Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

bollywood musicals??

samie IF-Veteran Member
samie
samie

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 5:03am | IP Logged

it was reported last week th@ bollywood should stop makin musicals as they should focus on the storyline instead. can ne 1 imagine a bw film wid out ne hit masala songs???

well some films tryed n flopped at the box office but personally i think music is the best part of the film yh sometimes they do go over the top n have bout a song after bout 2 minz but can u guys go w@ ch a bw film 4 bout 3 hours wid out no music????

Morgoth IF-Veteran Member
Morgoth
Morgoth

--

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged
very interesting question, samie.

actually, i am one of those people who dislikes songs interrupting the storyline. i always end up fast-forwarding the songs to get on with the movie. Embarrassed

that being said, i am not completely against film songs. i think that there are several advantages to this:

1) it helps in the growth of the music industry and allows new singers to carve their own niches into the market. otherwise, it would be very difficult for all these newcomers from Musical reality shows to stick around very long or even get launched properly.

2) a good song always enhances a story and conveys the film's emotions better than just dialogues.

3) they serve as breaks for people like me. LOL

Disadvantages:

1) these days the quality of songs being produced is deteriorating. frankly, most of the material is not worth listening to. the lyrics have no meaning and the music is a patchwork of copied tunes from other sources.

2) sometimes songs are absolutely unnecessary. it feels as if they have just been placed there to make a 3 hour movie with no substance. Kind of how you increase the font of a 10 page paper to make it 12 pages long. Tongue

Overall, i feel that without film songs, our music industry would dwindle significantly. playback singers with good voices, but not necessarily good looks or a vibrant personality, would have no scope in such a market.

so, i feel there should be songs in a bollywood movie. (i can always fwd them Wink )
samie IF-Veteran Member
samie
samie

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged
hey mysti some good views some i reflect 2 as well such as the 1 th@ makes the breaks n like u hav said quality is poor these days such as the songs from movies like Shaadi No. 1 - Hello Adam, Jodi No. 1- aNDE kA pANDA n really naff songs
SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 10:48am | IP Logged
Hindi films are known worldwide for their Music/Songs/Dances etc, I don't think they should ever abondon it. Ofcourse filmmakers must see to it that they fit in the story.
Artemisia Channel Moderator
Artemisia
Artemisia

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 11:41am | IP Logged
yaar thants the trademark of an indian film the fact that it has songs if people dont like the songs just skip them but u cannot create a indian film without ne songs in it
Shezaadi Goldie
Shezaadi
Shezaadi

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
For me the music is the best part of the movie, although lately there aren't many good songs. I agree with MainEkHasina that the songs are the trademark of bollywood movies, I have many Canadian freinds and they really like bw films, even though they don't understand a thing, and their favourite parts are songs and dancing.

But it really bugs me if there are too many and if they are really unnecessary, but they are a good break.
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ IF-Sizzlerz
~LiL*PrInCeZ~
~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:43pm | IP Logged
i agree with everything mystica di said...i dont like the songs much either...when i am watching hindi movies i either fast forward the songs or use them as breaks go leave the room so i wouldnt really mind watching a movie without the sons but it just wouldnt be "bollywood" LOL and it is an important part of bollywood and it is impossible to remove it so like mystica di i can always use the little breaks in between or i can forward it Smile
|iami5o4| Goldie
|iami5o4|
|iami5o4|

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged
Well, I think having musicals in hindi films is fine as long as it fits in the story. But I gotta admit there's a bunch of movies that go wrong because all these unnecessary songs are put in.

But I like the way Bollywood films are. Their musicals make them unique and different from anything else. That's what sets them apart from other movies around the world. I don't think a film can be "Bollywood" without the musicals.

I think as long as the music and dance fits well in the story its all good. Bollywood is after all the most productive film industry in the world. Kuddos to that~!

And if people have a problem with the musicals than they have a problem with Bollywood. If they don't like it than don't watch it. Geek

Go to top