Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

samie

IF-Veteran Member

samie

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged

Hey Debaters we r baq wid another quote 4 u guys 2 figure out n the best meanin will get a sigSmile

This weeks quote:

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it." - Joseph Joubert

Good luck

Regards Debate Mansion Dev Team - Meghavi, Sam, Aparna & Sowmyaa

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Debating Quote of the week" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

IF-Sizzlerz

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged
hmmm....good 1...will be back soon..just wanted to reserve the 1st comment Wink

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged
Very interesting quote.

in my opinion, challenges make our life interesting. if everything was cut-and-dried or simple to understand, it would be very boring. also, everything in life is not black and white; there are many grey areas which are open to different interpretations.

similarly, its better to engage in discussion and argue through a topic rather than to have a straightforward answer. the variety of opinions offered add richness to this journey of discovering the truth. it is always better to have a question unanswered even through debate rather than find its solution, because if we find a solution to it, then the journey ends; learning ends.

there is no end to perfection and there is no end to learning. it adds colour and spice to life. in fact, it IS life - a drop of consciousness in an otherwise mundane existence.   

Groovychick

IF-Rockerz

Groovychick

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged

Originally posted by T.

Very interesting quote.

in my opinion, challenges make our life interesting. if everything was cut-and-dried or simple to understand, it would be very boring. also, everything in life is not black and white; there are many grey areas which are open to different interpretations.

similarly, its better to engage in discussion and argue through a topic rather than to have a straightforward answer. the variety of opinions offered add richness to this journey of discovering the truth. it is always better to have a question unanswered even through debate rather than find its solution, because if we find a solution to it, then the journey ends; learning ends.

there is no end to perfection and there is no end to learning. it adds colour and spice to life. in fact, it IS life - a drop of consciousness in an otherwise mundane existence.   

very well said TanazSmileClapClap

hmm..now lemme think and answerErmm

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged
I disagree T. sometime to achieve small goals and have pleasure we forget the "main" "big" goal. I think the main goal here is to "settle" however be it. I think if argued and then coming to conclusion its good. However sometime no argument and you come to a settlement I think better. We should not be deviated from our goal. I don't think that one should always learn things hard way. The mentality about learning hard way is better experience is not true. You can learn from "others" hard experience too. We humans, just to add richness in our journey to discover truth try to make it more complicated, which is not needed. Making it simple does not make it boring and dry. It gives us opportunity to invest that time exploring other things. Journey does not end when we come to solution, it begins once we find the solution so now we can move to next step. Faster we come to solution closer we get to our goal.

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 11:43am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sowmyaa

I disagree T. sometime to achieve small goals and have pleasure we forget the "main" "big" goal. I think the main goal here is to "settle" however be it.

The key word you used here is to "settle". Settlements do not necessarily answer life's questions, but they bring about a closure to discussion for the time being. There are many questions which do not have a simple answer. For instance: "Why are we born?" or "Who/What is God?"

There are many answers to this, but no true consensus. Hence, even today, these questions remain unanswered.

Had we always accepted the "simple" answers for everything, we might be still going by the dictum that the earth is the centre of the universe and scientists like Galileo were spawns of the Devil.

Originally posted by

I don't think that one should always learn things hard way. The mentality about learning hard way is better experience is not true. You can learn from "others" hard experience too.

I submit that hard experiences are not always needed to learn something. However, there is a learning process involved in anything and that never stops. We can learn from someone else, but we can also make improvements to what they learnt. Sometimes we find out that they were not quite perfect and we add more to it, to create perfection.

There is no straight-forward answer to most questions. The last "best" answer has been replaced countless times by "better" answers.

Originally posted by

We humans, just to add richness in our journey to discover truth try to make it more complicated, which is not needed.

But, without that aspect, places like Debate Mansion would not exist and I would have not met all of you lovely people. Wink

Originally posted by

Making it simple does not make it boring and dry. It gives us opportunity to invest that time exploring other things. Journey does not end when we come to solution, it begins once we find the solution so now we can move to next step. Faster we come to solution closer we get to our goal.

Not everything that is simple is boring or dry. But, most things are not very simple. Even if we take the easy route and free-ride off "others'" experiences, the fact is that we are still finding out new things.

E.g. Humans had initially accepted that the world was flat and that they would fall off its edge and went about learning other things. But, scientists and explorers did not and rightly so - they proved that it was a sphere! What was a "solution" to the problem was replaced by another solution.

Was the new solution accepted easily? The answer is no. It challenged convention and religion after all. It was only after learning from others that we came to this new accepted "settlement". Is it final though? We dont know. New technology may prove us wrong.

But, being open to the idea that there isn't a right answer for everything makes life more interesting. Because you never can expect what will come out next.

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

Originally posted by sowmyaa

I disagree T. sometime to achieve small goals and have pleasure we forget the "main" "big" goal. I think the main goal here is to "settle" however be it.

The key word you used here is to "settle". Settlements do not necessarily answer life's questions, but they bring about a closure to discussion for the time being. There are many questions which do not have a simple answer. For instance: "Why are we born?" or "Who/What is God?"

Yes, I agree some questions does not even have a settlement..at any time. Like questions above.."who/What is God?" this question will never ever reach a settlement in human's future. But day to day questions like eg. let's say India/Pakistan issue. Don't you think it is very important for this question to come to a settlement rather than never ending discussion? Sometime we forget that main goal here should be "peace" and not discussion. No one is going to take that piece of land after their death than why fight for that land? this is general example, sometimes in daily life with parents, children, spouse we have different kind of arguments, don't you think rather than arguing and discussion, sometimes it is important to settle down on one common ground? People use terms as letgo, adjustments, etc. to come to settlement, but does it make you any less human if you "adjust" what is big deal if you come to a conclusion after adjustments!

There are many answers to this, but no true consensus. Hence, even today, these questions remain unanswered.

Had we always accepted the "simple" answers for everything, we might be still going by the dictum that the earth is the centre of the universe and scientists like Galileo were spawns of the Devil.

Yes, I agree. Some answers need brainstorming. so it does depend upon question.

Originally posted by

I don't think that one should always learn things hard way. The mentality about learning hard way is better experience is not true. You can learn from "others" hard experience too.

I submit that hard experiences are not always needed to learn something. However, there is a learning process involved in anything and that never stops. We can learn from someone else, but we can also make improvements to what they learnt.Yes, we dont have to go through same thing only by personal lerning, we can definetly observe and make improvments to what they learnt. Sometimes we find out that they were not quite perfect and we add more to it, to create perfection.

There is no straight-forward answer to most questions. The last "best" answer has been replaced countless times by "better" answers.

No straight-forward answer to "most" question. that's not true. There are some question which does not have straight answers, but then there are some questions which could be made simple if try. Last word is mine, ego, inflexibility, not willing to accept truth those things some time do become hurdle to make easy questions most complicated ones.

Originally posted by

We humans, just to add richness in our journey to discover truth try to make it more complicated, which is not needed.

But, without that aspect, places like Debate Mansion would not exist and I would have not met all of you lovely people. Wink

Yes, discussion is always healthy, it does broaden our horizen and mold our thinking, like I did realize some good points about just discussion without settlement by your statements today. really! but when you have to put it practicle in your life, to make your life easy you kind of have to find road that makes it simple and brings some end to your questions.You can't just keep on discussing forever about some of your problems in real life...you have to find solution and sooner the better.

Originally posted by

Making it simple does not make it boring and dry. It gives us opportunity to invest that time exploring other things. Journey does not end when we come to solution, it begins once we find the solution so now we can move to next step. Faster we come to solution closer we get to our goal.

Not everything that is simple is boring or dry. But, most things are not very simple. Even if we take the easy route and free-ride off "others'" experiences, those free-ride of i would call them bonus earned in my life.the fact is that we are still finding out new things.

E.g. Humans had initially accepted that the world was flat and that they would fall off its edge and went about learning other things. But, scientists and explorers did not and rightly so - they proved that it was a sphere! What was a "solution" to the problem was replaced by another solution.

Curiosity is always good which leads to invention and discoveries and that's how we lead to our "main goal" "settlement" so it is positive definetly.

Was the new solution accepted easily? The answer is no. It challenged convention and religion after all. It was only after learning from others that we came to this new accepted "settlement". Is it final though? We dont know. New technology may prove us wrong.

yes, but for now we have reached a settlement. chapter may be opened again and same things go again, however, there should be settlement rather than ongoing controversy/discussion without coming to a conclusion. Living life just wondering around trying to find unanswered answers is not easy to live for a layman. To live regular, sansarik life it is important to come to settlement sometime with or without argument, just to make life simpler.

But, being open to the idea that there isn't a right answer for everything makes life more interesting. Because you never can expect what will come out next.

So i agree with lot of your statemnets here and it did open my mind about discussions without settlement. we have lots of debates here on DM most of them does not come to settlement, 'coz we all are different, but when we start living with these people and we have different openion its better sometime to just get into settlement without discussion jsut to avoid daily day to day truma. Now here I am not talking about big topic but petty small things. So guess it really depends upon qeustions huh!!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
btw, Sam, nice and interesting quote!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top