Kkusum

Abhay tries his hand at production

Nankri IF-Rockerz
Nankri
Nankri

Posted: 12 April 2005 at 2:56am | IP Logged

Mulit-tasker:
Anuj Saxena has a new off-screen role
As the polygamous Abhay in the Sony daily Kkusum, Anuj Saxena has to contend with his present wife Kkusum, along with two former wives Mahi and Taashu.

Add to this the children — Kumud, Kali and Trishul — and their problems, and Abhay has to strike that perfect balance between all the members of his extended family.

Off-screen, too, he performs a balancing act of sorts. He's a doctor-turned-actor, runs his family's pharmaceutical business and has just acquired a brand new role as producer.

Saxena has opened a production company called Maverick Productions Private Limited, housed at Andheri to produce TV shows, ad films and movies.

Says Saxena, "I like to explore new things in life. I wanted to expand my horizons beyond acting and running the family business. After evaluating a couple of options, the idea of floating a production house sounded the best."

As for the name, Maverick Productions, he says, "The term maverick describes me to the T. I never like run-of-the-mill things in life. A friend came up with this name and we went ahead with it. I have a young team of professionals to run the production house."

Saxena, who earlier featured as Karan Singh in Saara Akash (Star Plus), also stars as mamma's boy Amol in the daily Prratima (SaharaOne). He will also be seen on the big screen in Sameer Malkan's thriller Lips — The Kiss of Death. But turning producer does not mean he will cut down on acting assignments.

"Acting will remain my top-most priority. I want to strike a balance between TV and films."

So does this mean the serials he produces will have him in the cast as well? "Not necessarily," he says. "In those shows I will stick to playing only producer."

Meanwhile, Abhay's co-stars, directors and soap writers, who are on the lookout for fresh options, now know where to apply.

Other TV folk who own production houses:

Aroona Irani
Deepti Bhatnagar
Reena Wadhwa
Dheeraj Kumar
Javed and Naved Jaffrey

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top