Why is going to a psychiatrist a stigma

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Why are mental illnesses such a stigma in society? if people have a toothache or a headache they will visit the dentist or doctor but if they have a mantal illness, why wont thy visit the psychologist (or if it is serious psychiatrist)? If someone has a physical disease, others support them but if someone has a mental illness that person is shunned from society.

What is the reason for this?

what is there such a strong stigma in society against mentally challenged people?

what can be done to lessen this?

how do you feel about this?

Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Very nice topic Javz. I have lots to say on it and i have many examples and experiences to share. But not now jaanu. Mentally exhausted. B bak lader!!! 😆
sameer.84 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
maybe because we take all forms of mentallly ill ppl (mild and severe) a threat to the society even if its not so.
sweetlata thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I never thought about it But I will certainly add a food of thought on that,very shortly 😊
MNMS thumbnail
Hi guys.. this is my first post in Debate mansion...and on mental illness!!! 😕 😆 Can anybody welcome me!!??? 😆

Well as far as i think people build a kind of fort around themselves. Most of the people think that they will be considered "mad" if they go to a psychiatrist/ psychologist 😕 . Moreover the thing which literally haunts is the extensive use of tranquillizers by some doctors . Yes i agree sometimes it is unavoidable but SOME doctors try to suppress the illness by giving pills, which is wrong. Sometimes only active listening helps! So what's the point in just making money and deferring the disease??

To an extent the society is responsible. They stop visiting the houses where someone is mentally ill- a kind of boycott!! RIDICULOUS!!! Making gossip like :koi sayaa chur gaya, the house is haunted,etc. And due to this the family members r sort of forced to impose a JAIL on the suffering person -making the condition for the poor person even worse.

And the biggest reason for any kind of mental illness, wht i think, is the LACK OF COMMUNICATION. Whether its the family problems or anything else, any kind of barrier which restricts a person for the expression of emotions leads to frustration. Yes, life is not a bed of roses, but the energy to fight comes from the mental support provided by ur loved ones. No person is able to conquer any battle on her/his own. We are called social animal,WHY??? We do need support and guidance. So what is the problem in talking and discussing the issue? Why so many forts/barriers to hinder the communication process? Why don't we talk and resolve issues??

ok now wht could be done to lessen it?? To me its the awareness and education which can counter attack the small thinking that exists in the society. U know people refuse to even believe that children may have psychological problems!! The excuse: They r children, unable to understand anything, so wht's the problem. WRONG!!!! Children r the most sensitive and mature people on earth these days. To underestimate them is the biggest mistake. And then wht happens, the trauma is not cured, leading ultimately to more complicated problems in future. If a child's problem is not resolved in time, it can turn him into a serial killer in future!!!!NO JOKES!!! Many examples available. Go and search. U'll understand wht im saying.

To conclude, mental illness should be cured in time. This intangible/invisible illness is far disastrous from the physical illness anybody faces.

Traveller thumbnail
hey thats a really nice topic..and i very good observation..i have never thot about it and now that i do, i really dont kno why that happens...
its realy sad..
maybe because they portray a very disturbing image that may even sometimes frighten people..i admit that even while seeing such patients in a movie,they are behind bars and screaming ,i am deeply disturbed..obviously u cant shun them from society for that but still as sam_84 said maybe their a threat to society...its hard to come up with a concrete reason,but ill think about it..
sweetlata thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: MNMS

Hi guys.. this is my first post in Debate mansion...and on mental illness!!! 😕 😆 Can anybody welcome me!!??? 😆

Well as far as i think people build a kind of fort around themselves. Most of the people think that they will be considered "mad" if they go to a psychiatrist/ psychologist 😕 . Moreover the thing which literally haunts is the extensive use of tranquillizers by some doctors . Yes i agree sometimes it is unavoidable but SOME doctors try to suppress the illness by giving pills, which is wrong. Sometimes only active listening helps! So what's the point in just making money and deferring the disease??

To an extent the society is responsible. They stop visiting the houses where someone is mentally ill- a kind of boycott!! RIDICULOUS!!! Making gossip like :koi sayaa chur gaya, the house is haunted,etc. And due to this the family members r sort of forced to impose a JAIL on the suffering person -making the condition for the poor person even worse.

And the biggest reason for any kind of mental illness, wht i think, is the LACK OF COMMUNICATION. Whether its the family problems or anything else, any kind of barrier which restricts a person for the expression of emotions leads to frustration. Yes, life is not a bed of roses, but the energy to fight comes from the mental support provided by ur loved ones. No person is able to conquer any battle on her/his own. We are called social animal,WHY??? We do need support and guidance. So what is the problem in talking and discussing the issue? Why so many forts/barriers to hinder the communication process? Why don't we talk and resolve issues??

ok now wht could be done to lessen it?? To me its the awareness and education which can counter attack the small thinking that exists in the society. U know people refuse to even believe that children may have psychological problems!! The excuse: They r children, unable to understand anything, so wht's the problem. WRONG!!!! Children r the most sensitive and mature people on earth these days. To underestimate them is the biggest mistake. And then wht happens, the trauma is not cured, leading ultimately to more complicated problems in future. If a child's problem is not resolved in time, it can turn him into a serial killer in future!!!!NO JOKES!!! Many examples available. Go and search. U'll understand wht im saying.

To conclude, mental illness should be cured in time. This intangible/invisible illness is far disastrous from the physical illness anybody faces.

👏 Very well said.You get 10/10.You left me thinking 😳 Thanks.

ANd By The way Welcome 😃

.Prometheus. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
well u know the saying people fear what they do not understand i think that this is very much the case here people are just not educated enough in these matters therefore they label things to make themselves fell betta
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Yes in India , and i assume Pakistan would be simlar Javz taking any sort of treatment or even admiting to the fact that you have some psycological issue is completely taboo and frowned on!! And very sadly so , as this is very very common in our society and although we don't realise it but often your sister , your bhabhi, your aunt, or your uncle could be going through a) depression b)post partum depression c)Anxiety disorders d) post traumatic stress disorder e) Any sort of chemical imbalance etc etc etc !!!!

Around me i have come across so many people in India who went through this and got very late treatment after they had suffered a great deal.

My dear friend was in her late teans diagnosed with "bi- polar disorder". Where you go through massive mood swings !! Her parents never acknowledeged the fact that her "mood swings " were not the normal part of a personality but serious untill she started making several attempts to commit suicide. Only after she made these failed attempts did they take her for treatment. But she had been suffering from this dis-order for many years. Her behaviour was "relatively" normal so no one noticed!!

I have another very close friend who had a massive post partum (post delivery) break down. All her life she was highly insecure ,under confident, and socially afraid of people's reaction. Her behaviour was never normal but was taken as "normal" because her parents did not want people to think of her daughter as a "freak" !!!????!!! Only after the break down, the doctor said she has had this "chemical imbalance" for many years before this.

In India i have come across so many friends who went through " severe depression" for ages after they had a relationship break up, went through divorce, failed a year in school etc etc.Depression is more common than you can believe it !! The change in behavior ,the need to be by themselves for long periods, sudden self loathing etc etc are classic symptoms of depression and are not recognised by us Indians. We are told to either a) snap out of it ..........its all in your mind!!! b)Doing something to divert your mind and you will forget it! c)Do yoga and meditation to control your mind !!!!
Its very sad but your family and friends do not recognise the mental agony you are suffering!!

Very often we ourselves do not want to believe there is something wrong with us and we our told by other "you are just fine!" This is sad as most likely these things often escalate into more dangerous things in a later period, sometimes after 10 years !!
Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago
Neelu.RoX thumbnail
Jav, Nice topic. I have actully have a personal experience with this.People in India or Pakistan just assume people are automatliclly pagal if they go to a pychotirst. But people in America dont assume things so easily. They dont under estimate a person with a pysiatric problem.

People In india or Pakistan think that if you have a psycitory problem that you made the delibratly happen to you self. and you could of stopped it form happening. But people dont understand the problem the problem until tey have it them selves.

To tell you the truth, almost a year before i used to think that going to a psycotrist was a sign saying that person is pagal. But know that i had a experience my self. I understand, that it not a big deal.

Well, i dont think going to a psycotrist is like going going to the docter. Because it very different!