Mona beyond Jassi

tazu Groupbie
tazu
tazu

Posted: 12 April 2005 at 11:17am | IP Logged
Mona beyond Jassi

Somashukla Sinha Walunjkar

New Delhi, April 12, 2005|17:07 IST
<> var href= window.location.href; href = href.substring(7); var idx = href.indexOf("/"); var relpath = href.substring(idx); document.write("" + "
");
0.gif" width=1>
var zflag_nid="294"; var zflag_cid="1"; var zflag_sid="0"; var zflag_width="180"; var zflag_height="150"; var zflag_sz="13";

Mona Singh might have chucked her 'Jassi glasses' and shrugged off the shapeless salwar-kameezes but things haven't changed much in her life off the screen.

Like her screen persona, Mona was "taken aback" when the makeover happened. "I saw a new face staring at me from the mirror," she says. "I had been living Jassi's life for one and a half years, after all. But I don't miss the old Jassi. Change is a way of life. I was deluged by fan mail saying I should get a makeover. Now, most of them compliment me. I get a bit conscious when I see myself these days."

Considering that Jassi was supposed to be a 'girl-next-door' icon, was the 'glam babe' makeover necessary? "You can be beautiful and still inspire people. Jassi's outer appearance has changed but she's still the same person," says Mona. "Jessica, the new Jassi, is a professional model who's gunning for revenge, she's not bitchy."

Mona admits that if she were Jassi in real life, she'd do "all the things" that Jassi is doing to get even with all those who have wronged her and her family. "Only, I wouldn't want to marry Armaan no matter how repentant he is," she adds. "Purab has been a pillar of support and I would go for him. On television I am guided by the script and have to do what I am told."

Mona's contract is expected to expire in May. What happens next? "I am open to modelling and films. In May I'll take a small break to chill out. But there can't be Jassi without me. I don't want to do any television after that." Says Tarun Katial, vice president, Sony: "It's too early to say but Jassi's not going off air any time soon."

Mona meanwhile spends most of her waking hours shooting for her soap, hosting shows for Sony and going to a fitness club once a week. "I like being busy, I'd get restless if I were to be home even for three hours. I like having no time for myself."

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top