Best Love Stories on Indian Television!

chillyflakes thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

I am jotting down some of the best romance based serials to be aired on Indian-Television, the ones I can remember atleast! Surprisingly, most of them were aired on Doordarashan😆 

Farmaan - Kanwaljeet Singh and a new dame called Deepika. Typical Mills & Boons story line, innocent, incorruptible, poor gal meets up with the man of the world, snooty, wealth guy......sparks fly and after inital rounds of misunderstanding (and some smooching, surprisingly!) the twain meet! The chemistry between the even today so handsome Kanwaljeet and the girl was just spot-on.......I don't remember missing one single episode of this!

Kash-m-Kash - Javed Jaffrey and Suchitra Krishnamoorthy.. Another typical Mills & Boons story, the staid, serious, career minded hero and the childish, spontenous, vivacious heroine.....they end up getting hitched to each other without wanting to, and when they do fall in love, they have to go their seperate ways. This serial was just shot in 26 episodes, but I still remember it vividly. The interactions between Javed & Suchitra were just beautiful, and the way they quietly fall in love with one another.....wish they would air it once again!

Kashish - Sudesh Beri and Malvika Tiwari. Once agian, another Mills & boons type story (the producers would have brought the books in dozens!) where the guy plays a successful, snoooty, aloof, depressed director and the gal is a newcomer in the Industry. He keeps chiding her, scolding her, insulting her, just to hide his deep feelings for her......great one!

Kurukshetra - This serial was aired on Zee, though the serial was anything but romantic (I think Parmeet Sethi was the lead in it) there was a side track between Ashish Vidhyarthi (yeah, the ugly guy!) and a very pretty girl, Ashish played a Muslim Cop and the gal is his Hindu wife.....their romance was so real, so touching, and they had a typical bickering yet loving Husband - wife scenes! I still remember the scene where the gal dies in his arms and he breaks down crying telling her that he has died along with her!

Imtihaan - Oh, I loved Renuka Shahane and the guy who plays Bunty in it. Even though they go their seperate ways and even though their love is an entirely one-sided affair (the guy is in love with her)

Trishna - (Thnx to Lata)Who can forget the melt-in-your-mouth, cheeky, high-handed but incredibly handsome Tarun Dhanrajgir and my namesake, who gives him as good as she gets! I think it was a classic love story, but not an original one ofcourse! It is being aired these days on Doordarshan, but seems so mouldy and old-fashioned now!

Kshitij yeh Nahin - (Thnx to Swati) Another great serial! Both the lead Supriya and the guy acted superbly. It was a mature love story dealth with great sensitivity and mellowness!

Kutumb - My favourite serial in recent times! Gosh, I fell head over heels in love with Hiten after watching Kutumb. And I don't think any other screen pair comes near Gauri & Hiten, their chemistry in Kutumb was just WOW...............

There are so many more, but can't remember any right now! Do come up with some, all time great romantic serials that any one of you can remember!!!

Chilly

Edited by chillyflakes - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swathi thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Great topic chillyflakes...I do agree with your choice...I think that the Sudesh berry and Malvika tiwari one was called as Kashish (and not Kasak)...I still remember the name as at that time I was a novice with Hindi language and had to look up the dictionary to figure it out that it meant attraction. That was a great one with only 6 episodes..and the title song with only the instrumental music was quite a rage at that time...

Even I liked the Bunty - Renuka Shahane track better in Imtihaan....Felt so sad when she did not receiprocate..

The other serial that I remember is 'Kshitij yeh nahin' that was aired on Doordarshan. Cannot be called as a complete romantic one though....It had Rajit Kapoor, the lady who was the bahu in 'Tu Tu main main' and the one another guy. The protagonist was a widow with a kid (Rajit  Kapoor was the husband and they used to show him in flashback) and this new guy comes to their city (don't remember exactly how). She does get attracted to him but does not express her feelings. Lastly in a dramatic end they show him in some kind of a mock accident and she is so worried abt him and hence pours out her feelings (Film 'Deewana' way la Divya bharathi and SRK)...

Will add a few more if and when I remember them....

Swathi

bunmaska thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

oh wow Chilly 👏👏 and a peck on ur cheek for making me all nostalgic. wonderful u remember the names of the serials so well even now. I too would like to add some more to this list though I don't remember it as clearly as you do. All DD serials.

Humlog - Though it is something we saw in our childhood I loved to watch Ashwini Kumar and Badki's love story as well as one Gayatri and SomaSundaram 😉. Though those days romantic scenes nothing much was shown but only conveyed through their eyes and slight hand touch.

Buniyaad - Veerawali ( Kiran Joneja) and Vijayendra's typical Aradhana type romantic scene.

Phir Wahi Talash - Another serial I loved watching again Ashwini Kumar and the lady's name I forgot ( who was Neelima Azeem's friend in the serial).

And my all time favourite  Trishna- 😳 Tarun Dhanrajgir (We all used to swooooooon watching him) and Sangeeta Handa  which was an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice novel.

And yeah Imtihaan- Renuka Shahane and Bunty's romance was shown so beautifully.

And ya Swathi Kshitij ye nahin- wow beautiful, Supriya Sabnis( Sachin's wife ) and Rajit Kapoor were fabulous , later Tushar Dalvi comes in the serial ( he happens to be from my college a senior ).

And I could go on and on but right now can't remember them.

Cheers

Lata

Edited by Lata - 19 years ago
bunmaska thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
undoubtedly Chilly, Hiten and Gauri is the best pair and clearly watching them we could say Marriages are made in Heaven ( jodiyaa swarg mein banti hain) Really made for each other pair. GOD Bless Them.
sugar plum thumbnail

chilly how old are u?😉 i have never even HEARD of these... maybe you cud add saans to your list... neena gupta and kanwaljeet singh again... and a fairly old one called hasratein on zee... with the lady who plays amitabh's wife in the new film waqt. does ne1 remember... i think i was about 6yrs old at that time... another 1 i can think of is banegi apni baat... got pretty boring at the end...

none of these are really classic love stories basically because i don't remember them having even a drop of sugary romance... it was always about fighting... and then realising... no romance at all...😕

TheBlackJaguar thumbnail
Great collection Chilly.Farmaan was .....PURE FIRE.It went sizzle...sizzle.Kutumb is one of my eternal favourites too.

DOMINUS VOBISCUM SPIRITUO TUO.

Take care,
GOD BLESS YOU,
nitica.
kdokka thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: chillyflakes

I am jotting down some of the best romance based serials to be aired on Indian-Television, the ones I can remember atleast! Surprisingly, most of them were aired on Doordarashan😆 

Farmaan - Kanwaljeet Singh and a new dame called Deepika. Typical Mills & Boons story line, innocent, incorruptible, poor gal meets up with the man of the world, snooty, wealth guy......sparks fly and after inital rounds of misunderstanding (and some smooching, surprisingly!) the twain meet! The chemistry between the even today so handsome Kanwaljeet and the girl was just spot-on.......I don't remember missing one single episode of this!

Kash-m-Kash - Javed Jaffrey and Suchitra Krishnamoorthy.. Another typical Mills & Boons story, the staid, serious, career minded hero and the childish, spontenous, vivacious heroine.....they end up getting hitched to each other without wanting to, and when they do fall in love, they have to go their seperate ways. This serial was just shot in 26 episodes, but I still remember it vividly. The interactions between Javed & Suchitra were just beautiful, and the way they quietly fall in love with one another.....wish they would air it once again!

Kashish - Sudesh Beri and Malvika Tiwari. Once agian, another Mills & boons type story (the producers would have brought the books in dozens!) where the guy plays a successful, snoooty, aloof, depressed director and the gal is a newcomer in the Industry. He keeps chiding her, scolding her, insulting her, just to hide his deep feelings for her......great one!

Kurukshetra - This serial was aired on Zee, though the serial was anything but romantic (I think Parmeet Sethi was the lead in it) there was a side track between Ashish Vidhyarthi (yeah, the ugly guy!) and a very pretty girl, Ashish played a Muslim Cop and the gal is his Hindu wife.....their romance was so real, so touching, and they had a typical bickering yet loving Husband - wife scenes! I still remember the scene where the gal dies in his arms and he breaks down crying telling her that he has died along with her!

Imtihaan - Oh, I loved Renuka Shahane and the guy who plays Bunty in it. Even though they go their seperate ways and even though their love is an entirely one-sided affair (the guy is in love with her)

Trishna - (Thnx to Lata)Who can forget the melt-in-your-mouth, cheeky, high-handed but incredibly handsome Tarun Dhanrajgir and my namesake, who gives him as good as she gets! I think it was a classic love story, but not an original one ofcourse! It is being aired these days on Doordarshan, but seems so mouldy and old-fashioned now!

Kshitij yeh Nahin - (Thnx to Swati) Another great serial! Both the lead Supriya and the guy acted superbly. It was a mature love story dealth with great sensitivity and mellowness!

Kutumb - My favourite serial in recent times! Gosh, I fell head over heels in love with Hiten after watching Kutumb. And I don't think any other screen pair comes near Gauri & Hiten, their chemistry in Kutumb was just WOW...............

There are so many more, but can't remember any right now! Do come up with some, all time great romantic serials that any one of you can remember!!!

Chilly

Hi, I am not a frequent visitor on this section of IF. But, I could not resist posting my views on this. I could not agree more on the above choices.

My all time favourites are Farmaan, kashish , followed by Trishna ( I dont remember much about it). I still remember Aiman and Azar nawab in Farmaan, it was amazing and fabulous.

anjali.nair thumbnail
I loved Kashish. God!! Malvika Tiwari was soooooo pretty. Where is she nowadyas?

Does any one remember Fauji? When Shahrukh Khan says that meri dil ki mallika to aasmaan se tapkegi and at that point the actress ( don't know her name) falls on him from a parachute and she is a doctor in Army hospital. Shahrukh then always has some 'bahaana' to go and meet her. It was funny. Also the love story between the guy who played Shahrukh Khan's elder brother and the girl.
sanya_s thumbnail

All of u forgot to mention one....KAISA YE PYAR HAI!

I think this is the only love story on tv now..I havent seen any of the others above, would love to, hope DD will  retelecast them, instead of the crap they show no....

PS: do any of u remember a programme "Oshin" i think that's the name, about a chinese girl...I used to watch it when I was little, but i just remember I used to like it..can anyone tell me more about it..