Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Neelu.RoX

IF-Rockerz

Neelu.RoX

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged

Should marijuana be a medical option now?

Whats wrong with it? I mean if it helps you get better, then whats the problem.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Should marijuana..." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged
I really don't know what is marijuana? Can somebody plz explain it? Is it a medicine? If it is and it helps to cure people so wht's the problem???

Leviathan

Channel Moderator

Leviathan

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 10:38am | IP Logged
well its a drug and it can be addictive as well and be misused, but i dont think ita a lethal drug like cocaine or heroine is therefore i dont mind it being legalised

Leviathan

Channel Moderator

Leviathan

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MNMS

I really don't know what is marijuana? Can somebody plz explain it? Is it a medicine? If it is and it helps to cure people so wht's the problem???

its a type of drug that can be home grown and sometimes cancer patients can use it to numb their pain

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged
marijuana (a.k.a cannabis or ganja) should only be legalized for those who need it medically.

this kind of drug gives only temporary euphoria, but later you simply crash and get addicted to it.

on the other hand, as far as I know, there isn't any real evidence that regulations against marijuana sales have acutally deterred consumption. in fact, it has just created a very wealthy underground market for this drug.

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged
I have searched abt marijuana... ok i agree that it is sure given to cancer / AIDS patients to ease their pain and those wacky nausiatic conditions... but personally im not in favour of those medicines or products which cause addiction.

Why? Because in a recent medical report (i read on internet... do correct me if im wrong) any medicine/product which is addictive can and SURE causes the brain cells destruction, which is unfortunately nor recoverable. That includes from extensive use of sleeping pills to alchol.. and extend it to marijuana.. Yes i agree that marijuana MAY help in comforting the patient but only in the short term... the long term consequences are bad. Moreover its not a life-saving drug that is extremely necessary to use. Medical science is making progress day-by-day... im not a doctor but im sure there may be other ways to tackle the situation.

One more fact.. i read somewhere earlier that Queen Victoria of England used marijuana to ease her abdominal cramps. And that marijuana was surprisingly given by her doctor (i think she forced her doctor for that becoz the sentence was written in such a way, it gave the impression like the Queen was breaching her own country's law.. i don't know.. may be marijuana was banned at that time .. or not.. its just a guess)

|iami5o4|

Goldie

|iami5o4|

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged
I think there's a lot of misconceptions about marijuana. People say that you'll instantly get addicted to it the moment you take it. That's not necessarily true.

I have a cousin who injured her foot some time ago and when she went to the hopsital they gave her some marijuana and she much felt better. She did act a little funny when she was on it but she didn't get "addicted" or have any brain damage afterwards. Her foot healed and she was all better again. Nothing about her changed.

Here's a study done on Marijuana by the Insitution of Medicine. You can read it here.

Q: Is marijuana addictive?

A:
"Compared to most other drugs ... dependence among marijuana users is relatively rare." [p. 94]

Drug Category Proportion Of Users That Ever Became Dependent (%)
Tobacco 32
Alcohol 15
Marijuana (including hashish) 9
Cocaine 17
Heroin 23

"In summary, although few marijuana users develop dependence, some do. But they appear to be less likely to do so than users of other drugs (including alcohol and nicotine), and marijuana dependence appears to be less severe than dependence on other drugs." [p. 98]

I think if patients need to take some marijuana to avoid intense pain caused by their illness than I think thats perfectly fine. If it's going to help them than why not? Why would somone choose pain over pleasure anyway?

But if their treatmeant is going to be long-term than they should probably seek other alternatives to relieve their pain because there is a possibility that they can become dependent on it if they use it for a long period of time. But I don't think the hospital would let someone do that to themself. They would probably stop the treatment right away if their patients became really addictive or sick. They would give them the some other kind of pain killer even though it might not work as well.

I think as long as the person gets better from their original state by using marijuana I think its pefectly fine. If its going to help them get through their injury or illness than why not?

Leviathan

Channel Moderator

Leviathan

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged
yeah true it is addictive but aint everything in life its how we use it that counts and u wont get addicted to it straight away like other drugs

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.