•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago
Pongal is traditionally dedicated to the Sun God surya.It coincides with the festival Makara Sankranthi celebrated throughout India as the winter harvest

Bhogi
The day preceding Pongal is called Bhogi when people discard old things and focus on new belongings.

Maattu Pongal

Maattu pongal is intended to honor the cattle that worked hard throughout the year. The farm bulls are given a bath, their horns painted and adorned with new sarees in some places.

Kaanum Pongal

During Kaanum Pongal (the word kaanum means "to view"), people visit relatives and friends to enjoy the festive season.Mukkanuma, the final day of Sankranthi festival, is celebrated to worship cattle. Mukkanuma is famous among the non-vegetarians of the society. People do not eat any non-vegetarian during the first three days of the festival and eat it only on the day of Mukkanuma.

Happy Sankranthi

Edited by shinybandi - 12 years ago
Thnak you and wish you the same.

Happy Bhogi to all the members
Thanks so much and wish u too the same
Happy Makar Sankaranti to all and Pongal to those who celebrate it and Lohri ki bahut bahut vadiyiya
Nice post. Happy Pongal/Sankrati to all of you.  ðŸ˜Š
I'm tamilian. I have never heard about this mukkanuma. Maybe as we are vegetarians, i didn't know about it. Thanks for the info. 

Happy Pongal/sankranti to all. 
Edited by subhas123 - 12 years ago