Should private inst. have reservation?

Posted: 18 years ago
Should private schools like IITs/IIMs have seat reservations? This is the burning issue in India right now. Your thoughts on the same.

I will come back with mine soon.

(http://in.rediff.com/getahead/quota06.html)

On April 8, Human Resources Minister Arjun Singh announced the government's intention to reserve 49 per cent seats in all government-regulated education institutions -- including IITs and IIMs.

The move, predictably, has set off a storm, since by bringing the IITs and IIMs under the quota raj, the government could well be compromising the regime of intellectual meritocracy these institutions set out to establish.

The government's plan could mean the end of a dream for many of you -- of obtaining a degree from India's premier educational institutions.

For many others, it could also be the beginning of a dream -- an opportunity to join the hallowed ranks composed of IIT-IIM graduates.

Either way, tell us what you think by filling out the box alongside. We will collect all your views till midnight of April 26 and forward them to Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.

This is your best chance to make yourself heard, and to make a difference!
Edited by Anjali.Nair - 18 years ago
I am completely against any reservations, especially for the SC/ST or any other minorties based on religon in Private or Public sector.

The reservations should only be till graduation levels , and after the "down trodden" have been given an opportunity to prove themselves and get admission through merit in Private institutes like IIT's and IIM's.

I would favour scholarship grants for the economically weak. Those people who have the capablity but due to the high fees Institutions have they could benifit through scholarship. But getting a scholarship should only be on the basis of merit and not because of a religous affiliation.

Through these reservations in Private and Public sectors we are inviting mediocre people to enter some important areas.

It is highly unfair for the intelligent, deserving and the hardworking who would clear all exams and would have been given admission solely on the basis of merit.
First of all let me clear the concept of the so called reservations. Many Many years ago when most of us werent born, the forward classes as they call, the brahmins and zamindar castes were rich and the other castes remained poor. After independence they wanted to remove this disparity and hence the reservations system evolved.

Shift - These times. I dont see much dfference in the financial positions of either sects. We have reservations for the backward classes!!!( i dont know why this name is stl pertinent ..now thats another debate)in schools, colleges ( in states like tamilnadu it is very strongly felt), profesisonal colleges and government jobs.

Now we want to bring this in the one area which had no unfair competition IIM and IITs. One wonders when India is walking towards economic progress and things look bright for intelligent and bright people why are we even discussing this? Should we not be discussing about the abolishment of benefits based on caste?

IIT and IIM represent India's brightest minds at an international level - Do we want to see people benefited via reservations to represent us? To stop more brain drain and to uphold india's intelligent quotient high such talks should be nipped off in the bud.

RESERVATion by its limiting nature cuts merit and if the government thinks by following a quota system it  can provide leg-up to the socially disadvantaged then it is a bad idea and should be shot down.

Unfortunately populism is what guides our netas, for few votes they can play havoc with the lives of the Young.
          On Monday while taking my final exam we were interrupted midway as union ppl from the Univ came to ask us to participate in the stir as BHU has already done.
I have heard of Mandal and have read how Delhi burnt during the stir, why do they want to repeat it ?
The IIMS and IITs are centres of higher learning, I have been slogging for past few months as I will be appearing in several management entrance tests in NOV, I do not know how many seats will be left for general quota ppl?    As it is we have entrance exams, these test your proficiency.

Why dont they bring reservation in Cricket also, all ten players should  come through quota system and one general, let us see how the country moves forward?   

DR Manmohan Singh our PM has been associated with liberalisation and he is the best example of merit paying in the end, why is he taking a retrogade step?
As things stand in all state universities and institutions the reservation will come to 49.5%.  IIT and IIMs have entrance tests, this gives a level playing field to all, with reservation a person with 1 mark can find a place in the merit , courtesy reservation.  Through reservation we are creating another class that has privilege access to seats not on merit but quota system .

I wonder if any agency has evaluated if at all reservation has benifited the poor and backward classes? IN all probability since independence we have had this system, it was envisaged that with time reservation will be withdrawn, but it has been increasing since the last several year. It is proof that it has not worked, then why repeat the same mistakes.
         Then there is backwardness in every caste and community which is only economic, if at all reservation should be given it should be in schools and there two a system of reward so that the genuine benefit.

RESRvation affects quality,  our universities( where quota system already exist) are on the verge of collapse because nothing much is being done to  enhance the academic quality, a system that gives  equal opportunity to all should be encouraged. PM Sir please don't do this, u have been part of this system and been successful ,  reservation will debase education system, delhi school of economics is proud of you, we expect something better sir!

Edited by Signora2 - 18 years ago
I feel instead of the reservations in the higher educations and jobs, govt. should spend money in the primary and elementary level of education for the needed class. If the base is strong I think everybody can compete with everyone. It's certainly not that all the backward class people don't have brains, it's just their traditional lack of exposure to cultural and educational environments. Edited by Pradarshak - 18 years ago
Originally posted by Pradarshak

I feel instead of the reservations in the higher educations and jobs, govt. should spend money in the primary and elementary level of education for the needed class. If the base is strong I think everybody can compete with everyone. It's certainly not that all the backward class people don't have brains, it's just their traditional lack of exposure to cultural and educational environments.

Very well said . The goverment school edu is lousy and no where at power with Public/Private schools. Improve the standards at that level so that the quality of students will have the power to compete on basis of merit . Just don't keep handing out crutches like "reservations".

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Very well said . The goverment school edu is lousy and no where at power with Public/Private schools. Improve the standards at that level so that the quality of students will have the power to compete on basis of merit . Just don't keep handing out crutches like "reservations".

Thanks Aparna. And at a later stage I really intend to do something about it, may be not in a huge scale but at least can cover a small area. If for others I can set an example even in a very small scale, it would be a big achievement for me. My father was a school teacher, and I've learnt from him a lot.

Posted: 17 years ago
http://ia.rediff.com/news/2006/may/16look.htm?q=tp&file=.htm

I came across this article today...it's really sad that they are still thinking to increase these OBC's quota. I really believe for youth should be treated equally. I also agree with Pradarshak about bringing it to elementary level and exposing them with education at young age so they don't need any quota to get jobs or prove themselves.
NO, absolutely not...If having reservations for more than 50 years has not had any impact on upliftment of opressed classes ....why should it have any impact now? And why always stick to caste based reservation..if there must be reservation it msut be based only on the economic criterion..then if the so called "opressed" classes are really opressed...they will automatically come under the purview of this criterion...cast based reservation policies are nothing but a cheap gimmick by a senile minister..

Originally posted by winnie_pooh

NO, absolutely not...If having reservations for more than 50 years has not had any impact on upliftment of opressed classes ....why should it have any impact now? And why always stick to caste based reservation..if there must be reservation it msut be based only on the economic criterion..then if the so called "opressed" classes are really opressed...they will automatically come under the purview of this criterion...cast based reservation policies are nothing but a cheap gimmick by a senile minister..

agree! keep scholarships instead of reservations.

it is unfortunate that patients are being affected all over because of the strike in medical schools, though.