Book Talk
Book Talk

India-Forums

The WiKed Worms!Open Book Discussion-CH2 updt@p1 (Page 2)

sharneil92 IF-Dazzler
sharneil92
sharneil92

Posted: 25 December 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Srushti-

So finally editing the reserveLOL

So I will admit that the character of Mrs. Benett added flavour to the story, her imbecile remarks and her husband's constant retorts which obviously went above her head, were unique!
i love their bickering scenes! ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY HILARIOUS!LOL

And the way they show the preferences amongst their daughters is unique, too.
Jane was one thing they might agree upon, such was her disposition, beautiful, calm, sweet, to some extent gullible too, and the way she held herself was dignified too...I guess her father could not have had any objection her not being not as intelligent as Lizzy, where as her mother obviously saw her as the ticket to a better life and opener of the gates for good alliances for her other daughters...She was her trump card..

the two major characters of Austen, the eldest daughters of the Bennets, are stark opposite, and loved by their starkly opposite parents, but in the end they find the same happiness in the form of love that they always dreamt of, was because they did not stop being themselves just so they could please their parents. Kitty followed Lydia, and Lydia did things to please her mother; it shows how badly things resulted for them, most especially, Lydia. 

Another thing which we are likely to hear all through the series is 'My poor nerves'...You would sometimes like to bang a pan on her head for her insensitivity and callousness towards her family...and sometimes you wonder if she became this way because of the inability of Mr. Bennett to love her for the vain woman she is...
nah. this was her way to catch Mr Bennet's attentions, I believe. And only Lizzy and Mr Bennet, ignored her when she said that. Mr Bennet became careless in his parenting because of this woman. His life became monotonous after he married this incorrigible woman, and later he just derived amusement from her and his other "silly girls".
But ofcourse Mr. Bennett's obvious partiality towards Elizabeth makes us love him...and his mild attempts at bringing humour with his wit ( which he is extremely proud of ) actually make us like him...
His statement that 'When there are 20 of them, I will visit each of them' ...does give an impression of a  bit of careless man ...but you know that he is not dumb when he subtly remarks about Mrs. Benett's nerve...saying that they have been his best friends all these years...
hahaha! "constant companion" also shows how terribly annoying they were! LOL
Anways...this is enough of a ramble...Do put in your take on this first intro chappieEmbarrassed

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Srushti-minizzkiran_trudecentmanzilmukul

sharneil92 IF-Dazzler
sharneil92
sharneil92

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged
@Naz aka mademoiselle927: (gosh i had to scroll up 4 times to get ur username right! LOL)

anyways, LOVED UR REVIEW! :D 

agreed with most and i bow down to thee for a new revelation, MR BENNET DOES INDEED KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO FLATTER AS WELL AS SUBTLY INSULT MRS BENNET! haha! i guess, that's why he's so awesome. ROFL

and for the suggestion, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?????? I HAVE SO MUCH TO UPDATE, AND SO MUCH TO READ!!! LOL

@the others: MEET MY FRIEND FROM THE IPK FORUM, NAZREEN OR NAZ! she's chill btw! Tongue

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Srushti-minizzkiran_trudecent

sharneil92 IF-Dazzler
sharneil92
sharneil92

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 5:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angelirebelli

Res.

** Edited

The first sentence is an absolute classic. I cannot think of anyone who has started a book better.

agreed. Embarrassed she's a genius in terms of having all the elements of her book wrapped up neatly and concisely in her first sentence, the wit, the sarcasm, the humour, the issue at hand (marrying off girls i.e.), everything! Embarrassed

Mr.Bennets wit, sarcasm, his sharp sense of repartee and the fact that he considers his wife vain and has given up on her comes out so effortlessly. He considers her a lesser mortal and himself a man of the books and higher being. He also acknowledges the fact that Elizabeth is favored child because of the "quickness of her mind", and openly labels the other girls silly, in a way acknowledging the fact that they(Mrs. n Mr. B) may have failed them in their duties and didn't mind continuing to do so. 

couldn't agree more there! i think he gave up trying to knock some sense into his hare-brained wife and ended up drawing amusement from them! LOL since, that's what he's best at!

Final Comments - All in all, couldn't ask for better introduction to the Bennets. Jane Austen's unique style captures the essence of the society - its norms and conformity, mid level household in that era - the aim of women to land a husband of means by all means possible including plotting and scheming families, mothers helping them and leaving no stone unturned et al. It also, sadly, depicts the sorry state of many marriages which prevailed during those times

yes, not everyone was happily married back then because they got married for the sake of it and not because they wanted to from their hearts! well pointed out! Embarrassed

-Srushti-angelirebellikiran_trudecentminizz

angelirebelli IF-Dazzler
angelirebelli
angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mademoiselle927

Oh! I love Pride and Prejudice! And I always imagine Colin Firth as Mr.Darcy. (I know, that is a little bit of irrelevant information).

Colin Firth is the only Darcy we can have... I have seen most (Eng) adaptions  and no one comes close... He was just awesome... *drools*Wink

Also, the reviews here are really amazing!

Here's my comment on the first chapter of one of my favorite books!

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is the epitome of romance for me. Set in 18th century England, I think, it still bears some resemblance to present day India.

Austen's satirical description of the English society, has been wittily portrayed through the conversation between Mr. and Mrs.Bennet. Mrs.Bennet has been depicted as almost a shallow woman, materialistic to some measure, wh wants to get her daughters maried off to rich guys, but that may also be because  their estate would go to Mr.Collins. Mrs.Bennet is a mere depiction of the woman, and their woes at that time. She's one of the best characters of her type. 

It is also amazing, how Jane Austen has portrayed Mr.Bennet, as the intellect, who recognizes the smartes amongst his daughters, Lizzie and is aware how the other daughters are almost a carbon copy of their mother.  He knows what would keep Mrs.Bennet happy, and flatters her with an ironical comment, which I find really funny!

"You and the girls may go, or you may send them by themselves, which perhaps will be still better; for, as you are as handsome as any of them, Mr. Bingley might like you the best of the party.''

I absolutely love Mr.Bennet's sense of humour and his witty callous replies to Mrs.Bennet. - The funny part is she doesn't realize that he is mocking and is of the opinion that he is humoring her...

Jane Austen gives a slight insight into few of the characters of the play through the conversation, as pointed out by Shalu, which is pretty unique too!

I'll b back when I read more!

And isn't reading one chapter at a time too short, let's do like 5! Just a suggestion. Tongue - Maybe we should do like 2 or 3 chapters at a time coz its difficult to stop reading Embarrassed and also coz the chapters aren't that long. (Pl don't kill me me sayng this Smile)

Edited by angelirebelli - 26 December 2011 at 7:49am

-Srushti-sharneil92minizzkiran_trudecent

angelirebelli IF-Dazzler
angelirebelli
angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sharneil92

The moment you turn the page to reach the first chapter, and read the first sentence, the first thought that comes to your mind would be, "WHAT A WAY TO BEGIN!" No wonder that sentence is famous all over the world, and has been twisted and repeated umpteen times by various novelists (not that any of those versions make as huge an impact as Jane Austen did), but it never gets too cliched or boring. That's the magic of Jane Austen. - Very well said... couldn't agree more...Clap

The first sentence itself reveals Jane Austen's sense of humour, wit, intelligence to spot something so obvious but not so obvious at the same time, and of course the ocean of never-ending sarcasm directed at the English Society at large, and then you come to the conclusion that she is a gem to be treasured forever. - You bet

Her way of writing is more of "telling" kind rather than the "showing" kind which makes it a bit monotonous for those who do not enjoy fun and humourous writings, but her way of "telling" the story captures your attention from the very beginning. Trust me, it's her wit. 

Language. Do I really need to say? It's impeccable, and also you get a glance at the English Society back in 1800s, which was so "refined", "proper", and "everything good".

I like Mr and Mrs Bennet's conversation for two very important reasons:

1. Their conversation shows what kind of personalities they have, with Mr Bennet "having to dumb himself down" and still not being able to match with Mrs Bennet's brain frequency, is just hilarious! - you know this is funny coz I think he makes his point with his sarcasm and Mrs. B thinks he is humoring her.. so its a win- win for both...Wink

2. Jane Austen introduces almost every major character in the book in the cleverest manner possible, A CONVERSATION! This wasn't even obvious to you guys, was it? I mean you just overlooked it, right? I did too, and I did not capture this detail until this time when I actually sat down to review it. Of course she did not introduce the ever so hot and dashing Mr Darcy, but he did need an introduction that deserved fireworks, didn't he? After all he's our MAJOR character. And also you can sense how Jane Austen clearly refers to Lizzy as her major character since the conversation showed at least 2 sentences dedicated to Lizzy, while the others were granted barely a proper phrase.

All in all, it was quite neat the way she introduced all the characters that were required for a "roll call" at the beginning of the novel, and then dedicated the last paragraph to introduce the Bennet heads of the family. 

-Srushti-sharneil92minizzkiran_trudecent

sharneil92 IF-Dazzler
sharneil92
sharneil92

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:18am | IP Logged

Was it so evident, that I was trying to kill you? *Mwahahaha* (evil laugh) ROFL

And it's so difficult to stop at one chapter, and plus, that would make the discussion really slow too!  Ermm
But, I guess, whatever suits everyone, that'll be okay with me. Smile

And Bojour everyone! 

hawww!! meanieee!!! Ouch LOL

okay. 2 CHAPPIES! AT THE MOST! LOL

agreed with angelirebelli. Embarrassed sorry,may i know ur name! *looks sheepish*

i'm SHALINI! Big smile you can call me shalu though! if you love too much! Embarrassed 
or if you're too lazy to type out the two excess letters. Ermm

-Srushti-minizzkiran_trudecent

sharneil92 IF-Dazzler
sharneil92
sharneil92

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angelirebelli

I like Mr and Mrs Bennet's conversation for two very important reasons:

1. Their conversation shows what kind of personalities they have, with Mr Bennet "having to dumb himself down" and still not being able to match with Mrs Bennet's brain frequency, is just hilarious! - you know this is funny coz I think he makes his point with his sarcasm and Mrs. B thinks he is humoring her.. so its a win- win for both...Wink

HAHAHA!! that's right! kind of like my parents! when my dad genuinely compliments my mum she goes all nutcase on him, screaming at him and telling him he's so mean and all for being so rude! LOL

hilarious to watch i tell! 

sigh. i wish i was Elizabeth. Day Dreaming then i'd get my darcy too! Day Dreaming

-Srushti-angelirebellikiran_trudecent

angelirebelli IF-Dazzler
angelirebelli
angelirebelli

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:39am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sharneil92

Was it so evident, that I was trying to kill you? *Mwahahaha* (evil laugh) ROFL

And it's so difficult to stop at one chapter, and plus, that would make the discussion really slow too!  Ermm
But, I guess, whatever suits everyone, that'll be okay with me. Smile

And Bojour everyone! 

hawww!! meanieee!!! Ouch LOL

okay. 2 CHAPPIES! AT THE MOST! LOL

agreed with angelirebelli. Embarrassed sorry,may i know ur name! *looks sheepish*

i'm SHALINI! Big smile you can call me shalu though! if you love too much! Embarrassed 
or if you're too lazy to type out the two excess letters. Ermm

Hey Shalini.. I am Shaz.. Shazahn actually Smile

P.S. - yes 2 chapters sounds good and do-able...Smile

Edited by angelirebelli - 26 December 2011 at 7:39am

-Srushti-sharneil92kiran_trudecent

Go to top