Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Devon Ke Dev Mahadev - Verdict (Article)

**esha** thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Devon Ka Dev Mahadev

Divine bliss Daily, 8.00 pm, Life OK Cast: Surendra Pal, Mouni Roy, Mohit Raina Rating : *** The show is awe-inspiring with respect to its production values.The locales, the settings, the costumes (especially the ones worn by Sati and her jewellery) are stunning but the performances are average With the exception of Om Namah Shivay, which aired many years ago, Lord Shiva has largely been overlooked by Hindi serial makers. Life OK's new offering Devon Ka Dev Mahadev is like a breath of fresh air and a terrific lesson in the life of the bairagi destroyer, Shiva. It wouldn't be wrong if you can call it a divine love story between Shiva and Sati, the youngest daughter of Prajapati Daksh, the arrogant son of Lord Brahma. Inspired by the writings of Devdutt Patnaik (who has produced some seminal work on Shiva, retold Mahabharata and dealt with mythology in the last couple of years to bring it within the realm of the common man's understanding) and Bodhisatva, Mahadev is about Daksh's denial about the significance of Shiva and his daughter's love for the Lord. The show begins with Daksh's sthapana of the statue of Lord Vishnu. Everything seems to be in good order till the sages point out a glaring aspect that is lacking. There is no Shivalinga and hence the statue won't budge inside the temple. Not one to accept defeat, the arrogant King asks for parijaat flowers for the Narayani yagya he wants to perform for the installation of the statue. Sati volunteers to go to the forests to collect the flowers and that's when she stumbles upon Shiva's existence. Much as Sati tries to pull herself away from the vagabond God, she finds herself increasingly drawn towards him. The show is awe-inspiring with respect to its production values. The locales, the settings, the costumes (especially the ones worn by Sati and her jewellery) are stunning. However, the performances are average and the dialogues are cliched like 'Main chupchaap saare dukh sehti rahi' to the 'Main pratiksha karoongi, sheeghra hi apeksha' stuff. Mohit Raina as the mighty Mahadev is quite striking as far as the physical aspect is concerned. However, we would want him to be a little more expressive. Mouni Roy as the petite, fragile Sati is also stiff. She leaves a lot to be desired in the emotional scenes. She tries hard to convey the pathos and the pain but in vain. We wish someone better with more depth was cast in her place. It's a pleasure to see Surendra Pal as the arrogant Daksh, despite him scowling most of the time. The rest of the cast pitch in good performances. Notwithstanding the minor flaws, Mahadev is an engaging watch.

Verdict: An absolute must-watch!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

**esha** thumbnail
Do you agree with this verdict or not ?

Please Share if u agree with the verdict or not
I will add my review later
😊
Edited by **esha** - 12 years ago
cupid-struck thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
i agree with most of it..except i like sati cast, i think she plays the petite and fragile sati very well...expecially in scenes like when first time she sees mahadev and stuff...
Sia889 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Oh here goes the critics 😡...come on they are decent in performance pov
Tell me did anyone actually see Gods in real?

JO karre hai unhe discourage karna asaan hai...atleast in this age n time ppl have still faith that the show would be watched...our culture will sustain..humhee isske kadr nai karenge toh humare next generation toh lite lelenge iss baatko (not to be sound like some ortho ...dnt like ppl who discourage)

One point is that the Language is not entirely Sanskrit its as far as that's concerned its somewhere near pure Hindi-Urdu...That's the only thing which irks me..rest is perfect
Edited by Killer_Shark - 12 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I think Mouni and Mohit are doing a swell job..the very first episode had brilliant acting,the first meeting gives me goose bumps!..

the dialogues arent Sanskrit,they are layman Hindi-but big deal?...had it been in typical Hindi no once would have been able to under stand...
its a thumbs up from me!
QtnNotti thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hi  All ! 

I pretty much agree with the article, except where it talks about Mohit's performance. I feel he's acting aptly and delivering what is required of him at this point in the story. Overdoing anything in his expressions, will hinder the main essence of the show. That shouldn't happen.

Not gonna lie, when the show had started airing it's promos, I always felt Mouni in the role of Devi Sati might not do justice to the character and pardon me for still holding onto that thought. Please don't hate me, but I personally feel a more prettier girl should have been chosen.
Also, the role requires heavy "mythological" flavour and intonation. She has to fine tune her voice pitch and dialogue delivery. I hope she works on herself soon. Not to mention, her dance was impeccable yesterday and I enjoyed it very much ðŸ˜Š 
She's a good actress but this role requires more ! That's all, thank u ðŸ˜Š
Edited by QtnNotti - 12 years ago
sur001 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
i agree with all the positive points mentioned about the show. . .And both Mohit and Mouni are really doing justice to their characters. . .In one sentence I am enjoying the show very much. . .Its a great show
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

The article is good. Language is much better then I've heard in other mythos. If they use more Sanskrit words, some viewers may not understand. Acting of Mouni is good, if she emotes more, her character will look like one of those ever crying lady of other fiction shows. She is Godess Shakti, I wouldn't like her to over emote. Mohit is good, the show has just started, let's give them some time, I am sure they all will do well.

**esha** thumbnail
Originally posted by: mnx12

The article is good. Language is much better then I've heard in other mythos. If they use more Sanskrit words, some viewers may not understand. Acting of Mouni is good, if she emotes more, her character will look like one of those ever crying lady of other fiction shows. She is Godess Shakti, I wouldn't like her to over emote. Mohit is good, the show has just started, let's give them some time, I am sure they all will do well.

i agree with you, the show just started, i am sure as the show progresses they will improve, but loving the show now, i also think mohit and mouni are both doing justice to their characters.
Originally posted by: shruti.nil

I think Mouni and Mohit are doing a swell job..the very first episode had brilliant acting,the first meeting gives me goose bumps!..

the dialogues arent Sanskrit,they are layman Hindi-but big deal?...had it been in typical Hindi no once would have been able to under stand...
its a thumbs up from me!

OMG same...tht gav ME GOOSEBUMPS TOO in the first meeting...and i think thy r perfect for da roles,..but Mouni needs to emote more..😊