Pure Punjabi Songs - translation needed

kavyasam thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Hi everyone , 

Sat Sri Akaal  ,  Happy Lohri. 

I need a big favour and will be very happy if someone can translate this song or summarise the meaning of this song.  This is originally by Gurudas Maan , but it is also been used in a different version in the new movie Pure Punjabi.  I am  non punjabi,  I loved  the video for this song in this movie but am not able to understand the lyrics.  If it is not trouble then I have couple more songs that I need translation for :).   thanks in advance.

Gurdas Maan - Challa Lyrics

Ho jaavo ni koi mor liyavo,

ni mere naal gaya ajj lad ke,

Oh allah kare jeh aa jaave sohna,

devan jaan kadma vich dhar ke.

ho Challa beri oye buhe, Ve vatan mahi da door e,

ve jaana pehle poor e, ve gall sun challeya chora,

Ve kahda laya ee jhora.

ho challa khooh te dhariye, challa khooh te dhariyeve
gallan mooh te kariye,

ve sacche rabb ton dariye, ve gall sun challeya dhola,

Ve rabb ton kahda ee ohla.

ho challa kaaliyan mirchan, ve mohra pee ke marsaan,

ve sire tere chdsan, ve gall sun challeya dhola,

ve saad ke keeta ee kola.

ho challa nau nau theve, ve puttar mithde meve,

ve allah sabh nu deve, ve gall sun challeya kanvaan,

ve manvaan thandiyan chaanvan.

ho challa kann diyan dandian, ve saare pind vich bhandian,

ve gallan chajj paa chandian, ve gall sun challeya dhola,

ho challa gal di ve gani, ve tur gaye dilan de jani

ve meri dukhan di kahani, ve aa ke sunja dhola

ve tetton khada ee ohla

ho challa paya ee gehne, oye sajan veli na rehne

oye dukh zindri de sehne, ve gal sun chalia dhola

ve kahda pana ee raula

PS: mods if these kind of threads are not allowed kindly close it.

Edited by kavyasam - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: kavyasam

Hi everyone , 

Sat Sri Akaal  ,  Happy Lohri. 

I need a big favour and will be very happy if someone can translate this song or summarise the meaning of this song.  This is originally by Gurudas Maan , but it is also been used in a different version in the new movie Pure Punjabi.  I am  non punjabi,  I loved  the video for this song in this movie but am not able to understand the lyrics.  If it is not trouble then I have couple more songs that I need translation for :).   thanks in advance.

Gurdas Maan - Challa Lyrics

Ho jaavo ni koi mor liyavo, Someone go bring him back

ni mere naal gaya ajj lad ke, He left after fighting with me

Oh allah kare jeh aa jaave sohna, O Allah, please bring back my love

devan jaan kadma vich dhar ke. I'd give my life to him

ho Challa beri oye buhe, Ve vatan mahi da door e,  Unsure of this verse

ve jaana pehle poor e, ve gall sun challeya chora,

Ve kahda laya ee jhora.

ho challa khooh te dhariye, challa khooh te dhariyeve Put the challa/ ring? on the well?
gallan mooh te kariye, Talk face to face

ve sacche rabb ton dariye, ve gall sun challeya dhola, Fear from God, listen to me O Challeya

Ve rabb ton kahda ee ohla. It's never hidden from God

ho challa kaaliyan mirchan
, ve mohra pee ke marsaan, black chillis, O challa.

ve sire tere chdsan, ve gall sun challeya dhola,

ho challa nau nau theve, ve puttar mithde meve, O challa, give us 9 sons?

ve allah sabh nu deve, ve gall sun challeya kanvaan, Allah should give all, listen to me O Challeya

ve manvaan thandiyan chaanvan. a cool shade

ho challa kann diyan dandian, ve saare pind vich bhandian, Jaggery distributed to the whole village

ve gallan chajj paa chandian, ve gall sun challeya dhola,

ho challa gal di ve gani, ve tur gaye dilan de jani Oh Challa, the necklace, my sweetheart has left me

ve meri dukhan di kahani, ve aa ke sunja dhola Story of my pain, come listen love

ve tetton khada ee ohla What can i hide from you

ho challa paya ee gehne, oye sajan veli na rehne

oye dukh zindri de sehne, ve gal sun chalia dhola

ve kahda pana ee raula

PS: mods if these kind of threads are not allowed kindly close it.

I tried. 😳
kavyasam thumbnail
@harjot -  thank you so much for replying 😃.   I felt the song had some intense meaning it appears to be so.   I came to know that the lyrics have been changed in the movie but since I din understand I had just googled the lyrics for challa and these came up :),  I think in the movie  the song has been sung in different version to summarise the same meaning in different context.  thanks a ton again for translating, it really helped.😳 
DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
It has a very intense meaning but its quite hard for non-punjabis to get the actual meaning, you must be like W*F ðŸ˜†  Challa is a very famous song and many of the words have like really deep meanings so you won't get it I think.

Ve maanvan are "maanvan" = mothers.. you know that right Jot 🤣 

pssht such a Canadian you are LOL 😛
JasToronto thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Harjot*

I tried. 😳

Good day kavyasam & harjot,

Well, I've tried my best to add notes/transl. here. Although Harjot has done a wonderful job.

You see this punjabi folk song is in Boliyaa or Tappe form which is a style of poetry with rhyming words. You know sometimes translation doesn't look that effective but believe me you really enjoy it when you know the language. 

kind regards,

Jas.  
kavyasam thumbnail
Originally posted by: JaspalToronto

Good day kavyasam & harjot,

Well, I've tried my best to add notes/transl. here. Although Harjot has done a wonderful job.

You see this punjabi folk song is in Boliyaa or Tappe form which is a style of poetry with rhyming words. You know sometimes translation doesn't look that effective but believe me you really enjoy it when you know the language. 

kind regards,

Jas.  

thank you so much for adding more notes and explaining the song.  but agree that I cant get the complete essense.  for true meaning we need to know the language.  ki karaa inna vi punjabi aandi mainu, lol.  that was my attempt to say I can understand very little punjabi.  lyrics in this movie are different and now I feel may be the entire meaning is different there. 

thanks to you both for helping me.  😳.  
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: HiphopStahKiran

It has a very intense meaning but its quite hard for non-punjabis to get the actual meaning, you must be like W*F ðŸ˜†  Challa is a very famous song and many of the words have like really deep meanings so you won't get it I think.

Ve maanvan are "maanvan" = mothers.. you know that right Jot 🤣 

pssht such a Canadian you are LOL 😛

Oh right. 🤣 I read the word wrong. 🤣

HEY! I translated more than half of the song! Canadians are the best. 😎
JasToronto thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@kavyasam,

koye gal nahi ji kavya ji, tussi holi holi sekh jayoge ji punjabi. It is a very easy language to learn but punjabi spoken in villages and written in folk songs is really difficult.

Please keep this thread open and you can post more lyrics for trans. & explanation. We will do our best to help you.😊
lowet thumbnail
CHALLA is talked in different terms here challa is symbolising lover (wife) and he(husband) has gone out of the city after having fight with her. other beloved is trying to remember him and hoping that he will be back soon as it is a love season. in this song wife give reference to ma and urge him to come back and tells that she will put black chilli powder out (superstition)
lowet thumbnail
Ho jaavo ni koi mor liyavo, some one go and fetch back my beloved

ni mere naal gaya ajj lad ke, he is gone out after having fight with me today

Oh allah kare jeh aa jaave sohna,oh god if my lover comes back tody 

devan jaan kadma vich dhar ke. i am ready to die at his feet.

in a sense pls. do some thing and bring him back. i am reay to do anything for that

ho Challa beri oye buhe, Ve vatan mahi da door e, challa - ring. there is lover season but my beloved is so far away

ve jaana pehle poor e, ve gall sun challeya chora, but i want to meet him now during the start of the season

Ve kahda laya ee jhora.challa-ring/lover why are you taking so long 
in olden days ladies used to wait for their husband to come back esp. during sawan

ho challa khooh te dhariye, challa khooh te dhariyev we used to meet at well openly
gallan mooh te kariye, speak in front of everyone but not at back

ve sacche rabb ton dariye, ve gall sun challeya dhola, we should fear from god almighty

Ve rabb ton kahda ee ohla. god is self Omni's. he knows everything

lady is trying to say to her beloved that we should meet and speak in front of everyone not at back and should clear our misunderstanding

ho challa kaaliyan mirchan, ve mohra pee ke marsaan,i will put out black chilli (superstition) 

ve sire tere chdsan, ve gall sun challeya dhola, take it from your head, but listen to me beloved

ve saad ke keeta ee kola. i have made them turn black
here lady is referring that some one who was not happy with them did some thing to him and she is ready to take every step to fix that problem. superstition

ho challa nau nau theve, ve puttar mithde meve, she is saying that son are real blessing for the family

ve allah sabh nu deve, ve gall sun challeya kanvaan, every one should have a son

ve manvaan thandiyan chaanvan. mother are shade from everything

she is saying that they will kids (son) together and make him remember his mother
ho challa kann diyan dandian, ve saare pind vich bhandian, challa is like earing (wooden) everybody knows about them. just to rhyme it

ve gallan chajj paa chandian, ve gall sun challeya dhola, useless people have nothing else to talk about

ve saad ke keeta ee kola. oh beloved you have made me really depressed

ho challa gal di ve gani, ve tur gaye dilan de jani oh beloved it is coming truly from my heart thst ladies whose beloved leaves them

ve meri dukhan di kahani, ve aa ke sunja dhola it is my sad story or saga. pls. come andlisten to it once

ve tetton khada ee ohla there is no hide and seek from you about my feeling. you know about them

ho challa paya ee gehne, oye sajan veli na rehne oh you are my beloved. lover (me) not gona live that long

oye dukh zindri de sehne, ve gal sun chalia dhola it is life long suffering. plscome and listen to me once

ve kahda pana ee raula why you are making it a big deal