Starryskies
Starryskies

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 1:46am | IP Logged
Raj may walk out of Jassi
   By: Ami Cholia
   April 14, 2005

amic@mid-day.com
Parmeet Sethi
Rumours are rife about Parmeet Sethi walking out on his character, Raj Malhotra, and quitting Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin.

After nearly 18 months with the show, Sethi is not happy with his pay packet — he feels it is not in keeping with his role and stature. With his contract ending in May, Sethi is sure he won't stay if things don't change.

Are you leaving Jassi?
Although I haven't completely made up my mind, in all likelihood, I will. My contract is ending soon, and the negotiations don't look like going in my favour. I am not happy with my fee and I just want to ensure that I don't get a raw deal.

Normally, a contract is for one year. I have signed a one-and-a-half year deal.

One expects to get an increment after that. Everyone else on the show seems to have got one. Besides, my price has gone up over the last two years and I deserve a fresh contract.

Is it all about money?
Well, no. It's not all about money. I also want to make sure that my track is given more importance. But the producers have given me no indication that I will get what I have asked for.

Do you like the track the show is taking?
I haven't actually been watching the show. But from what I hear of the ratings, it's doing well. I normally read my part and act. I don't have time right now to go through the whole screenplay.

Is your character getting enough importance on the show?
Right now it is. But there was a dip earlier. For almost three months, I wasn't even on the show. I do understand their perspective, they have to follow a script, but after helping get a show to where it is, I feel slighted. I don't blame them, though.

At what point did you start feeling unhappy?
When I was I was off the show for a while. Instead of being promoted, I felt demoted.

What has Sony's reaction been?
I haven't heard a thing from them. This is between the producer and me. I don't want to run to Sony and complain. It's not professional.

The show has received a year's extension. Will you stay on if your terms are accepted?
I would love to continue. It's not always easy to be involved with a hit show. Though thankfully, I have been more than lucky on TV.

If you move on, who would you recommend for your part?
That's a real tough question. I don't know who can pull off the look and feel of my character. Arshad Warsi would be ideal. 

What are some of the roles you would like to do on TV?
I would love to do a comedy show – something along the lines of Frasier. I don't think there is a good comedy show on air right now. I want to do an intelligent, yet fun comedy. I know I can deliver the part and we definitely have capable writers, I am just waiting for some channel to take up the challenge.

Are you like Raj in real life?
No. I am not gregarious at all. And I'm definitely not as desperate as my character. I am an introvert, actually. But that's what's great about acting, you get to do all sorts of things you wouldn't do in real life.

Any new shows in the pipeline?
If I don't do Jassi, I will take a break for a while. There are some things that I am working on, let's see. There are also some pilots that I have shot for.

amic@mid-day.com

My favourite Jassi moment...

Is the one where I fall in love with Jassi. It's completely absurd, considering I was always putting her down. It was also really hard for me, because I know Jessica. I had to convince myself that I was falling in love with this hot, sought after model.

Parmeet Sethi

The show gets a year's extension

Come May, Jassi Jassi Koi Nahin was supposed to come to its natural conclusion.
The serial that ruled the hearts and minds of working class women was getting ready for its last episode. Diehard fans of the show had bid goodbye to the characters they loved and watched for two whole years.

Now, the plan has changed. The good news is that Jassi has been given a one-year extension. 

The girl with the frumpy clothes, braces and oversized glasses has transformed into a well-groomed young woman, with an enviable wardrobe and trendy hairstyle.

Armaan loves her. Professionally and personally, things couldn't be better. General opinion says there's nothing more left to say. But Jassi still generates interest. And on television, the rule seems to be, if it runs, keep it running.

So, Sony has given a year's extension to the serial. Confirming this, producer Deeya Singh says, "I am very happy. We expected an extension, but the feeling after getting it is entirely different."

How will the story go forward? "Work is in progress on that," says Singh. "We are extending the show because we are confident that we have a good story to tell.

The whole show will be going ahead. Every character is sharply etched and the story is doing really well, so the ship will move forward. Right now, we don't want to reveal much about the twists and turns in the storyline."

Can't wait to find out what's in store for Jassi in the coming months.

lashy IF-Stunnerz
lashy
lashy

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 3:45am | IP Logged
its sad that hes opting out...but its also soooo co-incidental that just 2 days back i was thinking that the only person who could fit his role well enough would be arshad warsi.....
WinkWinkWink
bebo Newbie
bebo
bebo

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged

i'm not happy dat parmeet sethi is leavingCry

dont go raj pls, who'll make us laugh in dis serial, only u from arman side

and nandu from  jassi side!LOL

But wel don u hav played ur part as arman's frnd successfully as in BLF, I think much betterClapu r grt actor and

comedian.

kdokka Senior Member
kdokka
kdokka

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged
Parmeet Sethi was brilliant as Raj, I hope he stays. JJKN would not be the same without him.
bas02 Goldie
bas02
bas02

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 8:53am | IP Logged

oh nooooooooooooo I want Raj to stayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

he is hilarious!! his character lightens up the show!! oh i really hope he doesn't go... it won't be fun if he leaves!Cry

Emaa Senior Member
Emaa
Emaa

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged
i'll miss him, i always looked fwd to his scenes..i hope he doesnt leave
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top