Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: ~PaKi*PrInCeZ~

yea aparna di i agree...hell is not a bad word and i dont know why there would be an problems using it...and as for "human waste" as aparna di called it 😆 .

Actually i think its best reffered to as "bodily waste" as even animals , mammals and birds "go" too!!!!!!
.Prometheus. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
i think this is done to please every1 there will be the odd people who disagree though
Morgoth thumbnail
I don't see anything wrong with either of the words used. Words like "hell", "bloody" and "damn" were regarded as blasphemous or swear-words initially, but they have gradually been accepted.

Nevertheless, the word synonymous with faeces is rarely used in teen novels. Most people still find it strongly offensive.

But, in most fics, if you want to avoid writing out the word itself, the best thing to do is to say that "X swore" or "Y cursed loudly". That way people get the message without you having to be explicit about it. 😉
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

I don't see anything wrong with either of the words used. Words like "hell", "bloody" and "damn" were regarded as blasphemous or swear-words initially, but they have gradually been accepted.

Ya i was thinking the same thing . The "hell" word was considered blashphemous in Christian societies. Infact one would be likely offending a pious church going christian by the use of these words and by "exclaiming" aloud " for Christs sake , holy mother of god .You'd be told not to take the lords name in vain !!!!!!!!!😊
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
True. I don't see anything bad in using the words like hell or damn or crap, as long as they are not being used to swear at someone. Moreover, I have a simple rule,allow the words which would be welcome in any company, bachche bude or jawaan, preferably all together. 😆 Basically what we call literary decency. And hell or crap or damn aren't really abusive words, rather they are slangs.

However, b#@#$ or s$#@ words are pretty unpleasnat in any company, and I really don't have to be under 13 to be offended by it.......
sowmyaa thumbnail
Don't they try to use Hell-heck, damn-darn.
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail

Originally posted by: candyfloss

some strong words actually goes with the plot.and it doesn't offend anyone.

how does cursing strengthen the plot?😕

i am no writer but cursing does not really change the plot enough to play a significant role. yes, maybe it might be useful in developing the character especially if you want to portray the character as a "rough" or "ill-mannered" person. but you can do that using mysica di's method of "character X cursed".

hell and damn and such words are now accepted and i dont consider them "curses" and i dont think they are considered curses on IF either (i dont remember ever editing those words out of anyone's post) but other words are not acceptable and shoud not be used

Edited by ~PaKi*PrInCeZ~ - 18 years ago
Morgoth thumbnail
Agree, Jav! Most authors rarely use profanity through means other than a rough character.

To add to that, profanity does not really add to your plot. If you use strong language, people are more distracted by the swear-words you used instead of focussing on the real story.

I remember reading one novel where an entire chapter was dedicated to the words F*** and S***. As the book was an award winner, I assume there must be some significance to the chapter. But, frankly, I never understood it. To me, it did not add anything to the plot and was a blot in an otherwise excellent book.

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
yea mysica di i agreee...towards the end of the book Catcher in the Rye, there is a lot of use of F*** but salinnger used it in an acceptable manner...it actually developed the charater's personality and showed that even though he saw the world of childhood as innocense but it wasnt that way, infact, he thought the whole world was a utopia which it certainly is not. i forgot the character's name but there were many instances curses were used in that book and it still won awards and it is a respectable book (was that the book you were talking about?)
Morgoth thumbnail
No, it wasn't Catcher in the Rye. I can't seem to remember the book's name now. 😕