Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

Mythologicals slug it out with soaps on prime time band

Ano Patel, TNN Jun 5, 2013, 12.00AM IST

Popular perception: if it's a mythological or a historical show, then it would be relegated to a weekend morning band so that families could watch it together.

In the 80s, Ramayan and Mahabharat's epic success story made showmakers assume that Sunday mornings were tailormade for maximum viewership. But the picture's slowly changing now. After Dwarkadheesh: Bhagwan Shree Krishn,Chandragupta Maurya which opened to decent TRPs (after airing on weekdays), followed by the unexpected success of Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, (which has been airing in the 8 pm slot for over a year and has given strong competition to daily soaps like Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? and Balika Vadhu) big ticket period shows are now making a splash in the prime time band on weekdays.

General entertainment channels (GECs) are pulling out all stops to woo an audience used to their daily dose of melodrama and tearjerkers by getting big stars clad in elaborate costumes, flaunting jewellery worth lakhs in extravagant sets in mythological/historicals on a weekday band so that they can create enough buzz and bring in the eyeballs. For a mythological/historical to enter into a slugfest with a daily soap is no mean task, but it seems the channel heads and producers are open to taking a risk.

Says producer Nikhil Sinha says, "The story of Shiv's life gets a contemporary touch and is enabling youngsters to connect to our show. Proper casting, good production values and authentic story telling are important to make a good mythological show." While Bharat Ka Veer Putra Maharana Pratap has recently replaced a daily soap, two more mythological and historicals - Mahabharat and Jodha Akbar - are slated to air in the prime time slot on two leading GECs in the next few weeks. Neerusha, costume designer of Maharana Pratap, who has also been the costume designer for Devon..., Jhansi Ki Rani, Veer Shivaji, etc., says, "Maharana Pratap is a very sensitive subject and as it's meant for today's audience and is adaily show, everything has to be perfect." Producer Siddharth Kumar Tewary who's makingMahabharat, says, "In an era of channel wars it's no coincidence that a number of shows in this genre are being launched simultaneously at prime time bands."

So will the mythologicals/historicals rake in the desired eyeballs and be the game changers in the TRP race? That's a question that the report cards will eventually reveal.

Telly hotties in mytho mode

After pouring his heart out on television in Splitsvilla, dimpled dude Vishal Karwal became a household name overnight when he stepped in as Lord Krishna in Dwaarkadheesh - Bhagwan Shree Krishn. He eventually went on to play the lead in two daily soaps, made an appearance in Bigg Boss 6 and is currently readying for his big screen debut.

From doing cameos in his previous shows, to becoming the nation's favourite tellygod, Mohit Raina seems to have scaled a new high thanks to his current outing as Lord Shiva in Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev. His fab abs, groovy smile and acting chops seem to have made him an instant fave.

At 17, Rajat Tokas catapulted to small screen stardom as the child star in Bharat Ka Veer Yodha Prithviraj Chauhan in 2006. The show earned him a huge fanbase, a number of fan websites and a string of daily soaps. Now Rajat's landed himself the coveted role of Akbar in Ekta Kapoor's Jodha Akbar.

After playing a goodnatured college boy in the lighthearted daily soap, Navya, Shaheer Sheikh took a year's break (even refusing lucrative offers to do big daily soaps) simply to get set to play the challenging role of Arjun in the much talked about show, Mahabharat about to take off in a few weeks' time.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-06-05/tv/39741293_1_mahabharat-maharana-pratap-devon-ke-dev-mahadev

A-A-S thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Ojaswi Oberoi & Raj Singh in Crime Patrol
Tejashree Bhopatkar, TNN | Jun 7, 2013, 01.45 PM IST

Ojaswi Oberoi & Raj Singh in Crime Patrol

Crime Patrol-Dastak on Sony Entertainment Television leaves no stone unturned to make their episodes realistic and enthralling with their superb projection. The maker also tries to add known names in the episodes so that audiences would become more relatable.

Interestingly, the upcoming episodes would focus on a crime story which took place in Gujarat. The story is all about a one sided love affair which leads to some mishap. Accordingly to do justice to the characters, Raj Singh and Beautiful Ojaswi Oberoi have been roped in. 

Raj Singh was last seen in Pyaar Ka Dard Hai Meetha Meetha Pyaara Pyaara and Ojaswi Oberoi, last seen in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev. [as Mohini]

When contacted, Ojaswi confirmed, "Yes, I am doing Crime Patrol but I can't divulge any details."
 While Raj Singh remained unavailable. 

The actors have started shooting for the show and will telecast soon. 
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

TV child actors spend summer vacations on sets
Sadhil Kapoor
Summer holdiays mean fun and games, joyrides, exciting trips. But for these Tellyboppers, it is just shooting, home and back on the sets. In a bid to fulfil their reel dreams, they are losing out on real vacations.

As the angry sun breathes fire, turning classrooms into an inferno, text books are stacked aside and comics thrust open. Wish summer vacations were a little longer! Children, the world over, wait for their days in the sun when Superman would spell super-fun and Batman, with a flap of his wings, launch a flight of fancy. But that's for the school-going regulars. Our telly tubbies, however, have a different tale to tell. Sucked into the reel world and working round the clock, vacation for them is essentially all work and no play. Popularity, they say, comes for a price.

Go, Goa, Gone
Thirteen-year-old Mahima Makwana aka Rachna in Sapne Suhane Ladakpan Ke made a trip to Goa for two days, recently. And thejourney, she says, is "unforgettable". "I shoot every day, and this was my first break in one and a half years. I had asked for a four-day off, but got only two. Now, I want to go there at least once every year. At times, when friends show me pictures of their trips, I feel left out, but what to do, work is more important."

Sadhil Kapoor, eight, who plays Ganesha in the TRP grabbing Devon Ke Dev... Mahadev, goes to malls and plays with friends after shoots, but misses the ghumna phirna. He says, "Mann to karta hai ki Goa jaoon, since I like the sea, but there's nothing I can do." His father, Kunal, says, "We took him out on a holiday in November before the show started, but abhi iska track chal raha hai, so there are no plans of a vacation as of now. Once his school reopens, there will be lesser scope."

Mr jealousy
There's no hiding jealousy when their friends are traversing the world while the child actors are busy 'building their careers'. Aanchal Munjal, 16, Raavi in Parrvarish — Kuchh Khattee KuchhMeethi, says she yearns for a break, but it doesn't come easy. "Whenever I get two-three days off, I leave for a weekend getaway. This vacation, my friends have taken off to every part of the world; posting pictures from there. I sometimes message them saying, 'I am jealous'. What else can I do?"

Aashika Bhatia, 14, who plays Ginny in the same serial and has been acting since nine, says despite all the razzmatazz, she does feel lonely when her friends are having a fun time, while she has to report to work. "I have a lot of fun shooting, but I don't get time to go on vacations. Sometimes I feel lonely. There are plans that I make with my friends, but they never work out. I can't remember when was the last time I saw a movie." Bhavya Gandhi aka Tappu in Taarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chasmah has been shooting non-stop for eight years. "But I have no complaints. I got to visit so many countries while shooting, it would never have been the same otherwise."

Home alone
Their vacations ruled out, many are left having a fun time at home. Their happiness comes with the acceptance that reel is real. Shivansh Kotia, eight, who plays Naksh in Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, says, "My school will open on June 10. I couldn't go anywhere since I was busy shooting. I would divide my time between home and sets. At times, there would be an occasional trip to a mall. But there are other kids in the serial, including my sister. I take along my toy cars and other playthings and enjoy a good time with my co-stars."

For his 13-year-old sister, Navika, who plays Chikki in the same serial, summer vacation means either a trip to her dadi's place in Mumbai or her nani's house in Ajmer. But she has had a working holiday this time around. "It's been a year that I haven't met my cousins. Hope I get to meet them during Christmas. Thank God, my brother is there for company."

Leave alone a vacation, going to school too has been a challenge for those sucked into the whirlpool of name and fame. Seven-year-old Raj Bhanusali, who has just finished his stint as Bal Hanuman in Jai Jai Jai Bajrangbali would yearn for school, but would be going there for the first time in two years. His mother, Savi, explains, "Since he played the lead, he was plying between Mumbai, our home, and the shooting site in Baroda. At times, he would throw tantrums and plead with us to take him elsewhere. Back in Mumbai, he would yearn to be on the sets. Balancing both the worlds isn't easy for him. We had special tutors coming to the sets to teach him. He would just appear for his annual exams in school. We even asked the production house to reduce his dates, but they couldn't, considering that he was the lead. At last they decided to take a leap and he was replaced. However, one good part about shooting was that he learnt a lot of things, mythology being one of them."

Starry heights
Stories abound on how child stars have grown up to be spoilt brats. Balancing academics and acting is no mean feat and add to that the responsibilities that rest on their tender shoulders. Many have, in fact, grown up complaining about a missed childhood. "Having a grip on priorities is the key in such cases. The demands on a child star is akin to the pressure on a working adult. The real question is, at such a tender age, are these children really ready for it?" asks Michelle Manuel, clinical psychologist and facilitator.

So, what's the way out? Sarita, mother of Sparsh Khanchandani aka Raashi in Parrvarish — Kuchh Khattee Kuchh Meethi, says what's important is to give the child a normal life. "I make sure Sparsh does everything that a normal child does. She does take her vacation, but we plan it well in advance, so that the production house doesn't face problems. Recently, she went for a scout and guide camp. My husband and I ensure that she doesn't lose out on small pleasures in life because there are certain things money can't buy. I am responsible and answerable to her once she grows up." Sarita says after this year, Sparsh would be concentrating on her studies. "She won't be working at least till her graduation. After that, it will be her choice if she wants to take up acting or anything else," she says.

Shilpa — mother of popular child artiste Swini Khara, currently on a break from acting because of her Class X board exams — says her feat as an actress instilled in her a sense of achievement. "She used to enjoy that phase (of acting) and is enjoying this too. I don't think she missed out on anything. Right now, she is happy with her dance classes and is taking part in various festivals in peace. During her acting days, she got to visit many countries and also won quite a few awards. This gave her immense confidence." Madhusree Ghosh

Unlike other kids who have just returned refreshed from a much-needed break, it was all work and no play for chhotto stars of Bengali TV, Asmee, Soham, Bittu, Tithi and Moumi. For these child actors, who keep us engaged all throughout the year with their heart-warming performances on TV, summer vacations is not the time they can spend watching cartoons or go trekking with friends.

Seven-year-old Moumi aka Ichchhe of the popular serial Bodhu Kon Alo Laglo Chokhe, is a student of Mahadevi Birla School. Since she plays an important character in the serial, the little girl had to be on the sets day and night. When quizzed about her holidays, Moumi says, "I really wanted to enjoy summer vacations like my friends. But I couldn't go anywhere. Sometimes the shooting continues till wee hours. Khub khatni hoy. All my friends have gone out of station. Once I had gone to Gangtok with my family. But that was long ago. I wish I could go somewhere this time around, but I didn't get time."

Does she pursue acting against her wishes and does she miss all the fun things that other kids do? Moumi promptly denied, says, "I enjoy acting immensely."

Even for eight-year-old Asmee, who plays the eponymous Sati in the serial, life is all about getting dolled up as a goddess and delivering lines. Talking about her summer holidays, the young actress recounts one such weekend off, when she had gone to Digha with her family. However, Asmee, who has also worked in the show, Duorani, and has acted alongside Prosenjit Chatterjee in the film, Bikram Singha, seems quite happy with the present arrangement.

"I have the lead role in Sati. I know I have to work very hard. Every week, I get a day off. And then, I spend the entire day drawing or playing computer games. I also like spending time with my baby sister," she smiles.

Ever since Tithi started playing Jhilik in Maa, holidays have become a distant dream. A student of Class VIII in GD Birla Centre of Education, Tithi gets a break from going on the sets, only when there's a sudden twist in the tale. "Last year, due to some developments in the plot, I got a break for a few days. At that time, we all went to Puri, Digha and Meghalaya. But, this year I had a packed schedule. And whenever I get a break from acting, I study. I get an off on the second Sunday of every month, as per the industry norm," she shares, adding, "Right now, I'm in Darjeeling shooting for Maa. I've been associated with the show for four years now. So, the cast and crew members have almost become family. Still, we are all here to work and it's certainly not a vacation."

And Tithi is not alone when it comes to balancing studies and work. Srimoy, the cuddly little Bittu from Dance Bangla Dance, has to travel from Howrah to Rajarhat every day to be on the sets. And it's been more than a year since this 10-year-old, self-proclaimed computer-addict got a holiday. "Now, where's the time? Porashona toh korte hoy. Besides, none of my friends stays in the neighbourhood. Even if they did, I couldn't have played with them as all of them have gone on a vacation. So, as and when I get a break, I play games on my computer."

Since sets have almost turned into their virtual homes, like Bittu, the eight-year-old Soham too has found his solace in yet another virtual world — that of computers. Soon after his stint in Aparajito got over, Soham found himself playing Piku in Ashar Alo. In between, the boy could only manage to visit Digha once with his family for a few days. "Sometimes I have to shoot from six in the morning and it continues till midnight. After that I get so exhausted that nothing interests me. If I get some time off, I play on my computer or visit my mamabari," says the.

Are the parents listening?

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

When 'God' Mahadev wished to be a kid and enjoy...

Mohit Raina of Life Ok's Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev wished to be kid again to come and enjoy at the launch of 'Play around', a play activity centre.

Saturday, June 08, 2013 | 2:24:41 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |  Copyright: India-Forums.com / TellyBuzz  |   2 Comments  |  90 Views

Mohit Raina, who plays God Mahadev in Nikhil Sinha's Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev was seen in a different mood yesterday at the launch of Suhana Sinha and actor-singer Amit Tandon's new venture 'Play around.'

Along with many television stars, Mohit too was present there at the launch of this new venture too. He was seen enjoying the moment and he wished the best to Nikhil, Suhana and Amit for their new venture.

TellyBuzz spoke to Mohit at the event to know his views regarding the kids' play arena. Mohit said, "It's a very nice and a spacious place for the kids to enjoy. I wish I was a kid, then even I could come here to enjoy (smiles). They have worked very hard towards this and I wish them all the very best." 

Anwesha Kamal

Edited by deboleena.manna - 10 years ago
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Simply Divine!

next

For some strange reason, the shrines of Lord Shiva always end up being in some faraway place; you have to hike and trek and go through some level of hardship before you can reach Him. Even if He is known as Bhola - gullible - He makes sure you earn your due!

Meeting the hunk of Indian television, who is currently making headlines with his role as the hot-God Mahadev, was a little like that.

Firstly, trying to meet an actor who shoots from nine in the morning till nine in the night, because he has not one but three roles to play, is in itself a mountainous, if not impossible task. So I decided to catch Mohit Raina on the shooting floor; surely he would have a small part of an hour to spare.

Secondly, just like the numerous abodes of the powerful deity he plays, the sets are located away from the city in some far-flung place, where the usual means of public transport don't venture. Hitchhiking and squeezing into share-a-ricks, those big ones that you only find in rural areas, I reached the location, flanked by low hills. The dry, dusty and unpopulated place seemed the perfect setting for a mythological show.

As he stood up to greet me in his vanity, I realised why Mohit is so popular – tall, dark and handsome, clichd, but it sure sums him up. He has a deep enticing voice, but he is a soft-spoken guy, not something that you would expect from one who plays an easily angered God. As the interview progressed I realised how simply human he is.

My first question is the most obvious… how does it feel to play God?

"I've got used to it now," he says instantly, like he was already expecting it. "Personally, I don't feel anything like God. I'm just the same. I'm a normal human being. But people are forcing me into it, and I guess then for their happiness I'm willing to continue portraying myself as a God. But when I meet people I realise how much faith they have in me. They will say, 'Can we just see you for like, two seconds?' They say I make their day. That feels nice."

The Indian entertainment industry has always been ruled by, or been partial to Lord Vishnu and his incarnations or Lord Ganesha and his tactics. Suddenly the public has a new God to love. Mahadev has always been worshipped as the powerful one, but was never popular on screen. Mohit has sure managed to change that, and across demographics too...

"I personally think that Shiva is the Supreme Creator. His calendar image is found in most Indian households. But I guess it was never showcased on such a scale; more importantly, his personal life was never showcased. People really wanted to know more about that - about how a God would live, what are His needs, His wants, and how He is personally – not just His equation with His devotees. Like no one knew that He even had a daughter, or the basic reason why He chopped off Ganesha's head. All these minute details are getting people really interested.

"Also, right now this is the phase where Shiva is not exactly treated as a God. For the young generation He is hot, kind of sexy; that image of a typical God has changed a little bit. This is a generation that won't really go to a Shiv temple on Mondays but they will have a Shiva tattoo and sport rudraaksh beads. It's that phase where people are really relating to Him in their own way, which is not necessarily religious. It's all also related to the Shiva Trilogy books, and the series."

Read more in the June 2013 issue of Cine Blitz - India's most loved hindi film magazine.

Click to subscribe to the Print Edition and Digital Edition

This article first appeared in June 2013 issue of Cine Blitz magazine

http://cineblitz.liveinstyle.com/telly-talk/detail/simply-divine
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Mihir Misra to play King Dasrath in Mahadev

Neha Maheshwri, TNN | Jun 12, 2013, 03.06 PM IST

The latest name to join the popular mythological show, Devon Ka Dev Mahadev, produced byNikhil Sinha, is actor Mihir Misra

He will essay the role of Raja Dasrath once the Ramayan track commences in the show. Mihir, who was last seen in Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai, is fond of Mahadev and follows it.

Coincidentally, his wife Manini Misra too was a part of the show. She played princess Vijaya in it. Always seen playing a doctor in most of his shows, the mythological show is a welcome change for him. He is yet to start shooting for the show.

Mihir confirms, "Yes, I would be seen in a mythology show for the first time."

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Mahadev To Take The Form Of "Shivling" So That Ravan Can Take Him To Lanka In Mahadev.

In Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, Yesterday We Had Seen That Heeding Nandi's advice, Dashanan apologises to Mahadev. Mahadev forgives him. Dashanan becomes happy on seeing Mahadev and Parvati in front of him.    Mahadev enlightens him about a true devotee. He becomes impressed by his devotion towards him, and blesses him to be known as Ravana. Mahadev gives him a weapon, Chandrahas, and advises him not to misuse it. Lord Vishnu enlightens Devi Laxmi on Mahadev's journey to Kashi.

Now More Interesting Track Coming In This Week, As Mahadev & Mata Parvati Are In Kashi Where  Gajasur will attack the 'rishis' &  Mahadev Will  save them from Gajasur. Futhur Most If Sources Are To Be Believe , Ravan wants Mahadev to come instead of accepting the 'shivling' given to him.Mahadev  will agree to go with Ravan to Lanka. Mahadev  will take the form of a 'shivling' so that Ravan can take him to Lanka.But That "Shivling" Is Not Going To Reach Lanka Our Source Confirmed.

For more such interesting news keep reading Telly News India.

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

I always wanted to play Ram: Piyush Sahdev

Vijaya Tiwari, TNN | Jun 13, 2013, 12.00 AM IST

Buzz about the introduction of Ramayan track in Life OK's Devon Ke Dev Mahadev has been doing the rounds for quite some time now. 

And the latest we hear is that TV heartthrobPiyush Sahdev of Hum Ne Li Hai Shapath fame has been finalized to play Lord Ram.

Sources inform that Piyush who currently plays the role of Abhimanyu has been cast to play the role of Lord Ram in the upcoming Ramayan track of Devon Ke Dev.. Mahadev. The actor will soon exit from his current show Shapath to don the role of Ram. Piyush will start shooting for the show from end of July 2013.

When contacted, Piyush said, "Yes, It's true I am doing the show and I am very happy to be a part of a show like Mahadev. From playing a villain to the role of cop, I have done various roles on TV but mythological shows are something I always wanted to do. I am a devotee of Lord Krishna and I was always fascinated to play Ram or Krishna on TV. I am glad that I will be finally doing it."

When asked, about his track in Shapath, the actor says, "Both the projects are on the same channel and the decision has been taken by them. The channel wants me to play Ram in Mahadev and I am just following their instruction."

A-A-S thumbnail

Devon Ke Dev…Mahadev Introduces Ramayan Track

Rumors are abuzz about the introduction of the Ramayan track in Life Ok's Devon Ka Dev Mahadev. Our sources close to the channel inform "Piyush Sahdev who currently plays the role of Abhimanyu in Hum Ne Li Hai Shapath has been cast to play the role of Lord Ram in the upcoming Ramayan track of Devon Ke Dev Mahadev.    The actor will soon exit from his current show Shapath." Both the shows are on the same channel so we are presuming that the sudden exit from one show to be part of the other was a well thought through creative decision.

Another actor who is gearing up to be a part of the successful Devon Ka Dev Mahadev is Mihir Misra, who was last seen in Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai has been roped in to play Raja Dasrath. Interestingly enough, previously, Misra's wife Manini Misra played princess Vijaya on the show.

It is the first time for both the actors to be a part of a mythological show. As it is Devon Ka Dev Mahadev has been a huge boon for the channel and all the people associated with it. Our best wishes to the new entrants!

June 15, 2013

A-A-S thumbnail

"I have learnt a lot from Mohit Raina" - Jiten Lalwani

Jiten Lalwani who hasn't read a single book on mythology is playing Lord Indra in Devon ke Dev.Mahadev and here he shares his experience.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 | 7:12:26 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |  Copyright: India-Forums.com / TellyBuzz  |  

Jiten Lalwani who is seen as Lord Indra in Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev on Life OK has been playing the role since day one. Lord Indra is known as the God of Rain. However, this particular God is said to be powerful and also possess some qualities of a human, so just like in today's time we want power and authority likewise in that era even Lord Indra wanted the same.

Shares Jiten, "I am not shooting these days. If you ask me how my journey has been then I feel it's been the best till date. For the role of Lord Indra, I truly feel blessed as this God is not like the typical Gods. Lord Indira is the God of today's times. By all means he does feel jealous, he is envious at times, he is very competitive and wants power so he is very humanly in nature just like all of us possess. He is the modern day God and a powerful person who wants to win and can't see others growth."

He further went on to say, "While I love playing this role in real I am not like Lord Indra. I am more of a positive person while Lord Indra is very much into greed and power. I can say that I have learnt one thing from Lord Indra which is that one should learn from other's mistakes. I have also learnt that whenever we try to put some one down it falls back on us so for me its more of a leaning process. To be frank I haven't watched mythological shows... not even read Ramayan or Mahabharata! I just asked everything to the producers and the creative team before taking up the show."

When asked him about the ambiance on the sets and his rapport with Mahadev (Mohit Raina) he said, "Mohit is an amazing person. He is very busy as he shoots for the maximum amount of time so he usually rehearses his lines and doesn't get much time to spend with us. I admire him as well as I have learnt a lot from him, his devotion and dedication is commendable."

When asked him about his future plans, he said, "I would now like to get into movies as a lead role or a proper, substantial role.The best part is I was offered a movie wherein I had to play Lord Indra once again but I decided to chuck it as I wasn't comfortable with the set up."

Here's wishing Lord Indra a shower of success!!