Debate Mansion

Economic Vs Envrionmental

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Is Economic Progress more important than Environmental Progress?

Which according to you is more important?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sowmyaa thumbnail
well,....I was not talking about Narmada project..but if you want to talk about it....... Do you know how life of people was in the city where there was no water and water cut all the time? How were these big city in those state some 10 yrs back? Yes, it did affect most of the tribal and adivasi people. But we all know that Govt. did relocation, however like all Govt. work, relocationw as affected by slow work, lousiness and corruptions. Some plp were relocated and som didn't. Some were compensated some didn't. Some organisations who came forward to help these tribes ....however, these orgnaisations are such lousy and fake.....rather than helping government these orgnaizations kept on fueling issue by resisting govt. efforts and telling people that they deserved better than this so plz dont accept any money or help from govt. and escalated issues. This org. started out the issue on human ground and when people got some descent relocation, they raised the issue of environment. They claimed that this Dam is not good for environment, its impact on ecology was devastating etc. etc. etc. thes org. became training schools for all college kids mostly from Mahrashtra on how to rais "awaaz" against government. I persoanlly was very disaapointed about all these organizations, since they became obstacle. Now we have Narmada water in big river. Even Kutch suffernig from drought every year has yet to receive its water, but its on the way. Now these org. are doing what they should 've done some 15yrs ago. Truly helping people reloccate and make their life better. If you ask me, life of plp would be better of after 50 yrs because of Dam. RElocation always hurts but its not life threatening. Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Neil Diamond

🤔 ....to me its still confusing as to what you wanna convey.

well, firstly i was not talking about sardar sarovar in my opening statement, but when you brought that up as not being enviornmental i didn't agree with it ...so all that lecture 😉 anyways! let's stick to the topic.

By environmenal progress I mean general environmental issues like, clean ocean, water, air-water-noise pollution, wildlife, neuclear weapons etc. etc. etc.
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Neil Diamond

India needs more of Subhash Chandra Bose and Sanjay Gandhi.

I agree!
Signora2 thumbnail
America is the last country to toe a purely environment line, it is still uptight about the green house effect and surely Condeelza Rice had the American interest in mind when she talked of economic green revolution.
Things are not so rosy in India there are extremes, if Narmada dam is being built the villagers have paid the price so is the case with Tehri dam. Issues of Submergance of fertile land and the safety aspect is often ignored.
I wonder if the lives of those affected will take a turn for the better after brightening up lives of ppl living in Delhi and other parts of the country.
There is always price to be paid and only the weak suffers the most, yet a rehabilation process that ensures the affected parties who had farmed the land for years are not left in the lurch is ideal.
It is only now that ppl who hailed the green revolution in Punjab have suddenly realised the damage excess of fertiliser use has done.
In America too, mining in forested land that will tear apart fragile aforested area has angered the environmetalists. Protests such as these indicate how much importance is attached to environment, it cannot be exploited for business reasons.
Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Adverse effect on the environment is assumed to be a compulsory "by product" of any progress and the question of enivironment impact of progress first came as a consequence of the industrial revolution.

Negative effects do not, however, have to be the rule. Any project can be designed to minimise its impact on the environment. The details of this is highly technical and differs from project to project.

I conclude by saying that Economics and Environment need not be seen as adersaries but as two factors which have to be simultaneously included in a solution.

If all this sounds Greek and Latin to you, be cool: it seems the same to me too