Harry Potter
Harry Potter

India-Forums

Who do you imagine...

AllonsyGeronimo IF-Dazzler
AllonsyGeronimo
AllonsyGeronimo

Posted: 02 January 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged
as the characters when you're reading the book?
I mean before the movies came out, who did you visualise, any particular actor that formed the face of a character?
After having seen the movies, do you visualise the actor as the character that they portray when you read the books again or have you still been consistent with your own image?

This may sound insane but when I first started reading Harry Potter, I imagined Grouds keeper Willie from The Simpsons in my mind to play Hagrid, even though its a cartoon character.

Willie

Same with Snape: Since GoF was the latest book to have come out when I started reading it properly, I didn't think Snape to be a grey character, the evilness (in my perception, at that time) and hooked nose description together led me to picturise him like so :P, no joke:
The Hooded Claw from Penelope Pitstop

However I do visualise Alan Rickman as Snape now. Him and Rupert being the only ones I adhere to from the movies.

As for McGonagall, I imagined her to be looking a lot more sterner than Maggie Smith. The actress who played Miss Hardbroom (intimidating deputy Head Mistress) from 'The Worst Witch', the CITV series is who I consider spot on:

And Trelawney will always be Miss Bat( (from the same show) to me. Coincidentally Miss Bat played a wacky/eccentric character who was always undermined by Miss Hardbroom, very similar to the McGonagall-Trelawney dynamic.

Sprout as Miss Cackle, again from the same show:

The Worst Witch would have made such a good recruit for HP movies. Approve
Nevertheless, I don't actually believe the actors are big misfits for their roles anymore, it's the screenplay and horrible directing that fails to do them justice. For eg. Mark Williams is actually an apt choice for Mr Weasley, having seen his portrayal as the Reverand against bigotry, fascism in the movie Anita and Me.

Sorry if this topic has been posted before.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ElusiveDevotion

ElusiveDevotion IF-Dazzler
ElusiveDevotion
ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 04 January 2012 at 6:19pm | IP Logged
Interesting topic and SO nice to see you here! :)

OMG, Willie from Simpsons as Hagrid, kaise? LOL

I actually got introduced to The Worst Witch show AFTER I started reading HP, so my first impressions of all HP characters are pretty much all from my own imagination (as in I don't think of any actor while reading it...just faces I have created). But I agree with you on the McGonagall, Trelawney and Sprout resemblances. In fact, when I watched Worst Witch I actually started comparing stuff from it to HP and had thought about the possibility of ppl from that show being casted for HP movies.

After watching the movies, I always imagine Alan Rickman as Snape, Maggie Smilth as McGonagall, Helena as Bella, Tom as Draco, Ralph as Voldemort and Richard Harris as DD...so the movies have defo. influenced my imagination as a reader. Another thing...as you already know, I have always imagined GHT as Romione from the very beginning...I honestly don't know why because first of all...GHT aren't even British nor are they the same age group...but mehLOL...there are a few similarities though...with one being HT ki lambi naak and Ron's looong nose. WinkTongueLOL

AllonsyGeronimo

AllonsyGeronimo
AllonsyGeronimo

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ninotchka

Interesting topic and SO nice to see you here! :)

OMG, Willie from Simpsons as Hagrid, kaise? LOL

Well I think the resemblances are uncanny- the accent, appearance and even their occupation being the same (till PoA). Everyone I share this with thinks I'm absurd, can't see why. Tongue LOL

I actually got introduced to The Worst Witch show AFTER I started reading HP, so my first impressions of all HP characters are pretty much all from my own imagination (as in I don't think of any actor while reading it...just faces I have created). But I agree with you on the McGonagall, Trelawney and Sprout resemblances. In fact, when I watched Worst Witch I actually started comparing stuff from it to HP and had thought about the possibility of ppl from that show being casted for HP movies.

After watching the movies, I always imagine Alan Rickman as Snape, Maggie Smilth as McGonagall, Helena as Bella, Tom as Draco, Ralph as Voldemort and Richard Harris as DD...so the movies have defo. influenced my imagination as a reader. Another thing...as you already know, I have always imagined GHT as Romione from the very beginning...I honestly don't know why because first of all...GHT aren't even British nor are they the same age group...but mehLOL...there are a few similarities though...with one being HT ki lambi naak and Ron's looong nose. WinkTongueLOL

I too have my own faces for most of them apart from the ones I mentioned- they came to me shortly after reading P'S. I've also always thought Felicity Jones (who played Ethel Hallow in TWW) would make a good Pansy Parkinson, she's a good actress as well and could potentially look good with Tom :)
I imagine Harry to look like how he does on TGoF cover- supercute!! lol

Yep I remember the GHT-Ronmione connection, after you pointed that out I could actually relate them to Ronmione as well. I think I have mentioned this earlier but the characters Tawny Dean and Louis Stevens from the US TV show, Even Stevens and the dynamic they share fit the Ron-Hermione mould too. They are sooo many similarities between the characters Louis being overshadowed by his overachiever siblings, having a great sense of humour, Tawny being the samrt one, reprimanding him for being insensitive, they hang out in a trio too. :D Now that I mention it, the actress who played Tawny Dean would make a perfect Hermione, Shia LaBeouf, however wouldn't suit Ron LOL:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tawny-dean

Lol, think I'm discussing more about who could suit the character mould rather than who I imagine.. so more to the point... I imagine Dumbledore to be the guy who plays Gandalf in the LOTR movies- played by Sir Ian Mckellen. He exudes warmth through his eyes and looks wise, whereas the way Michael Gambon plays DD makes him appear reckless and harsh. Richard Harris is better than him but still think Sir Ian McKellen is the best.

ElusiveDevotion

spiritcrimson IF-Sizzlerz
spiritcrimson
spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged
I never imagined existing actors, if you get what I mean. I'd just make up my own face reading the descriptions given. In my imagination, Hermione isn't very pretty, Ginny is extremely beautiful, Harry is tall, thin with messy black hair, and Ron's lanky and has a long nose.

I don't know if any actor fits my imagination, because I imagine them way too differently. They're not glamorous looking people, just ordinary people. That's what makes imagining them all the more fun :D

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

AllonsyGeronimoElusiveDevotion

ElusiveDevotion IF-Dazzler
ElusiveDevotion
ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged
Well I think the resemblances are uncanny- the accent, appearance and even their occupation being the same (till PoA). Everyone I share this with thinks I'm absurd, can't see why. Tongue LOL

Hey! sowwie for the late reply! Lol, it is bit out there, I thought no one could beat me in my strange HP comparisons/creative imaginations but I was wrong. LOL It does make sense what you're saying though. :P

I imagine Harry to look like how he does on TGoF cover- supercute!!

You mean like this (as in this cover?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/Harry_Potter_and_the_Goblet_of_Fire.jpg

or this

http://hyder-harry-potter.hostselect.net/pictures/harry_potter_and_the_goblet_of_fire_movie_uk.jpg

I think I have mentioned this earlier but the characters Tawny Dean and Louis Stevens from the US TV show, Even Stevens and the dynamic they share fit the Ron-Hermione mould too. They are sooo many similarities between the characters Louis being overshadowed by his overachiever siblings, having a great sense of humour, Tawny being the samrt one, reprimanding him for being insensitive, they hang out in a trio too. :D Now that I mention it, the actress who played Tawny Dean would make a perfect Hermione, Shia LaBeouf, however wouldn't suit Ron LOL:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tawny-dean

Oh yeah! You did mention it to me earlier, actually I've always wanted to see this show 'Even Stevens' considering everyone mentions this show and Lizzie as the two best/classic teen shows of the earlier Disney shows. I've seen Lizzie way too many times but never got a chance to see this one...II'll surely catch up on it now (I think all epis are on YT)...lol...really curious about the Tawny-Louis dynamic after the way you've described it. :) And whoa, the actress who plays her is actually really pretty and she WOULD make a cute Hermione. :P

For some reason, I always imagined Hermione as a fairly pretty girl...I mean not the 'drop dead gorgeous/head turner' kind but someone with a sweet/subtle charm and nice features. Like one of those girls who look ordinary (or rather just pleasant, nothing gorgeous) w/o makeup or dressing up but can be stunning when they do make an effort...kinda thought so cuz of Harry's surprised reaction at the Yule Ball when he doesn't recognize initially that the pretty girl with Krum (grrr at Krum) is Hermione.

but still think Sir Ian McKellen is the best.

Oh, didn't think of him, he would be a good DD too.

Edited by Ninotchka - 18 January 2012 at 12:50am

AllonsyGeronimo

chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged
Oh my gosh, the Worst Witch is a show? *insert random fangirling* I used to LOVE those books when I was a kid! :D

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

AllonsyGeronimoElusiveDevotion

dazzlingflora IF-Dazzler
dazzlingflora
dazzlingflora

Posted: 19 January 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged
when harry potter book first published i was too lil to understand the HP book... I was 3 year old when HP book published... And i was 6 years old when first installment of HP movie released... So i couldn't imagine anybody...infact i saw the movie first and then i read the book

AllonsyGeronimo

AllonsyGeronimo
AllonsyGeronimo

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ninotchka

@ spiritcrimson: That's the ideal way when reading the book! I wish I they could all be images conjured up by me but after having seen the movies, Rupert especially seeps into my imagination as Ron, when saying, 'Bloody Hell'. It helps too ofcourse that JKR considers him to be the perfect Ron. So when reading the book, its sometimes a wierd amalgamation of images I have created for certain characters, cartoon and actors. Wacko

Hey! sowwie for the late reply! NP at all. :) Lol, it is bit out there, I thought no one could beat me in my strange HP comparisons/creative imaginations but I was wrong. LOL It does make sense what you're saying though. :P
I seriously find it legit though, no joke. I probably should have kept that thought to myself considering the W*F expressions I've gotten on airing it. LOLLOL

You mean like this (as in this cover?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/Harry_Potter_and_the_Goblet_of_Fire.jpg
Yeah, this one!! Have always found him looking supercute here, so imagine harry to look like that somewhat. Dan can never be HP for me as cute as he may look at times.
or this

http://hyder-harry-potter.hostselect.net/pictures/harry_potter_and_the_goblet_of_fire_movie_uk.jpg

Oh yeah! You did mention it to me earlier, actually I've always wanted to see this show 'Even Stevens' considering everyone mentions this show and Lizzie as the two best/classic teen shows of the earlier Disney shows. I've seen Lizzie way too many times but never got a chance to see this one...II'll surely catch up on it now (I think all epis are on YT)...lol...really curious about the Tawny-Louis dynamic after the way you've described it. :) And whoa, the actress who plays her is actually really pretty and she WOULD make a cute Hermione. :P
You should SO see it! One of my all time fave pret- teen shows, can even watch it now. ES>LM for me. Don't go too much by my comparison of HR and TL, as in the case of Hagrid and GKW from The Simpsons, I tend to base it on a very superficial level. Embarrassed Even then, I'm sure you'll like it.

For some reason, I always imagined Hermione as a fairly pretty girl...I mean not the 'drop dead gorgeous/head turner' kind but someone with a sweet/subtle charm and nice features. Like one of those girls who look ordinary (or rather just pleasant, nothing gorgeous) w/o makeup or dressing up but can be stunning when they do make an effort...kinda thought so cuz of Harry's surprised reaction at the Yule Ball when he doesn't recognize initially that the pretty girl with Krum (grrr at Krum) is Hermione.
Ditto. I imagine Hermione and Luna to be pretty, not turning heads kind but exactly the way you've written it, couldn't have said it better myself.

ElusiveDevotion

Go to top