spike thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Hey guys,

A few hours back there was a topic called 'jassi the man' which mystica closed to prevent arguments, possibly. Thanks Mysti.

I agree that we shouldn't be making fun of people's looks and if anyone found any of my comments offensive I am extremely sorry and I apologise.

But I also have a few things to say. Throughout my time in IF I have seen lots of posts where characters have been given names which I really think did need some degree of attention when they were written.

According to Deli, by chance if Mona Singh came here, how would she feel..... Well, with all the 'Purab uncle' and 'grandad' names going around, if Samir Soni ever came to this site, what would he feel? And mind you these names have gone around far more than jassi's or armaan's.

Purab has been called 'uncle' and 'grandad' because of the fact that he looks old in the show and in reality 'is and looks' 36 years old. So his "gift from God" has been critisized. Why didn't any mod raise an eye-brow then? It was taken lightly or too unimportant to comment on perhaps, by both the mods and the purab supporters. (Thank God for that, or else there wud have been a big row over it)

When the topic 'jassi the man' was started, ppl were critisizing the way jessica looked. Okay, jessica is played by mona singh. But didn't a few ppl also say that jassi looked better with her hair tied and salwar kameez? So it wasn't like she was being butchered completely for her makeover.

Even Armaan was either praised or critisized for his looks, wasn't he? Although the better part of his controversy favored his looks.

I agree that an actor's looks are God's contribution to making that person. But just like not every actor fits a particular role, not every actor looks good in every shot of a show. I'm sure a lot of you will agree that every actor in JJKN didn't look good in all their parts.

Now a few people feel jessica doesn't look that good as jessica. That includes me too. If you can praise someone's sharp features and looks, which actually form a part, but never the whole of an actor, why can't you critisize someone's looks?? After all, praising and critisizing are all discussions, be it looks or acting ability.

Maybe that topic wasn't really an intelligent discussion. But in my opinion, an actor isn't just acting ability or looks and moves. S/he has to fit an entire package tailored to the requirement of the show. And it's not neccessary that the actor playing the role has completely fit that package.

I am not replying back to deli or anyone for any matter. I respect her comments.  Nor am I trying get an argument started. I felt that this issue needed to be pointed out to everyone. And anyone who wishes to start a row over this, please don't do it here.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pj04 thumbnail

well spike....you do have a point .however looks are a very sensitive issue specially in a show like jjkn(where we have two camps and people fanatically rooting for thier idols). also it is said beauty lies in the eyes of beholder. hence what is beautiful or constitutes good looks mean different things to different people. i personally do not find armaan very attractive or jessica a knock out, or even mallika exceptional but that is my opinion. on the other hand i think aryan and raj and purab look great but again it is my personal opinion.it is a very subjective thing.

on a different note we tend to find everything wrong with the character we dislike. purab has been criticised for everything. from his age(which i happen to think is not much by current showbiz standards) , cloths(blame it on shows costume designers ) to his pronounciation(i don't blame him because after staying for mere 5 yrs in usa, i too have been told that my accent has changed back home). i am sure many people find faults with armaan and jassi/jessica too.

peaches thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Hey,

I just want to comment one thing.  First off even if Mons Singh did happen to vist the I f, she can't take offensive to those topics, because she is a professional actress....I'm assuming.  It comes with the territory.  I'm sure she is aware of the fact that some people are going to like her and some people are not.  She has to deal with it. This includes looks and acting.  It's up to eveyone's judgement and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I personaly think it's not appropriate to do such a thing, so I did my part and chose not to visit that thread, but that's just me.

But at the same time, eveyone has to express they're own views and this is the place for it.

Thanks.

OM

OM

purva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thank you spike for speaking for all of us who feel the same way you do...you said it very well 👏 👏
queenbee thumbnail
Originally posted by: spike

I am not replying back to deli or anyone for any matter. I respect her comments.  Nor am I trying get an argument started. I felt that this issue needed to be pointed out to everyone. And anyone who wishes to start a row over this, please don't do it here.

Spike, I'm sure you don't believe that expressing disagreement amounts to rowing, do you? Assuming that's correct, I'd like to make a couple of points myself.

But I also have a few things to say. Throughout my time in IF I have seen lots of posts where characters have been given names which I really think did need some degree of attention when they were written.

According to Deli, by chance if Mona Singh came here, how would she feel..... Well, with all the 'Purab uncle' and 'grandad' names going around, if Samir Soni ever came to this site, what would he feel? And mind you these names have gone around far more than jassi's or armaan's.

Purab has been called 'uncle' and 'grandad' because of the fact that he looks old in the show and in reality 'is and looks' 36 years old. So his "gift from God" has been critisized. Why didn't any mod raise an eye-brow then? It was taken lightly or too unimportant to comment on perhaps, by both the mods and the purab supporters. (Thank God for that, or else there wud have been a big row over it)

Yes, Purab was called 'Uncle' and 'Granddad' plenty of times. But I'd like you to show me any recent posts where Purab has been labeled that. The wave came and subsided... and it subsided only because people realized that this was hurting Purab fans and hurting their friendships as well. I am one of those people who completely stopped any sly references to Purab's age and looks and have stuck to commenting on his acting or whatever else. I am sure you will find a lot of people having done the same thing. The realization may have come late, but it DID come.

Second, just as I feel it's not OK to start a thread whose sole purpose was running down Jassi's looks, I don't think calling Purab 'Uncle' was OK either, simply because it caused a great deal of offense. These things may sound funny to some people and nauseating to others. Like the famous quote goes: an eye for an eye would just end up making everyone blind. I'm sure we can have plenty of interesting discussions without making snide remarks and poking fun at the actors' looks. They are all just playing a part, and all of them are giving it the best they can. That is why we tune in to watch the show every night. To decry them based on their physical attributes and that too in such a frivolous manner is insulting, at least to me. You agree that it was not an intelligent discussion, or even particularly funny. I still haven't understood the idea behind this admittedly 'eye-catching' subject: "Jassi the Man." Don't you think that's just a wee bit offensive? How wold you like this topic: "Purab the Woman"?

I agree that an actor's looks are God's contribution to making that person. But just like not every actor fits a particular role, not every actor looks good in every shot of a show. I'm sure a lot of you will agree that every actor in JJKN didn't look good in all their parts.

Now a few people feel jessica doesn't look that good as jessica. That includes me too. If you can praise someone's sharp features and looks, which actually form a part, but never the whole of an actor, why can't you critisize someone's looks?? After all, praising and critisizing are all discussions, be it looks or acting ability.

That's true. No actor can look good from all angles in all scenes with all manner of clothes and make-up. But this is not what it was about. When I go back and read some of the posts they are most acidic. Mystica is very right, it is NOT fair to judge an actor based on something they have no control over, such as their jawbones or shape of face or whatever. And it's ludicrous to think that a certain actor suits or doesn't suit a particular role because of the shape of their back etc etc. There was nothing constructive in this entire conversation, only the 'bashing' which, imho, is uncalled for.

peaches thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Queen BEE!  Your so good with laying presenting your thoughts.  How about you take a peak at "Jessica is so annoying". 

I'd like to know you thoughts on that please.

Om

Morgoth thumbnail

[quote=spike]Purab has been called 'uncle' and 'grandad' because of the fact that he looks old in the show and in reality 'is and looks' 36 years old. So his "gift from God" has been critisized. [/quote]

Agree 100%.

[quote=queenbee]I am one of those people who completely stopped any sly references to Purab's age and looks and have stuck to commenting on his acting or whatever else. I am sure you will find a lot of people having done the same thing. The realization may have come late, but it DID come.[/quote]

That is very sweet of you and other Armaan fans, QB. 🤗 We Purab fans appreciate it.

[quote=queenbee]I don't think calling Purab 'Uncle' was OK either, simply because it caused a great deal of offense. These things may sound funny to some people and nauseating to others. Like the famous quote goes: an eye for an eye would just end up making everyone blind. I'm sure we can have plenty of interesting discussions without making snide remarks and poking fun at the actors' looks. They are all just playing a part, and all of them are giving it the best they can. That is why we tune in to watch the show every night. To decry them based on their physical attributes and that too in such a frivolous manner is insulting, at least to me. You agree that it was not an intelligent discussion, or even particularly funny. [/quote]

Beautifully said. 👏

To quote a wise person: "Small minds discuss people, big minds discuss actions, great minds discuss ideas".

jprasad thumbnail
Originally posted by: MysticaMagic

[quote=spike]Purab has been called 'uncle' and 'grandad' because of the fact that he looks old in the show and in reality 'is and looks' 36 years old. So his "gift from God" has been critisized. [/quote]

Agree 100%.

[quote=queenbee]I am one of those people who completely stopped any sly references to Purab's age and looks and have stuck to commenting on his acting or whatever else. I am sure you will find a lot of people having done the same thing. The realization may have come late, but it DID come.[/quote]

That is very sweet of you and other Armaan fans, QB. 🤗 We Purab fans appreciate it.

[quote=queenbee]I don't think calling Purab 'Uncle' was OK either, simply because it caused a great deal of offense. These things may sound funny to some people and nauseating to others. Like the famous quote goes: an eye for an eye would just end up making everyone blind. I'm sure we can have plenty of interesting discussions without making snide remarks and poking fun at the actors' looks. They are all just playing a part, and all of them are giving it the best they can. That is why we tune in to watch the show every night. To decry them based on their physical attributes and that too in such a frivolous manner is insulting, at least to me. You agree that it was not an intelligent discussion, or even particularly funny. [/quote]

Beautifully said. 👏

To quote a wise person: "Small minds discuss people, big minds discuss actions, great minds discuss ideas".

I don't fall into any of these categories, what do I discuss?
Piscean thumbnail
Armaan jprasad....any doubts about that? 😉 Besides I figured Armaan didn't fit into the category of people for you.....isn't he more a reward (only for you of course!)? 😃
Piscean thumbnail
Agreed though with QB! We haven't seen many of the "uncle" comments going around lately and I can't thank all the Armaan fans enough for the same! Thanks for making I-F more pleasant for all of us Purabians!😃