Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

Traveller

Traveller

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 2:02am | IP Logged

hi everyone....

ive this thing of making fun of my own flaws and i somehow think that doing that will not only make u feel lighter about the whole thing and while others laugh with u about it they will somehow not see the flaws to be a really big thing and forget about it....but on the other hand my mom feels that we shouldnt be "putting down" ourselves in front of others.....i dont think that is really justified considering that its all in the name of humor and poking fun at urself sometimes doesnt really mean putting ourselves down...

what do u guys think?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "all in the name of humor..." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 5:12am | IP Logged
Exactly... this is something my mom says too!! Tongue

Well these 2 strategies depend on the type of gathering and the kind of PEOPLE u r sitting with. I'm pretty comfortable at making fun of myself in front of parents,sisters, nieces, nephews, close friends, understanding friends,etc. but if im in a gathering of people who have only met me once or never met me and can't understand my wavelength of wht im talking abt, then its somewht putting urself down.

My mom encourages me to make fun of myself in front of people mentioned above!. See, making fun of myself is a method of making me more "down-to-earth" (which i know some people aren't Confused ). When i laugh at myself in a lighter way and i say to my soul "Look, this is u. U have got ur flaws and mistakes .. so dont ever think urself best after an achievement!" After that i enjoy the sense of achievement + keep myself low.

Edited by MNMS - 05 May 2006 at 6:28am

Traveller

Traveller

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 5:41am | IP Logged

Originally posted by MNMS

Exactly... this is something my mom says too!! Tongue

Well these 2 strategies depend on the type of gathering and the kind of PEOPLE u r sitting with. I'm pretty comfortable at making fun of myself in front of parents,sisters, nieces, nephews, close friends, understanding friends,etc. but if im in a gathering of people who have only met me once or never met me and can't understand my wavelength of wht im talking abt, then its somewht putting urself down.

My mom engourages me to make fun of myself in front of people mentioned above!. See, making fun of myself is a method of making me more "down-to-earth" (which i know some people aren't Confused ). When i laugh at myself in a lighter way and i say to my soul "Look, this is u. U have got ur flaws and mistakes .. so dont ever think urself best after an achievement!" After that i enjoy the sense of achievement + keep myself low.

ya MNMS..i definetly agree with u,it all totaly depends on the gathering...and i think being down to earth makes a person much compatible and more fun being with...seriouslySmile

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 6:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Traveller

ya MNMS..i definetly agree with u,it all totaly depends on the gathering...and i think being down to earth makes a person much compatible and more fun being with...seriouslySmile

Traveller.. Thanks and i take it as a compliment! Smile 

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 7:09am | IP Logged
Yeah, I agree with MNMS. It completely depends on what kind of gathering you're in. If its informal then the self-depreciating humour works well. But, if its more formal, then such humour may look tasteless.

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 7:31am | IP Logged
I agree with you all..it depends upon gatherings and it is healthy at times to make plp feel comfy and you also get casual around them.
Also, about moms, I think.... no mom would like their kids turning down by anyone be it by themselves..so probably that protective motherly nature discourage you to make fun of yourself.

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged
awwwwwwwwww Embarrassed ... now that's a true MOM speakin in form of Sowmyaa di!!! Wink

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 7:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by MNMS

awwwwwwwwww Embarrassed ... now that's a true MOM speakin in form of Sowmyaa di!!! Wink

Evil Smile yeh!! me Mom's representative Wink

Guess I never understood why my mom did somethings when i was teen i used to leterally fight with her and hurt her...now after becoming a mom I can relate all those things and how she might be feeling...though my gurly is still pre-schooler....I hope she does not turn out to be teen like me Ouch scary huh!!!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top