to remember in India people are encouraged to take up jobs which pay more rather than which the person enjoys.
2) If you are studying Arts (not painting or sculpting) chances are you will end up following a career in academics which is fine as long as that is what you enjoy and both you and your family do not have any issues with the pay. But if you enjoy studying Languages but later on want to shift to other sector it will prove to be difficult.
3) Every major competitive exam for PG education or jobs require Maths which the Arts and Commerce students find difficult to tackle as they remain out of touch for many years.
4) If you see major B-schools, all of them prefer engineers to take up admission and usually 60-70% of the students comprise of engineers. IIM-C admits more than 80% engineers every year.
5) In Civil Service exams science papers are more scoring and candidates have a better chance of converting.
These are some of the reasons I could think of, there maybe many more, like being a doctor is considered the most noble profession by many, etc.
Science vs. Religion
Author: Beyond_the_Veil Replies: 71 Views: 9091
|Beyond_the_Veil||71||9091||23 September 2009 at 6:03am by _Angie_|
Science- Being a threat to our society?
Author: Bubbly_Shelly Replies: 12 Views: 3507
|Bubbly_Shelly||12||3507||23 March 2009 at 10:58pm by rogna|
Science vs Myth lol idk how else to put it =p
Author: ThE_kHan07 Replies: 2 Views: 1513
|ThE_kHan07||2||1513||30 January 2009 at 4:58am by U-No-Poo|
Math Vs. Science
Author: SmarterDesiKid Replies: 16 Views: 3474
|SmarterDesiKid||16||3474||31 July 2007 at 5:05pm by damilola|
Why few commerce books avaliable ???
Author: WillSmith456 Replies: 5 Views: 565
|WillSmith456||5||565||21 May 2007 at 2:08pm by music_rules|
Popular Channels :
Quick Links :