Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

usachick821

Goldie

usachick821

Posted: 12 April 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged

i was browsing along on yahoo when i went to the travel section, and not having been to mumbai since a lil kid, i was wondering what others thought of the city and i was horrified at what some people said...

"...India is filthy and not beautiful at all. I have been to China and Thailand and Malaysia. Those places are dirty, but India is in a whole new category of dirty it is downright filthy and disgusting..."

that was the opinion of not one, but many of the reviewers!. Do u agree with what they're saying (not about india as a whole but just mumbai), and what have ur experiences with it been? how can we improve this situation so that the city doesnt seem so unwelcome to other people?

here is the link to see what the other people had to say about mumbai-

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-191501630-prod-travelguide -action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "mumbai the worst city in the world?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Miss-kiss

Miss-kiss

Posted: 12 April 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged
thats stupid i dont think india is filthy, the streets are dirty but so is the same with bunch of other countries anyways who cares wat other ppl think they dotn realise the true beauty Embarrassed

Majority

IF-Dazzler

Majority

Posted: 12 April 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
I call Mumbai the New York of the East.

Any person who is willing to work will find livelihood in Mumbai. Not so in any other city in India.

The incessant vibrancy, the "show has to go on" spirit of the people, the constant activity, Bollywood ..... yeh hai Mumbai meri jaan.

And anyone who thinks otherwise, be it of Mumbai or of the entire country .... well sour grapes baby, sour grapes.

simi1295

Goldie

simi1295

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 6:20am | IP Logged
I would smack the person who said anything about india. Indian is the most beautiFul place and ppl are gr8 thr. and you have to be an indian to love india otherwise dont call your self indians.. east or best, india is the best.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged
"Mumbai is the worst city in the world" isn't a true statement. But its one of the worst cities is possible.

Amongst the "worst" i remember reading a survey 5 years ago or something and NewYork was supposed to be one of the worst. They had rated cities on the basis of a) Pollution b) Crime rate c) People living in poverty etc .

I recall reading as "Delhi" being one of the worst cities in the respect that crime rate is very high and due to air pollution.

As for the website you gave, its a travel blog i can see , and one thing is for many Europeans and Americans India comes as a Culture shock and can be very scary for many.I have had many White friends of mine who went to India and will unlikely go back and i have many who absolutely loved India.

Frankly India needs to be enjoyed with an open mind and heart to understand its eccentricities and its uniqueness ! Smile

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged
Of course the eastern countries lack in the western sofistication, like they have it everywhere,very uniform. Our problems are population and pollution. Wish we had the weather like western countries. But that does not mean that we have nothing to offer. Or why would they keep exploring? Other than scenic beauties and historical structures, our strong point is our culture, heritage and we care to share.

If anyone has noticed that in west all big celebrations are mostly indoor/inhouse, restricted among the related or known ones. While in east we like to share our joy of celebration with strangers too. Most of the common celebrations are open to all.

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 3:22pm | IP Logged
Strictly tourism wise I woudlnt visit Mumbai personally if I were given a choice.
In India I would go to the mountains and the beaches, backwaters of Kerala, the Northeast. There is a lot of beauty to be found in India's scenery.

I would recommend Delhi as a city for tourism simply because there is more to see around it as in - world famous- historic monuments and of course within the city itself, The red fort, Qutub Minar, Agra close by and such.
There is a lot to visit monument wise in about 70km radius of Mumbai (especially compared to the US). Could hang out at Goa too but its way too crowded these days.

but honest to god one couldnt be as disillusioned with traffic and beggars than anywhere else Ive visited. Its really scary. One has to experiance it to believe it. its a horrifying experiance.

Cities in the south are much better in terms of pollution and traffic. Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore. bangalore is steadily losing its charm and beauty that used to be. But yet, Mysore is close by and there is a lot to see around it.

But I wouldnt recommend ANY city in India for a tourist, only to get to the rest of India and places but definitely not spend time there.

Signora2

Goldie

Signora2

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
Mumbai used to be a great city , I have fond memories of it and visit it quite often. The infrastructure is creeking in Mumbai, it is one big slum, the citizens were very vocal once upon a time, the floods did open their eyes but not for long.
Bangalore too is facing similar problems. IN Delhi what ever is collected as funds or taxes is ploughed back to the city this is not happening with MUmbai. less is spent on the city.
Delhi could face the migration crisis by building up satellite cities,in NOIda and Gurgaon, Mumbai on the other hand has seen expansion in suburban areas, People commute between NOrth and South Mumbai on daily basis.
However if one has to travel India, come with an open mind, the cleanliness standards are not of high standard not even in the modern day Malls.
However the International Tourist agency and Time magazine has rated Kasuli( for tourist resort) Manali and the Ananda spa in Rishikesh among the best in the world.

Edited by Signora2 - 13 April 2006 at 10:27pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top