Posted: 31 December 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
I would like to start off by saying that the members in this forum have done a great job at making this a lovely place to be in. But just like everything else in life, there is always room for a little more improvement. And recently there have been a couple of issues that we have noticed around the forum and that we'd like to point out.
- Repetitive Threads: One of the biggest issues around the forum currently is the presence of repetitive threads. Every day, we notice about 2 or 3 topics that have more than 2 different threads about it e.g. the threads complaining about the pace of the show, the New Year's threads or the awards ceremony threads for this week. That is not acceptable guys! I understand that we get excited by a certain aspect of the show or a certain piece of news, but I would ask that from now on before we post a thread, lets just check the first 4-5 pages of the forum to see if someone has already made a similar thread. But posting multiple thread, we hurt healthy discussion because I for one get confused on what thread if ANY to post in when I see more than one threads on a topic. If we keep a certain topic limited to one thread, it will help make the forum cleaner and it will encourage discussion which may otherwise be divided over several threads. Henceforth, any repetitive threads will be closed and may eventually result in a warning.
- One-liner threads/episode discussions: Another big issue around the forum is the presence of several one-liner threads after every new episode. Stuff like "didn't such and such look great", "wasn't this scene/episode just the best", "Oh he/she/it looked so cute" or "I hated her/him and what they did here" (among other topics) can and SHOULD be moved to the Episode Discussion Thread for the week i.e. Episode Discussion Thread #4 - Dec. 26th - 2 Jan.. One-liner threads do NOT encourage any healthy discussion and only make it harder for members to find threads that may hold potential for a healthy discussion. Plus, chances are that the one-liner comment you wanted to make is also something a lot of other members want to comment on and by collecting all of our sporadic comments in a single thread, we give them a chance to be discussed together. So from now on, any one liner threads will also be closed and be asked to move to the EDT. If the behavior continues though, warnings will be issued.
- Posting pictures in threads: In the past couple of months we've noticed that a lot of new threads are being opened with just pictures being posted in them. Please remember that ANY pictures should be posted ONLY in the Picture Gallery thread i.e. Bade Acche Laggte Hai Picture Gallery[NO COMMENTS]. I understand that there may be certain pictures that we may want to talk about and such pictures can be posted in appreciation threads of the respective actors/characters to discuss them but lets refrain from posting new threads with just pictures in the first post. Any new threads with pictures in them will be closed. Another thing we should keep in mind is that whenever we find pictures/articles/posts from another website that we should ALWAYS give due credit and keep track of the copyright. Plagiarism is NOT tolerated at all. If we find any pictures or news being posted without credit to the original uploader, warning levels will be raised IMMEDIATELY! I am sure none of us would like if our efforts are being passed off as theirs by someone else so lets refrain from doing so to anyone else, even if unintentionally. Similarly, any questions or requests for help should be posted in the Help Desk thread i.e. ||:.BALH-Suggestions/Comments & Help Desk .:||
. Any new threads regarding the same will be closed.
- Multiple IDs: Please remember that making MIDs to post in the forum is NOT going to be tolerated at all! We have noticed a rise in MIDs in the forum recently and this is just to remind everyone that any MIDs found from now on will be dealt with immediately! We CAN and ALWAYS do find out about any MIDs that may be present in the forum so please refrain from the use of MIDs. Warning levels WILL be raised at any future instances of MIDs.
- Forum etiquette: And coming to the most important issue - something I feel we should ALL be clear about - forum behavior. This is a public forum which means that we have the opportunity here to interact with several different people and be exposed to all kinds of points-of-view and perspectives. There are bound to be differences in opinions and points-of-view, the forum being as big and as diverse as it is. We NEED to be more tolerant of views that may not be similar to ours. Just because we love an actor/character/show/scene DOES NOT mean that everyone else has to also! It does not mean that anyone who does NOT feel the same as we do is wrong. It just means that they are different. And different is OKAY. Different is ENCOURAGED. Because different keeps it INTERESTING! We need to be able to having discussions where we do not agree with what the other person is saying but we are able to RESPECT their right to disagree with us. And we need to be able to enjoy the difference of opinion and maybe learn from it. We need to be able to allow for different points-of-view to PROSPER in this forum. Not everyone has to love the lead in the show and just because they are not happy with the leads in the show does NOT mean that they shouldn't watch the show. I can watch something and disagree with it - and just because I disagree with it doesn't mean I should relinquish my right to watch it anymore. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again - we NEED to be more TOLERANT. I know it's hard sometimes, I know it's difficult to hear something seemingly critical about our favorite, but we need to allow freedom of speech and we need to be open to different opinions. That being said, this does NOT mean that members are welcome to bash characters/actors/story lines/members or the show. It does not mean that we can be unfairly critical of an actor's appearance or a member's admiration of a certain actor. There is FINE line between difference of opinion and bashing and that line SHOULD NOT be crossed under any circumstance. There is a proper manner in which to express your differing opinion and instigating/harsh/insulting comments is NOT it. It is NOT acceptable and it will NOT be tolerated. You are welcome to post your opinion but the MANNER in which you say what you feel has to be one that takes into consideration all the other members in the forum. You're welcome to dislike a show and an actor, but attacks on an actor's appearance/age/personal life will under no circumstance be tolerated. An actor's private life is just that - PRIVATE. And what they do or do not do off screen is NOT up for debate or discussion. You can judge them on their ACTING ability and you can judge the show for it's story, it's direction and it's plot lines. But you cannot judge an ACTOR for how they look, how old they are or what they do in their private life. And you cannot, under any circumstance, attack members for their preference towards a particular actor/show OR the fact that they do not like something/someone. I understand that this will be a work in progress and that it may take time for us to build our tolerance and that's okay. So long as we try. And that's all I ask - that we try to be more civil in how we post our opinion and now we accept those that differ from ours. Any instance of bashing will result in an immediate warning level raise. Any instigator posts will immediately be dealt with. And we ask that if members come across such posts, that they alert us to them by the use of the "Report" button. I understand that we may feel the need to deal with the issue ourselves, but by commenting on our own all we do is fuel the fire which really is counterproductive to healthy discussion. So I sincerely request that we use the "Report" button. We WILL look into it, we WILL resolve the issue - all we ask for is a little bit of help and patience from our fellow members.
I am hopeful that with this new year, we can implement these new reminders as we interact in the forum. And I am certain that with all of your help, we'll be able to make this forum even better than it is!
Please feel free to PM myself (-Fivr-) or our new CM Jyoti (jyoti06) if you have ANY questions. We're here to help you and we are always happy to hear about any criticism or concerns you may have regarding the forum.
Edited by -Fivr- - 01 January 2012 at 12:02am