~~**RONIT'S X-CLUSIV HUB~~**updated! - Page 34

Posted: 17 years ago

Who earns the most on TV?

TV actors may faint on the sets, but their fat pay packets make it all seem worth it!

Tellyland has big money. And if the pay packets are anything to go by, then the top TV actors will soon be competing with the Bollywood stars. But unlike Bollywood, the system here is not simple.

While some actors are bound by exclusive contracts to work for a particular production house, others are paid for the number of days that they work for.

Among the men, it's Ronit Roy who is apparently the highest paid, followed by Anuj Saxena and Rohit Roy.

According to sources, Ronit is paid a whopping Rs 15 lakh a month. And among the female actors, it's Smriti Iraani who takes home around Rs 40-50,000 every day. The others to follow her are Saakshi Tanwar, Urvashi Dholakia and Sangeeta Ghosh.

"These actors ask for anything between Rs 30 to 40,000 per day. And whether they get the amount they quote, also depends on the popularity of the character they play. For example Urvashi is being paid around Rs 30 to 35,000 per day for playing Komolika in Kasautii Zindagii Kay," says a source.

TV actors are said to have a shorter shelf-life, so is it because of this that there's a drive to make more money which even means working round the clock?

Actor Smriti Iraani says, "That's something that one has to decide. Whether one wants to be an actor or a star. The pay cheques are definitely better than what they used to be."

Says producer Shristi Arya, "The money I paid Nigaar Z Khan when I launched her in my serial Lipstick about three years back and the amount I paid Priya Wal for Remix now are very different."

Pulkit waves his magic wand!

The actor has even made a name for himself on the sets of €˜Kyunki...€™ by showing his skill. The list of the spectators includes actors Ronit Roy, Sandeep Baswana, Sumeet Sachdev, Mouni Roy, Reshmi Ghosh, Reva Bubbar to name a few. As the actor recalls, "One day, Sandeep Baswana (Saahil), Ronit Roy, Sumeet Sachdeva and I were relaxing after the shoot. I asked Sandeep to pick up a card from the pack I had. He chose a card. Then I told him to memorise the number on the card and concentrate. Ronit was smoking and there was an ashtray beside him. I picked up a little ash and asked Sandeep to continue his focussing on the card. I gave him the ashes and told him to rub it on his arm. The ashes formed eight (8) on his arm. I did not even touch him in the process," the actor says. What was Sandeep's reaction to the incident? "Sandeep, like the others present was taken aback," says Pulkit. When contacted Sandeep says, "I am a proud father (laughs). I was awestruck; he's knows magic, just like any professional!" Sumeet Sachdev, who was also present on the sets, says, "It awesome. The 'ash magic' on Sandeep left me stunned and I continued to think about it for a long time."

Ronit Roy Rocks!

I am an actor and I'll go wherever I get good work, Ronit Roy tells Roshni Olivera

From a not so successful film career, to bagging the best actor's award on television... it has been an interesting journey. I did not have a good innings in films. My getting into television was not a major career decision, either.

But, it has worked well for me. I have always maintained that I am an actor and I'll go wherever I get good work. Whether it's a film camera or a TV camera that does not affect my work. I have no such complexes that the TV medium is smaller than the film medium because I really don't think it's any less than cinema. It is as big today if not bigger.

What about the period before television happened to you?
That was a phase where I had no work, no job and was living in a rented house. I had bills to pay and there was no money. Luckily, my family was with me and there are a few others who've stood by me through thick and thin. It was difficult. But somehow, things just moved. I am a lucky guy. My lifestyle didn't change even then. God's been very kind to me.

Are you choosy about your roles now?
I can't describe the response I have received from people. I never thought I would see this kind of fame in my career. Right from little kids who love me and call me Mihir uncle to 60 year-old women who appreciate my work. It's overwhelming for an actor to have that range of an audience. I'm not really choosy, but I am careful about the kind of roles I take up. I don't want to disappoint my audience. I believe it is very difficult to get an audience for an actor and once they come to expect something of you, you should not let them down.

How do you view the saas-bahu trend and the general tendency for serials to keep dragging on?
I don't see why a serial should stop when it has a huge audience. There may be complaints at times that they drag a bit, but nobody is perfect. A little bit of slowdown is fine. Infact, it's good because it is soon followed by interesting twists and turns. A soap is a slice of life on television. About the saas-bahu trend, that has worked. I'm not an expert on the subject. But as long as it's working, it's fine.

Tell us something about your impending marriage with girlfriend Neelam Singh.
Yes, we are getting married on December 25. We met four years ago and hit it off well. My first marriage was annulled about 11 years ago and I have a lovely daughter in the US who's in touch with me.
This is a very old article as he hasnt married Neelam.
Edited by iluvronit - 17 years ago
Femina Miss India-Universe 1999 Gul Panag and Ronit Roy, better known as 'Rishabh Bajaj' to couch potatoes, were at the helm of affairs for the evening, entertaining the packed-to-capacity grounds of 5000 people with their one-liners. At one point Roy mentioned that ''many film careers will be born today''.

The most beautiful surprise of the evening came with Plain Jane Jassi, the current television heart-throb, who walked in, braces, glasses and all, and stole much of the thunder of the show. Ronit Roy egged her on to do a reverse swing on the judges, and she responded by asking them a few questions. She walked up to Munna Bhai Sanjay Dutt and asked him, given a choice, which of the contestants would he give a 'pyar ki jhappi' to, he answered, in true Dutt-style, ''All of them.''

Kahani naye ghar ki

Ronit Roy and wife Neelam too shifted into their Versova house a few months ago, but as Ronit says, "It's an interim dream house. The real dream house is yet to happen perhaps someday."

Small screen's big man!

Indian television industry's blue-eyed 'man', Ronit Roy in an interview with us speaks about his acting skills and growing up years in Ahmedabad.

Many may not be aware, but actor Ronit Roy spent his growing years in Ahmedabad. And he has fond memories of the city. "My growing years there were incredible.

I think Ahmedabad is a great city and a very resilient one, for despite all the knocks it gets, it manages to survive and emerge from them - even tougher than before. In that sense, it is a lot like Mumbai."

Roy who moved base to Mumbai to act in Hindi films failed to make a mark though he made a successful debut.
"That's the reason I got into acting on television, as I was out of work. So when I received a call to act in tele serials, I immediately took up the offer," he candidly admits.

And though he has become a household name now thanks to his roles on the small screen, Roy has no qualms about admitting his seniority in terms of his age.

"It is easier for me to play older roles since most actors in the TV industry are in their twenties while I am forty. Also I am a real life father, so playing a dad or granddad on screen, comes naturally to me," he says with a smile.

Ask him about working under a creative female head and he shrugs, "I don't really differentiate professional interactions in terms of gender."
Ask him about a stagnant Indian television industry, and Roy begs to differ. "I think Indian television is on an all time high. In fact, it is going to grow into a much bigger industry soon," he says.

But does television offer him a scope to explore his acting potential to the fullest? "Though I haven't really explored genres like comedy to the fullest, acting in soaps gives me a wide range of possibilities" he says.

And the cynic in him is quick to add, "There is nothing like a dream role. You have to manage to turn a role around into a dream role. And anyway I don't dream of roles, for I live in reality."