Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

moloysify

moloysify

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 4:34am | IP Logged

For the last two months I am living in Chennai and as usual I am having lot of problems with the language as people here don't understand hindi and the english they use is not really english rather yenglisha.

Anyway , today I just heard from some my collegues that The CM of Tamil Nadu has declared that TAMIL is the oldest language in India. Actually I dont know much of the history of languages in India but so far my understanding was Sanskrit is the oldest among all  . Even if you consider only the major languages , then Hindi should come next because Hindi and Sanskrit script are almost same . But how come tamil??

Please enlightem me on this topic and forgive my ingorence if I've said something seriously wrong.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "TAMIL .. The oldest language???" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 6:44am | IP Logged
You will find this topic very interesting as its similar to the topic you have posted. "Hindi in South India"
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=169295&K W=hi ndi

As for Tamil being the oldest language i think is true because i recall reading that the oldest civilisation "Harrapan Civilisation" and the Indus Valley civilisation used to have many similarities in the dravidian race and the Tamil culture. My History is a bit rusty so hopefully some one else could confirm this.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 April 2006 at 6:48am

tanushree

tanushree

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 1:33am | IP Logged
Thats right Aparna!

wildblossom

IF-Rockerz

wildblossom

IF-Crazy Creatives

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged
actually that is not true! the oldest languages are considered to the indo-european languages- which are latin, greek, and SANSKRIT! they say their is a mother tongue that these three derived from but it is unknown. that makes SANSKRIT the oldest. the other languages were born from it.
As for the Aryan invasion- thats up to you to believe or not. it was a history made by the british to divide the north and south and several people have written articles on it being a false account of indian history. i dont believe it happened either- if india was invaded by white colored and blue-eyed people- where are they know? why is there no record of such an invasion in indian history. it only appeared after the british came. if you dont agree- check out some articles on it. its easily proven false by historians.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by wildblossom

As for the Aryan invasion- thats up to you to believe or not. it was a history made by the british to divide the north and south and several people have written articles on it being a false account of indian history. i dont believe it happened either- if india was invaded by white colored and blue-eyed people- where are they know? why is there no record of such an invasion in indian history. it only appeared after the british came. if you dont agree- check out some articles on it. its easily proven false by historians.

Then how is it that the people living in the north are far fairer than the people living in the South generaly??? Why are the Punjabis and the Kashmiris and the pahadis (people living in the mountains) far lighter in skin complexion and they easily blend with the Eurpoean race??

Lets Comapre the Mexicans and the Spanish people and the Latinos , why do we Indians from the Northern part of India blend with these races while the people from the South do not?

wildblossom

IF-Rockerz

wildblossom

IF-Crazy Creatives

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
that is the same thing as africans in africa. why are they darker? why are northern people whiter? its all climate. the indians in the north live in a less harsher climate so they are lighter. and north india's climate is similar to that of mexico's and latin america- that is why we match them in coloring. the southern indians live in a similar climate as africa and thus resemble them in color sometimes. if you would like i can give you a link for an article that disproves the aryan invasion. i will have to search for it has i dont have it with me at the moment.

lashy

IF-Stunnerz

lashy

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
oh wowwowwwwwwww wildblossom... do i know you???

i cannot comment on exactly which language came to being at which age. definitely hindi is NOT the oldest. Sanskrit is the oldest.. tamil, kannada are all of the older languages. Hindi came after tamil/kannada. languages like telugu are even newer.

anyway, i was delighted to see someone express the same views as i have on the aryan invasion aryan-dravidian theory and the colour of races.. [im sure i sound excited enough]

climate climate climate + genes influences colour (melanin content)
south India doesn't have winter cept for a few hill stations and that too pales in comparison to Northern winters. Even in the south the Brahmins and the merchant classes are fairer simply because their jobs did not involve menial field work or constant work in the sun (hemamalini/sridevi/trisha are all south Indians)

Everyone in Africa isnt dark.. Egyptians are fairer.. latin americans are brown toned. Look at the africans who moved to US over the past 200 years. Their lineages have started looking brown instead of the black tone that tribes in Africa still possess.

wildblossom

IF-Rockerz

wildblossom

IF-Crazy Creatives

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 4:49pm | IP Logged
yay!!!!!! i am so exicited to hear your opinion to lashforever!!!!!!!!!!! i have barely met anyone else who has said the same thing- lots of people do, but i just dont personally know them!
i guess part of the reason is because i live in the u.s. and i dont interact much with the indian communities where i have lived. and americans dont take much interest in indian history. plus, i am only in high school. its refreshing to have someone support you! i would love to talk to you more! arent you the mod for jjkn forum? Big smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top