Book Talk

The WiKed Worms!Open Book Discussion-CH2 updt@p1 (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 5

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 5
Page 4 Page 5

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Srushti-

So finally editing the reserveLOL

So I will admit that the character of Mrs. Benett added flavour to the story, her imbecile remarks and her husband's constant retorts which obviously went above her head, were unique!- She is definitely something and I happy she isn't the boring kind of mothers.Alison Steadman who plays Mrs. B in BBCs adaptation was simply suberb.

And the way they show the preferences amongst their daughters is unique, too.
Jane was one thing they might agree upon, such was her disposition, beautiful, calm, sweet, to some extent gullible too, and the way she held herself was dignified too...I guess her father could not have had any objection her not being not as intelligent as Lizzy, where as her mother obviously saw her as the ticket to a better life and opener of the gates for good alliances for her other daughters...She was her trump card..
Since Mr. B had a clear favorite, in Elizabeth and doesn't hesitate to show that, I think, Mrs. B kind of took it upon herself to fend for her other daughters, esp. with him calling them silly, ignorant et al. 

Another thing which we are likely to hear all through the series is 'My poor nerves'...You would sometimes like to bang a pan on her head for her insensitivity and callousness towards her family...and sometimes you wonder if she became this way because of the inability of Mr. Bennett to love her for the vain woman she is... - The "nerves" are legendary but I kind of agree  on her taking to them as often as she does. She knows that, she and Mr. B aren't exactly equals but I think she believes she is more the woman of the world than Mr. B who is happy to be confined to his library. 

But ofcourse Mr. Bennett's obvious partiality towards Elizabeth makes us love him...and his mild attempts at bringing humour with his wit ( which he is extremely proud of ) actually make us like him...
His statement that 'When there are 20 of them, I will visit each of them' ...does give an impression of a  bit of careless man ...but you know that he is not dumb when he subtly remarks about Mrs. Benett's nerve...saying that they have been his best friends all these years...- 
  ''You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.'' That statement was my absolute favorite.. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT !!! What a way to drive the point home...LOL

Anways...this is enough of a ramble...Do put in your take on this first intro chappieEmbarrassed

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Srushti-sharneil92kiran_trudecent

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The WiKed Worms!Open Book Discussion-CH2 updt@p1 (Page 3)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sharneil92

Originally posted by angelirebelli

I like Mr and Mrs Bennet's conversation for two very important reasons:

1. Their conversation shows what kind of personalities they have, with Mr Bennet "having to dumb himself down" and still not being able to match with Mrs Bennet's brain frequency, is just hilarious! - you know this is funny coz I think he makes his point with his sarcasm and Mrs. B thinks he is humoring her.. so its a win- win for both...Wink

HAHAHA!! that's right! kind of like my parents! when my dad genuinely compliments my mum she goes all nutcase on him, screaming at him and telling him he's so mean and all for being so rude! LOL

hilarious to watch i tell! 

sigh. i wish i was Elizabeth. Day Dreaming then i'd get my darcy too! Day Dreaming

Darcy !! Day Dreaming Darcy !!Day Dreaming Jane Austen is guilty of creating a character such as his, raising the expectations of many a girl..and yet we forgive her for giving us something to think about..dream about..and maybe look about Embarrassed

sharneil92

IF-Dazzler

sharneil92

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged

1. Their conversation shows what kind of personalities they have, with Mr Bennet "having to dumb himself down" and still not being able to match with Mrs Bennet's brain frequency, is just hilarious! - you know this is funny coz I think he makes his point with his sarcasm and Mrs. B thinks he is humoring her.. so its a win- win for both...Wink

HAHAHA!! that's right! kind of like my parents! when my dad genuinely compliments my mum she goes all nutcase on him, screaming at him and telling him he's so mean and all for being so rude! LOL

sigh. i wish i was Elizabeth. Day Dreaming then i'd get my darcy too! Day Dreaming

Darcy !! Day Dreaming Darcy !!Day Dreaming Jane Austen is guilty of creating a character such as his, raising the expectations of many a girl..and yet we forgive her for giving us something to think about..dream about..and maybe look about Embarrassed

tell me about it! everyday, i sit in front of my 30 million gods and make them all promise that i get someone like Darcy! LOL or else i wont marry! Embarrassed

-Srushti-angelirebellikiran_trudecent

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged

tell me about it! everyday, i sit in front of my 30 million gods and make them all promise that i get someone like DarcyLOL or else i wont marry! Embarrassed

LOL

Edited by angelirebelli - 26 December 2011 at 8:11am

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Hey there Naz Smile

Originally posted by mademoiselle927

Hey Shaz!

Originally posted by mademoiselle927

Oh! I love Pride and Prejudice! And I always imagine Colin Firth as Mr.Darcy. (I know, that is a little bit of irrelevant information).

Colin Firth is the only Darcy we can have... I have seen most (Eng) adaptions  and no one comes close... He was just awesome... *drools*Wink
I know, the BBC one's the best! But I like to think of Keira Knightely as Lizzie! Tongue

** Gosh, at the risk of deviating from the topic, I just loved Jennifer Ehle as Lizzie.. their (the BBCs) casting was simply superb.. Somehow the movie  didn't  do it for me.. it was lacking character.. .I was very disappointed in it.. Unhappy But I loved Rosamund Pike as Jane Smile

"You and the girls may go, or you may send them by themselves, which perhaps will be still better; for, as you are as handsome as any of them, Mr. Bingley might like you the best of the party.''

I absolutely love Mr.Bennet's sense of humour and his witty callous replies to Mrs.Bennet. - The funny part is she doesn't realize that he is mocking and is of the opinion that he is humoring her...
Yes! She's almost oblivious to the true nature of things.

Jane Austen gives a slight insight into few of the characters of the play through the conversation, as pointed out by Shalu, which is pretty unique too!

I'll b back when I read more!

And isn't reading one chapter at a time too short, let's do like 5! Just a suggestion. Tongue - Maybe we should do like 2 or 3 chapters at a time coz its difficult to stop reading Embarrassed and also coz the chapters aren't that long. (Pl don't kill me me sayng this Smile)

Yeah, I guess so, Shalu would kill me otherwise!

Thumbs Up

Edited by angelirebelli - 26 December 2011 at 9:20am

sharneil92

IF-Dazzler

sharneil92

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged
I prefer Mathew MacFadyen as Darcy. Colin Firth is not so drool-worthy as him! Day Dreaming

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Yash141-Srushti-angelirebelliminizzkiran_trudecent

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 27 December 2011 at 3:22am | IP Logged

I prefer Mathew MacFadyen as Darcy. Colin Firth is not so drool-worthy as him! Day Dreaming

I agree Colin Firth being peculiar n hasn't got the looks but Mathew Macfayden ended up looking more confused than arrogant as Darcy !! 

P.S. - please don't take it any other way, in my defense, I am a huge PnP 1995 fan... Embarrassed

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Srushti-sharneil92minizzkiran_trudecent

-Srushti-

Viewbie

-Srushti-

Posted: 27 December 2011 at 5:14am | IP Logged

I agree Colin Firth being peculiar n hasn't got the looks but Mathew Macfayden ended up looking more confused than arrogant as Darcy !! 

P.S. - please don't take it any other way, in my defense, I am a huge PnP 1995 fan... Embarrassed

Angel...even I agree with you...Even though I know my PFC (Shalu) will have my hide for thisLOL...But Matt's character was very much washdown...And even Keira was shown as if she laughed unduly moreLOL...Lizzy was too intelligent and a bit dignified to laugh at every instanceLOL...the only Part i love more in the 2005 version is the last part..with some awesome cinematography...I love the modified dialogues which oozed chemistry 'I am bewitched Body and SoulEmbarrassed'...more livelier than the 1995 version..which was a bit tame??? otherwise Colin was AWESOME and PERFECT as Darcy as anone can be...I ahve all the 6 parts downloaded on my PC..and they play time to timeEmbarrassed

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebellisharneil92minizzkiran_trudecent

Post Reply New Post

Go to top