Diya Aur Baati Hum

Sandhya is a doormat

.driftingaway thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

W*F is wrong Sandhya? I feel like im watching Kyunki Saas bhi kabhi bahi thi part:2

again, the creatives are portraying a seedi sadi sati savitri who has compromised with her circumstances, stays mum, sheds tears, and bears all the atrocities her feral mother in law and her crooked in laws throw at her. Her husband, is simply, a pansy ass. Why did Bhabo get him married in the first place? Why didnt the family just adopt a pet or get Suraj married to the maid, Chaturi? Even better, why didnt they wait for him to finally hit puberty, let go of momma's pallu, and grow a spine.

Why did the creatives of the show try to portray Sandya's friend Preeti in a negative light today? Preeti 'insults' Suraj and Bhabo (when infact she was only only giving them a much needed reality check and giving Bhabho a dose of her own bitter medicine) and Sandhya, what does mrs houlier than thou, do?Yup, the ever righteous daughter in law,  grips Preeti's arm, tells her to shutup, and kicks her out of the house. 👏

What the hell is wrong with this woman?

Everything Preeti uttered was true. Bhabo is a narrowminded old harpy who is not only uneducated, but lacks decency, humanity, and compassion- heck even basic  moral values! (Remember the episode when Bhabho coerced Sandhya into stealing someone elses shoes?) Her children have inherited the same characteristics. Blame yourself Bhabho! You set your own children a bad example.

With Suraj, its like one step forward, two steps back. He isnt mature enough to support a wife.  He cant make his own decisions. He can't make adjustments or compromises, but expects Sandhya to make sacrifices, and adjustments all the time. He expects her to walk around eggshells and keep Bhabho and her devil spawns 'pleased' all the time. But, its completely okay for everyone to belittle Sandhya time and again.
 He is such an embarassment. How quickly he stepped in, and demanded Preeti to not 'insult his mother' Why didnt he utter a word when she was antagonising and victimising Sandhya for simply saving an innocent kids life, which meant she had to forgo the groceries? 🥱

Im so dissapointed in DABH. Its so regressive and its embarassing to watch because we are living in 2012.

Sandhya, you dont deserve to be an IPS officer. Education has done nothing for you. It hasnt empowered you in anyway.You need to stop being such a doormat, stop being so submissive and stop shedding the waterworks. Why did you apologise to Bhahbo? Preeti was completely right in her stance!

Just look at the difference between a show like Maryada, and this backward soap Diya aur baati hum.

Edited by driftingaway - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Sandhya is quiet just becaz she knows what damage her brother has done ...her brother made a fool out of her and Rathi family ..she is feeling ashamed of her brother and now she is emotionally connected to Suraj and Bhabho and more to Suraj becaz now she knows what a gem of a person he is.
.driftingaway thumbnail
Originally posted by: sita11

Sandhya is quiet just becaz she knows what damage her brother has done ...her brother made a fool out of her and Rathi family ..she is feeling ashamed of her brother and now she is emotionally connected to Suraj and Bhabho and more to Suraj becaz now she knows what a gem of a person he is.

well that is debateable.
Sandhya has been cheated on too. She was coerced into the marriage. Frankly speaking, the marriage in itself is not even valid because both counterparts were cheated on.  I agree, she is definitely feeling guilty. But that does not mean she allows herself to be treated like a doormat. She's compromising with her own 'values' that she used to harp on about, by doing so. She doesnt need to push her friend out of the house, and nor does she need to apologise to Bhabho on Preeti's behalf. Besides, whatever Preeti said, was completely true.

Bhabho is a vile woman. She has no redeeming qualities imo. She treats Sandhya like a 'semi human' but only when Sandhya has 'pleased' her. Otherwise, she antagonises her. She has given Sandhya '15 days' to prove that she is a 'good daughter-in-law' but has already made up in her mind that SS marriage will need to be severed. Suraj has given her all the power. Even the power to make decisions in regards to his marriage and his relationship with his wife.

She is a hypocrite. Shes allowed her daughter to go into further education but completely abhors the fact that her daughter in law is an educated women. She aspires that her daughter will go into a well off, decent family, and will be treated well, but look at the way she tortures her very own daughter in laws? One word bhabho... Karma!

She lies, she is uncouth, she has very little compassion (saving the groceries was more important than saving a kids life. Really?) and she has no morality.

Sandhya has slowly lost the fire, spark, and spunk she once had within her. She is so desperate to gain Bhabho's approval that she doesnt even speak up anymore. She allows Bhabho to break her time and again, and she does nothing, absolutely nothing.
Edited by driftingaway - 12 years ago
leavesandwaves thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
To get trps every serial is becoming like this. Abusive mother in law, spineless son and doormattish daughter in law.
Let us wait for some spark.
Even Pratigya became a saas bahu saga.

For a change, there are other shows on starplus which are offering a different perspective.  Like SGP, Ek Hazaron mein, Maryada.

On Zee there is Hitler Didi.

On colors, we have Parichay.

On Sab, we have R.K.Lakshman and Tarak Mehta.

As it is, today's episode was unnecessary. Preeti suddenly bursting into a strange house and bashing where the situation is very delicate, is really preposterous. Sandhya could have stopped her in the beginning itself.
Sandhya rescuing the boy was also so manipulated just to make her bear Bhabho's snide remarks.
Today's episode is disappointing.
sooraj_sandhya thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I agree few points but not all...

I agree that Sooraj nad Sandhya should be somewhat more vocal while putting thier points...

Todays episode with Preeti's entry and Saving kids life was not natural and looks like for TRPs only...

It made 1 point tho that Sooraj got to know reality from Preeti...Preeti was right but again the way she talked abt Halwai as a profession as if Sooraj is a criminal and sellingdrugs😕

Babho is hypocrate lady and I dont know any DIL can tackle her?? Sandhya,  i guess being just 19 years old and no1 to guide, using try and error method...soon she will realize the reality of Babho...lets see...

I dont know but I hope it will not become a Saans bahu serial and will be just Diya and Baati!!!!
Edited by sooraj_sandhya - 12 years ago
.driftingaway thumbnail
Its already a typical saas-bahu show. Hence todays episode; It was just SO dramatic. First theres the whole Sandhya saving a kid scene, but when she is criticised for doing so by Bhabho she has nothing to say in her defence. Why?
Preeti bursting into the house so suddenly and defending Sandhya was bizzare. Even more bizzare Sandhya trying to shut Preeti up as if she were feeling insulted on Bhabho's behalf. 🤪 
wth?

I disliked how the storywriters portrayed Preeti in a negative light today, ( she spoke what many of us were feeling) they then showed Sandhya apologising for what Preeti said! Why? Does Sandhya honestly think Preeti was wrong, and Bhabho was in the right? 
ehh. This show is a lost cause.
nayhaj thumbnail
If u want any drama ruined give it to CVs. They showed sandhya as a confident 20something who dreams of becoming an IPS officer and now her personality is of a little girl. I understan she's in a state of shock after wt happened n sh has given up but her whole personality has taken a make over. I think she needs to be more confident and speak for herself more and Suraj pls y did u marry if u cnt treat ur wife wit respect and equality. This soap shud be called Suraj aur bhabho hum! Also I ws thinkn why haven't they showed Suraj lookn at Sandhyas parents pic yt? Considern he took em to hosp
idignant thumbnail
This show is a complete insult to girl's education. While shows like this should be promoting and inspiring girls to get more education , instead it is fostering the feeling that if you get an education, you will probably be treated badly at your in-laws.

And shame to Sandhya's character too, she is a doormat and gutless person. Her parents provided her with an education so that she could stand on he own feet, inspired her to dream big -- be an IPS officer!! Instead she is apologising to uncouth, ill-mannered , evil Bhabo all day long. She does not have the guts to stand up for herself -- what kind of an IPS officer would she have been anyway! Seeing her 
act this way makes me feel depressed. Suraj's character is expected -- most Indian men are Mama's boys anyway, why expect anything better. All sacrifices and adjustments have to be done by the wife.
And even in this 21st century Sita aka Sandhya has to again give a agnipariksha  otherwise Ram aka Suraj will send her for vanavas. Girls always have to give the test. 

At least Preeti had the guts to say the truth.

This show started as something different -- is becoming the same old saas-bahu saga. Totally disappointed.

b2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
@idignant :  Hi, welcome to the forum.

Don't you think girls watching this show will think they should not bear all such nonsense if they get a MIL like Bhabho and be well prepared to face such circumstance (if they have to be).

Likewise, MILs watching this show may learn to see both sides of the coin and also how they should give some space to their son after their marriage.

I am not happy with Sandhya asking sorries every now and then.  She felt Preethi's words were harsh on them and asked for forgiveness, but Bhabho again blames her for that.  It is a good eyeopener for Suraj to know what Sandhya is worthy of.   
Rolzz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
The way an educated Preethi talked was also wrong... Its no manners to just barge into someone's house and hurl insults(even if true) at them...
Her way of speaking, tone, and looking down at halwai as a profession were all wrong
Evenif she wanted to make a point, she could have done in a civilized way!!

I do agree on the point that Sandhya is a doormat.. she should stand up for herself and Suraj must grow a spine!! 

Edited by Rolzz - 12 years ago