Posted: 05 April 2005 at 5:41am | IP Logged
Jassi's new look leaves fans cold
   By: Ami Cholia
   April 5, 2005

amic@mid-day.com
JASSI JAISSI KOI NAHIN: Even her
new avatar is no competition to the
original plain Jane Jassi
It's been a few weeks since a magic wand transformed Jassi from an ugly ducking to television's reigning beauty queen. But the makeover that has dragged on for weeks was purely done to boost viewership.

Unfortunately, it looks like the show has left most viewers lost and grappling for more. Most don't seem to be able to relate to the new Jassi. In her plain Jane clothes, she represented the common woman.

Now, she's just another pretty face on the silver screen. We ask some viewers what they think about the new look…

amic@mid-day.com

Dr Manisha Pagriya, Doctor

I liked the original Jassi. The show focused on her intelligence and not frivolous factors like her look. Now the show has become like every other serial on TV. Earlier, it had substance, which is why people tuned in, now it's just all about her glamourous look.

Old look

Vandana Sethi, Advertising professional
It's very dramatic and unreal. She had nothing and suddenly has everything — which makes it very unbelievable. Earlier people could identify with the character, now she seems too unreal.

Old look

Smruti Patil, Housewife

I don't like either of the Jassi looks. But the old show was more interesting. We hoped that the show would focus on her excelling in her work or something, now they've changed the focus to something really frivolous like her love life and looks.

Old look

Haresh Parmar, Interior decorator

I like the new Jassi. She looks more modern in this new avtaar and I enjoy watching it more.

New look
Dhwani Shroff, Student

I preferred the old Jassi look. The show started losing focus with the love story between Jassi and Armaan. The serial is going to end in a bad manner. They started portraying Jassi as a fool — someone incapable of seeing people for what they really are.

Old look

Smita Patil, Social Worker

I like the new Jassi. Everyone and everything changes in life. These new changes are refreshing. They bring in a new perspective.

New look
Meena Parmar, Tutor

Sure, the new Jassi is beautiful, but we can't relate to the new character. Earlier she was really nice, and would forgive everyone around her. Now she is full of revenge. Even though she was ugly earlier we had learnt to like her. On the other hand, change is a necessary evil.

Old look
Suchitra Sachdev, Housewife
I like the new Jassi. She looks a lot more normal now. The earlier Jassi looked stupid. Even though her looks have changed, she hasn't. People will eventually be able to relate to the new Jassi too.

New look
Ansari Md Asif, Advertising Executive

The old Jassi was funny. People watched it because they could relate to her. Now, that she's bold and beautiful, it seems a little fake. Earlier, she would stress on her intelligence, sense of humour and smartness to get ahead.

Old look

-misha IF-Sizzlerz
-misha
-misha

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 6:58am | IP Logged
thanx for the article
ms-tabu Goldie
ms-tabu
ms-tabu

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 7:14am | IP Logged

hope tand D realise this,and start doing something sensible

tablet

alveera Goldie
alveera
alveera

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 7:26am | IP Logged
thanx for the article
lashy IF-Stunnerz
lashy
lashy

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 7:28am | IP Logged
omg....this is really sad....i agree with most of their views as well...just hope the popularity of the serial doesnt fall even more....the picture in her saree looks demeaning......a girl who took a week to allow her hair to be cut - this black saree avataar doesnt suit her one bit - in the original BLF, betty is as lovable before the makeover as she is after....but here the whole emphasis seems to be twisted!!!!!!
FreshAir Groupbie
FreshAir
FreshAir

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 8:19am | IP Logged

They overdid it with her makeover. Simple alterations would have been easy to handle. A new haircut, new glasses, maybe a hint of makeup. And some regular salwar kameez instead of the nun-ish covered head-to-toe stuff. That would be simple.

All this colored contacts, constant styled hair, glittery clothes, platform heels, sparkly purses... and its quite apparent that Jassi or Jessica is not comfortable in sarees as she looks like she feels uncomfortable and awkward in them. I dunno why Indian TV and Movies love the whole Devi persona... and go overboard decking them out.

Compared to the new Jassi, Mallika looks normal and dressed down. She wored gorgeous sarees, but it was befitting for the executive of a fashion powerhouse.

Jassi's abrupt climb from middle class normality to supermodel celebrity is kinda awkward, especially since it took place in a span of 4 weeks.

vivali Groupbie
vivali
vivali

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 9:45am | IP Logged

i liked the old luk better. The new Jassi does luk pretty but something amiss. The old jassi had a special charm about her:her simplicity, her innocence,her full smiles(and not the measured smiles she gives now) her sweetness. She luked herself, not pretentious.

vivali Groupbie
vivali
vivali

Posted: 05 April 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by FreshAir

They overdid it with her makeover. Simple alterations would have been easy to handle. A new haircut, new glasses, maybe a hint of makeup. And some regular salwar kameez instead of the nun-ish covered head-to-toe stuff. That would be simple.

All this colored contacts, constant styled hair, glittery clothes, platform heels, sparkly purses... and its quite apparent that Jassi or Jessica is not comfortable in sarees as she looks like she feels uncomfortable and awkward in them. I dunno why Indian TV and Movies love the whole Devi persona... and go overboard decking them out.

Compared to the new Jassi, Mallika looks normal and dressed down. She wored gorgeous sarees, but it was befitting for the executive of a fashion powerhouse.

Jassi's abrupt climb from middle class normality to supermodel celebrity is kinda awkward, especially since it took place in a span of 4 weeks.

so true! Agree with u!

Go to top