Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swar_Raj thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

Friends, I am inspired by T.'s topic about Gandhiji and his ahinsa post. We all know that Bhagat Singh and Gandhiji's methods contrasted in getting Indian Independence.

1.Do you think India's independence was ultimately the result of Bhagat Singh's methods or Gandhiji's methods or a combination?

It for sure is a combination

2. Do you think independence could have come faster if Indian National Congress had adopted Bhagat Singh's methods in addition to Gandhiji's?

Yes, with Bhagat singh and Neta ji..we could have  brought those britishers to their senses.   
3. Many of Bhagat Singh's supporters also accuse Gandhiji of being responsible for Bhagat Singh's death. Some of them believe that Gandhiji could have stopped Bhagat Singh's execution if he desired.

It is mixed. Gandhi ji was not a good negotiater. What was the point of partial freedom, why not sampoorna swaraj?? which they ultimately demended. It seeme as if Gandhiji wanted to get what he  could get. WHere as Bhagat singh and  closed all doors of talks by asking sampoorna swarj and no sorry to Britishers. They hanged all three a day before too.

If Gandhiji really had worked towards it, there is a possibility that their hanging might have not happened, atleast not so soon.

I would like to know debaters point of view over this chapter in Indian history.

Who ever it was, it was the great sacrifice of these freedom fighter, specially the ones who lost their lives fo r  us. Now instead of questioning our freedon fighters, we should just work making our country the best as they had a dream about it before independence.

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Friends, I am inspired by T.'s topic about Gandhiji and his ahinsa post. We all know that Bhagat Singh and Gandhiji's methods contrasted in getting Indian Independence.

1.Do you think India's independence was ultimately the result of Bhagat Singh's methods or Gandhiji's methods or a combination?

Its sad that Gandhi and Bhagat Singh as well have to be a subject of such humiliating opinion charade....🤢

2. Do you think independence could have come faster if Indian National Congress had adopted Bhagat Singh's methods in addition to Gandhiji's?

I think without Gandhi we wouldnt have won freedom.. After bhagat singh somebody would have shot somebody and going on and on till we come to the year 2000 and all these violent guys would have been classified as terrorists and US would support UK to bomb India......😊

3. Many of Bhagat Singh's supporters also accuse Gandhiji of being responsible for Bhagat Singh's death. Some of them believe that Gandhiji could have stopped Bhagat Singh's execution if he desired.

There are people who really believe in correctness of Godse and Idi Amin as well...😊

I would like to know debaters point of view over this chapter in Indian history.

Questioning/debating somebody's contribution (be it Gandhi or bhagat singh) is literally insulting them. So I think this is a dark thread in the world of IF......🤢

Theres no comparison... Gandhi towers over all others... not for what he did but for the way he thought... Bhagat singh is one of the others who sacrificed their lives...

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
[quote=qwertyesque]Questioning/debating somebody's contribution (be it Gandhi or bhagat singh) is literally insulting them. So I think this is a dark thread in the world of IF. 🤢

Theres no comparison... Gandhi towers over all others... not for what he did but for the way he thought... Bhagat singh is one of the others who sacrificed their lives...
[/quote]

History is all about what we read on papers. There are lot of pages in books of history that are contradictory and that many have different opinion about. I personally don't think that there is anything wrong in discussing and knowing views of other members about this chapter of history. If you don't like to discuss this darkest thread in the world of IF, you may certainly not add your comment to it. We all dislike lot of topics, inputs, comments by many members here, but that does not give right to anyone to degrade others input.

Also, the bold part you said, contradict with the unbold part of yours 😊
qwertyesque thumbnail

[quote=qwertyesque]Questioning/debating somebody's contribution (be it Gandhi or bhagat singh) is literally insulting them. So I think this is a dark thread in the world of IF. 🤢

[/quote]

History is all about what we read on papers and more importantly facts not ideas. There are lot of pages in books of history that are contradictory, which History book are you referring.. I dont think any history book paints Gandhi the way this thread is trying to do... and that many have different opinion about. I personally don't think that there is anything wrong in discussing and knowing views of other members about this chapter of history without resorting to facts!! and merely possibly goolgling around?. If you don't like to discuss this darkest thread in the world of IF, you may certainly not add your comment to it. So can I start a thread on "short comings of a religion"? which definitely have more opinions and no facts associated..The propriety of a thread shouldnt be solely the willingness to debate or question.. .😆We all dislike lot of topics, inputs, comments by many members here, but that does not give right to anyone to degrade others input.

Also, the bold part you said, contradict with the unbold part of yours 😊

U depressed me. Now I know I am nothing but a bunch of contradictions!!!!!but i never questioned their contribution which the bold part says....as a person, as a thinker, the world admires Gandhi... 😊, and if this fact is so well-known why isnt that creating smudge on his image world over????

In this instead of getting what you want you are going to get mud-slinging since you cant show one as good without showing the other terribly bad.. and I dont know why thats so...😆

I wont post but read it to see how dark does it get....🤢

😆

sowmyaa thumbnail
Qwertysque-

It is not necessary that all that is written in history is accurate and true. We read what is shown to us, I also don't agree that contradictions without any fact and proof should be believed. But I do like to know what others think about it based on their facts, and yes ideas as well. That was the reason I started this topic. The topic is just not based on google. There have also been film based on this controversy.

About thread on "short comings of a religion" we have rule on DM that if you want to start any religious topic you have to get permission of DM DEV Team. We have had attacking posts before at DM based on religion so we don't encourage religious post. You can refer to Abhijit's thread called "all new members, please read" thread you will find it .

About your bold part, you said you never questioned their contribution. I am sorry but when you said "Gandhi towers over all others... not for what he did but for the way he thought... Bhagat singh is one of the others who sacrificed their lives..." I think you already questioned the contribution right there.

All I want to inform you that I do respect Gandhiji and I also have same respect for Bhagat singh. I can never ever be close to either one, so there is no question of me not respecting them. They have done lot for our nation and for us and these two are legends and I think they are worth comparing.

However, I did not like you attacking me for creating this post. That was not needed. You have different views and I have different, symbols like 🤢 were not need to degrade my question in the post. Be it other member or me that was not needed from your part.

Also, I am not sure who "provoked" you, ...may be it was debate "topic" in which case you could have ignored it.
qwertyesque thumbnail

Qwertysque-

It is not necessary that all that is written in history is accurate and true. We read what is shown to us, I also don't agree that contradictions without any fact and proof should be believed. But I do like to know what others think about it based on their facts, and yes ideas as well. That was the reason I started this topic. The topic is just not based on google. There have also been film based on this controversy.

About thread on "short comings of a religion" we have rule on DM that if you want to start any religious topic you have to get permission of DM DEV Team. We have had attacking posts before at DM based on religion so we don't encourage religious post. You can refer to Abhijit's thread called "all new members, please read" thread you will find it .

About your bold part, you said you never questioned their contribution. I am sorry but when you said "Gandhi towers over all others... not for what he did but for the way he thought... Bhagat singh is one of the others who sacrificed their lives..." I think you already questioned the contribution right there. Now is that a opinion or a fact..? Gandhi is known world over Bhagat singh isnt outside india so does it have to be more than that??? Tomorrow you can make compare him with Godse, then i dont know who else....For me Einstein holding him in admiration  and his book "My experiment with truth" is enough to respect him for what he was...😊

All I want to inform you that I do respect Gandhiji and I also have same respect for Bhagat singh. I can never ever be close to either one u mean u arent an indian???? I am sorry then.. for having criticised your starting of the post, so there is no question of me not respecting them. They have done lot for our nation and for us and these two are legends and I think they are worth comparing. What u mean by comparing. why dont you start with your opinion...😊

However, I did not like you attacking me for creating this post. That was not needed. You have different views and I have different, symbols like 🤢 were not need to degrade my question in the post. Be it other member or me that was not needed from your part.

Also, I am not sure who "provoked" you, ...may be it was debate "topic" in which case you could have ignored it. True indians at heart cant ignore that topic, for the same reason the pole dance had severe criticism...you as an indian cant ignore when somebody compares or question people who died upholding indian values...😊

Ok I know this is democracy.. so let the debate continue.. i wont interrupt no more...😊

sareg thumbnail

Both,but more due to Gandhiji's method, if you look at the economics of the time you understand, Britain was on its knees in financial terms(before they went into WWII Britain was richy rich, when they came out of the war it was poor), Its biggest earner going into a non-earning(non-cooperation) mode was killing it. More and more I read about British Economics during and after WW-II, I feel Gandhiji's non-cooperation was the telling blow.

For the methods Netaji and Bhagatsinghji advocated, it would have been just another rebellion that needed to be quashed by brute force. I feel Gandhiji understood the situation well and more than others

But make no mistake Gandhiji, Netaji, BhagatSinghji were all the same, Great Freedom fighters, without them we would not have been here discussing freedom

No it would have taken much much longer, if Bhagat Singhji's methodologies would have been implemented, but also needs to be considered it was a huge risk bringing such a huge regime down by non-voilence was unthinkable and only someone like Gandhiji could come up with that, but at the end it was either his way or Bhagat Singhji's way, and since Gandhiji was more influential his way won

Could have, would have, should have,

Yes, If Gandhiji would have asked the execution of Bhagat Singhji would have stopped, but that would have been the biggest insult Gandhiji or anyone else would have made of Bhagat Singhji

Bhagat Singh explicitly wanted to be hanged, he wanted to be a martyr, he wanted his martyrdom to further the cause. No matter what Gandhiji did, Bhagat Singh would have created more troubles for the Raj and in the end getting his goal of martyrdom

This doubting is being done by people who sit on the fence and question on or the other, Both of them were right, no slight to either of them

sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Ok I know this is democracy.. so let the debate continue.. i wont interruptno more...😊

Thank you! 😊

Hope you are feeling better now that you have used your privilege to democracy!
bhilwara thumbnail
I wanna throw my hat into this "dark thread in the world of IF" just to say I was right here when it all started and to make my mark in IF history! Now carry on, all. 😛
(Personally I'm against any ban to discuss/debate any topics!)
sareg thumbnail
😆 😆 😆
Why is it important that Bhagat Singh be known outside of India to be considered a Freedom Fighter

Is Gandhiji great b'cos his philosphy is held in regard by "foreigners"
😆 😆 😆

Gandhiji for me is great b'cos he used a novel method to acheive freedom for India without the risk of sacrificing human life, What people other than Indians(and I should included Pakistanis and Bangladeshis too, they are our brethren too)I would care less 😆 😆 😆