Starryskies thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
g TV : TelechipZ (GAURAV GERA)

Alter Ego?

He's the typical boy-next-door! Ordinary looks, someone you wouldn't give a second glance at. Now, that's his image on screen. In the Sony Entertainment Television's mega teleserial Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin! he plays Nandu, the alter ego of lead character Jasmeet Walia aka Jassi, with spectacles, a backpack and no attitude. But meet Gaurav Gera in real life andโ€ฆyou'll be blown away.

One look at him and you rub your eyes in disbelief! For, contrary to his Nandu get-up the guy who welcomes me is a smart-looking gentleman. Someone, he confesses, "who always dreamt of becoming an actor but never dared to put his best foot forward."

And why the hesitation? "Well," candidly confesses the actor, "to be honest, I was afraid of scornful remarks from society because in our country there are hundreds with stars in their eyes, who want to make it either to television or the big screen. Thus, there is now a common trend to laugh at budding film aspirants. The first reaction is, 'Chehra dekha hai kabhi aine mein?' (What makes you think you'd qualify?).  Hence, embarrassed by such taunts I initially did curb my ambition. But one can't keep such aspirations hidden for long. For, no sooner did I complete my graduation, that I decided to take the plunge into the acting arena."

Born in Haryana, Gaurav comes from an elite family. His father owns an engineering firm. His brother is a software engineer in United States. As for Gaurav he holds a degree in garment fashion designing. He was employed as a production manager in a reputed garment design factory in Delhi when he bid goodbye to his flourishing career in peruse of his dreams in Bollywood.

His initial years in Mumbai were tough. Recollecting his early days Gaurav says, "I landed in Mumbai in 1998 armed with theatre experience and a solo advertising film to my credit. I felt it was enough to make an entry. But that was not to be. Life was tough. To survive I joined a musical group that paid me a modest two thousand rupees per month which sufficed for my daily meals and lodging."

Later, with few popular ad films like Nestle, Munch, Bajaj M-80, Fair 'n' Lovely etc. life slowly began to smile on Gaurav. In 2000, after a two-year struggle, eminent T.V. serial makers Tony and Diya of Just Mohabbat fame selected him to play the lead in their Star Plus Serial Life Nahi Hai Laddoo. The serial completed about 39 episodes and Gaurav as 'Laddoo' was being appreciated when unfortunately Star Plus abruptly discontinued the serial replacing it with Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki. Thus ended the short-lived success story of Gaurav Gera.

After Life Nahi Hai Laddoo, Gaurav did many tit-bit roles including a film role. He appeared in the Amitabh Bachchan movie Kyon Ho Gaya Na. Yet, the kind of fame Gaurav expected eluded him. "In fact, I was so disappointed with the snail-like speed of my career that I was planning to pack my bags and return to Delhi", rues Gaurav.

However, fate smiled on him. Again, it was the kind Tony and Diya who came to his rescue, "Truly, I owe a lot to the duo," confides Gaurav as he continues, "They were planning Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi and called me to play the character of Nandu, which was the 'male version' of Jassi. They were so confident of it's success that the told me to concentrate on my role and await its result. Indeed, they proved to be right. Today I'm recognized more by my character, Nandu, than my name."

On being quizzed if he believed in the message that the serial propagated, Gaurav nods his head in affirmation. He says, "Physical beauty is not everything. Everyone is not born beautiful, but what everyone possesses is the ability to build up a strong personality. You need a clean heart, the determination to make it big despite the odds, and make a mark for yourself.  In fact, one of my own cousins is not so attractive and yet she has built a business empire and is a pride to our family", reveals Gaurav.

Coming to his brand of comedy, Gaurav believes in situational pranks and dialogue punched humor.  "Though it is difficult, unlike the slapsticks comedy, I enjoy", quips Gaurav. As for his favourite comedian, Gaurav selects Om Puri. Says he, "To keep a straight face and yet make people laugh, is a very difficult thing to do."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rumi thumbnail
 wow! thanks for the article!
~*Naina*~ thumbnail
thankz  for the articel...
mikagurl23 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
thanx for the article. mann he does look good. he was in a film, i forgot what it was called, i got it, he was in lakshya. he looked okay in there but wierd hair. but he does look great in real life.
punjabiprincess thumbnail
Thanks for sharing the article.๐Ÿ˜Š
sukh thumbnail
thanks for sharing the article,๐Ÿ˜‰
shiverz thumbnail

thanks for the article!๐Ÿ˜Š

This content was originally posted by: mikagurl23

thanx for the article. mann he does look good. he was in a film, i forgot what it was called, i got it, he was in lakshya. he looked okay in there but wierd hair. but he does look great in real life.

i'm not sure if he was in lakshya, but i know for sure that he was in "kyun.. ho gaya naa"

mango thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

he was not in lakshya (as far as i know) he was in kyun ho gaya na (he looked really cool in that movie)

thanks a lot for the article