Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged

Science students vs Arts and Commerce Students

I'm inspired from the post of Jetmania on "Maths".  I often saw teachers/people/society praising Science students ( studying hard sciences like computers, biology,maths, physics, etc) more than Arts and Commerce students despite the same amount of work done by both. Why r science students always considered more intellegent and hard working than arts students? I personally feel injustice to those equally intellegent and creative people who put so much of hardwork in their fields (e.g. painters, economists, sociologists, etc) but are not praised as they should b.

Its just the difference of the working of a "right brained"(artistic mind)  and "left brained". But to me it shouldn't be the basis of such a discrimination.

Ur comments.

Edited by MNMS - 06 May 2006 at 12:18am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Science vs Arts & Commerce students" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged
MNMS this is a great topic Clap I would like to read what our members have to say. I'll post my views later when i get chance. Tongue

Edited by sowmyaa - 05 May 2006 at 8:03am

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 8:05am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sowmyaa

MNMS this is a great topic Clap I would like to read what our members have to say. I'll post my views later when i get chance. Tongue

Thanks di.Big smile.. i really wish to know from me fellow members too!!!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged
cool topic !! I too was thinking of starting something similar after seeing Math topic going into several pages Mariam. But you raced me to it !! Wink

Very true we do think the Science students are these brilliant (a bit nerdy) brainy guys, absent minded.With spectacles probably!!!Probably making very boring science related conversation LOL

While Art students aren't viewed as dumb BUT the brilliant ARTY guys( Painters, musicians, Copy writers for an agency, Writer etc etc) are viewed as eccentric, very ecclectic, very interesting characters to know.

Even from the clothes dressing often we know whether the person is into ARTS or Science!! LOL The Science guy is usually a bad dresser. While the Arty person has usualy a great sense of dressing.Wink Yup Yup i know i am stereo typing ...............BUT go too IIT, Delhi(Enginnering) then go to NID or NIFT,Delhi( Design and Fashion schools) and check out the clothes people wear and you'll know i'm not wrong !!LOL

So i feel its not that the Art guys aren't given equal importance ....or thought less brilliant BUT like we all have this typical stereo type of mould for a person. And thats very we set it too !! Tongue

Edited by Aparna_BD - 05 May 2006 at 8:50am

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged
Where is Commerce? Are you grouping that into Arts as well? OuchLOL

I agree - there is a definite mindset that the sciences are more difficult than other fields of study, which is actually something wrong. Ask anyone who has done PhD in Arts or become a CA and they will tell you that it is just as hard as any field in science.

Its a matter of specialization of skills. Focusing on one results in lopsided development.

For instance: in general, i have seen that science and commerce students find it difficult to write humanities essays. Framing a proper thesis statement is often more difficult for them than deriving complex math equations or analyzing pages of financial statements.

Similarly, arts and science students get absolutely clueless when it comes to auditing, taxation, etc.

But, if you see carefully, the most highest paid professions, irregardless of whether they belong to the Arts, Sciences or Commerce are obtained only after years of hard work and rigorous training.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged
OMG......... Me from the accounting fraternity totally forgot commerce!!!! LOL ... Thanks T. for reminding me Embarrassed Embarrassed .....( im wondering if this absent mindedness LOL from my side may lead other people assuming me from the science group..as aprana di said! Confused   LOL )

I have done it T. i hope now its okSmile

Edited by MNMS - 06 May 2006 at 4:47am

Munise

Goldie

Munise

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged
woo, i inspired someone Shocked Tongue hehe

speaking as an Asian i find that in my Asian community the only subject/degree which people find acceptable are sciences(inc maths Wink ), medicine, pharmacy etc. i dont why this is the case but if someone is to do a language at university like french then everyone looks down at that person and calls them names. medicine can be classed as a respectable career therefore maybe cos to quite a few people their image in society means more to them.

my dad is one of these people, he wanted me to do medicine but when i finally decided on maths he decided not to push me. its an unfair stereotype because what happens to someone who is brilliant in both aspects. i find that people who aint as good in the sciency subjects either resent or are in awe of those are good, and these people are classed as geniuses

i agree with aparna, people who do arty subjects have a better dress sense Embarrassed (speaking from experience lol) i dont think that this sterotype will ever change, i have a lot of respect for people who do arty subecjts because i've always wanted to be adventourous and do them but i never got the chance.

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 16 February 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged
Bumping up Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top