Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

K.J.Yesudas-another legend par excellence (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 8

Page 1 Page 7
Page   of 8

Qwest

IF-Rockerz

Qwest

Banned for Advertising

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 12:55am | IP Logged
Yesudas' son goes to Kannada
By MIO Team
Dec 15, 2005, 06:34

Printer friendly page

KJ Yesudas is like a banyan tree. Its young ones never sink their roots under the tree's canopy because they just wouldn't survive.

KJ Yesudas is still a very popular singer in the Malayalam cine industry. That was one of the reasons why his son Vijay Yesudas was not able to establish himself in Malayalam cinema playback singing in spite of his best attempts.

He had recently made his debut in playback singing in Kannada films, with 'Nenapirali'. Ratnaja is the director of the film. Vijay Yesudas has sung this song for music director Hamsalekha.

But Vijay Yesudas sure has chosen a weird timing to make his debut in Kannada, just when the industry is giving serious thoughts about prohibiting technicians and artistes from other languages from working in their films.

We hope Vijay Yesudas gets his Kannada accent right. Critics in Malayalam weren't all that happy about his Malayalam.

Edited by Qwest - 23 April 2006 at 12:55am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "K.J.Yesudas-another legend par excellence (Page 8)" in Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Qwest

IF-Rockerz

Qwest

Banned for Advertising

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 12:59am | IP Logged

Date:11/12/2005 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/2005/12/11/stories/2005121103560300. htm
Andhra Pradesh - Guntur

Ghantasala's statue to adorn Guntur Staff Reporter
Governor to grace the occasion

K.J. Yesudas will be honoured with the Ghantasala Melody King award
  • Actor Rajendra Prasad and former governor of Rotary Club will be felicitated
    GUNTUR: Statue of well-known singer Ghantasala Venkateshwara Rao would be unveiled on the Traffic Island at Naaz Centre in Guntur by Andhra Pradesh Governor Sushil Kumar Shinde during his visit to the city on Sunday. According to programme committee chairman and Dasari Cultural Academy president Potturi Ranga Rao, the Governor will unveil the statue at 9.20 a.m. on Sunday. "This is our small gesture to a great legend," he said. Well-known singer, K.J.Yesudas, will be the chief guest at the function, which would be presided over by District Collector G. Jayalakshmi. Music festival In the evening, music lovers can look forward for Ghantasala Music Festival, which will be conducted at Venkateshwara Vignana Mandiram from 6 p.m. onwards. "Singer K.J. Yesudas will be honoured with the Ghantasala Melody King award," Mr. Ranga Rao said. Nandi Award winning Best Actor, Rajendra Prasad and former governor of Rotary Club, Vadlamani Ravi will be felicitated. An orchestra would play super-hit songs of Ghantasala and K.J. Yesudas. Andhra Pradesh High Court Judge M. Venkateshwara Reddy, Transport Minister Kanna Lakshminarayana, Guntur MP Rayapati Srinivas, District Collector G. Jayalakshmi and other officials would participate, he added.

Copyright 2000 - 2006 The Hindu

• Edited by Qwest - 23 April 2006 at 1:00am

daphli

Groupbie

daphli

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 3:29am | IP Logged

Originally posted by jayc1234

Ni sa ga ma pa ni - is my of my bigtime favorites as well... I think Yasudas was one of the greatest singers of his time.. but because of his unsual voice, did not do much of playback for the leading men and had to content with actors like Amol Palekar (who was again a very fine actor)... But most of Yasudas songs are gems.. My favorites....

Ni sa ga ma pa ni
    Kaa karu sajani
    Sunaina Sunaina
    Aapki madbhari aankhon ko kawal kehte hai
    jab deep jale aana
    janeman janeman tere do nayan
    kahaan se aaye badra
    surmayi ankhiyon me
    mana ho tum behad haseen

Clapabsolutely wonderful seletion of favourites....now the my fond memories are rekindled, any one can guide me on availability of mp3 songs in the net?

really appreciate help....

trishancku

Goldie

trishancku

Posted: 13 November 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged

Singers are not bothered about quality any more: Yesudas

Mrudu Naik
     Monday, November 12, 2007 1:06:18 AM Oman Time

MUSCAT

The magical charm of his golden voice has kept his fans spellbound for decades now. Playback singer and Carnatic vocalist Dr K. J. Yesudas' success in the world of music is truly exceptional and unparalleled. In an exclusive interview, he opens out on a wide range of topics.

Excerpts:

Why are we getting to hear less of your songs in movies these days?

I do sing now but I have become very selective. I sing only if the song suits my taste. But I have no regrets as during my hay days, I have sung a range of songs and have fulfilled my yearnings as a singer. Right now I am choosy. There are so many youngsters now so it is better to take a backseat. My son is singing too.

What are you doing these days?

I am 67 years now, yet I am busy. I am now concentrating on Carnatic music and trying to achieve something in this field. It is a subject close to my heart.

Would you say you are not singing because composers are not churning out melodies as they used to?

You can't blame anybody. It has got to do with time. Olden days our grandmothers and aunties used to make a lot of fresh food. This is the era of fast food. Now you even get instant idlis and dosas. Naturally home-cooked food was tastier. But now who has the time to cook or even to eat. But I must say the quality of the food is going down and it has even started attacking people's health. The same theory holds true for the music world too. What is being churned out is for the fast-paced world.

When you interact with young singers, what do they tell you?

Yes, I must say a lot of them come up to me and say, "Sir, we never get to sing the kind of songs you got to sing." Yes, that way our generation of singers have been extremely lucky. Whether it was Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar, Mukesh, Manna Dey, Balasubramaniam, that era of singers got to sing songs that are evergreen even today.

But what has gone wrong with today's music?

These days there is a lot of emphasis on entertainment and glamour. A song becomes a song when there is dance, glamour and a lot of jumping around. Now they are not bothered about melody. Even in films people today no longer accept a hero singing all by himself. Now they want 50 dancers to dance along with him.

What are your comments on technology playing a major role in music?

Too much of it is not good. We try to overcome our deficiencies with the help of machines. What is lost is the spirit of human endeavour. With technology you can play a Beethoven's composition with just one finger on your keyboard. It is not an artiste's effort. To get the pitch right we used to practise for hours. Even today, I do that. Nowadays they can correct the pitch with the help of technology. Even if a singer goes flat or high they can correct it. I frankly think a singer's talent and effort have only a small role to play. All credits should go to the guys who created the technology. If earlier days artistes got awards, then they deserved it. Now the award should go to technology and not the artistes.

Will we ever have the evergreen era of music back?

I don't think so. I think it is gone. Couple of years ago, I used to argue with my seniors that it would be back. Now I am sure it will not be back. The main reason is anybody can become a singer today. Earlier artistes maintained a particular standard. Today artistes are not bothered about the quality of songs they sing. I am not saying it is bad, but I am saying nobody is able to make an impact. Artistes are coming and going. Nobody is staying long enough to make an impact.

Have you recently sung something that you liked?

Yes, I sang for Dakshinamurthy recently. He is over 90 and recently composed music for a film. That was fulfilling. My father, my son and I have sung for this Malayalam music composer.

What do you tell your students?

I always tell them to practise and practise. I ask them to satisfy themselves first and then aim for fame. But I think there is not enough commitment in the youngsters today. They want fame at the snap of their fingers, and why not? They are offered lump sum money. Those days we sang the best of songs but hardly got any remuneration. Nowadays it is unbelievable. Of course, I am happy for them. But I feel the joy of music is lost somewhere.

http://timesofoman.com/inner_cat.asp?cat=1&detail=11939& amp;rand=0QfjweFv5sTKvjUne56pnx0u9i

Post Reply New Post

Go to top