Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 84)

-Nymphadora- IF-Sizzlerz
-Nymphadora-
-Nymphadora-

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged
@Vrish-thats a real nice story!!!-but what did Ayaapa address Laxmi as??

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
Don't ask ROFL

vanadhi

NandiniRaizadaa IF-Stunnerz
NandiniRaizadaa
NandiniRaizadaa

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Don't ask

arrey and i was waiting with abated breadth to hear the answer lolz

vanadhi

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged
[QUOTE=.Vrish.]

I once read this story about Ayappan here 3 years ago:
In a temple, the Sastha (Ayyappa) sat with with his legs crossed with his finger on his nose as if pondering about something deeply. It was said that whoever finds what he was thinking and says it out loud, the statue will remove the finger from the nose. Appaya Dikshitar said - The Lord thinks, "When I go to Kailash, Lord Shiva is my father and I address Parvati Devi as Mother. When I go to Vaikuntha, Lord Vishnu is my Mother, but how will I address Lakshmi Devi? She is my mother's wife!!??!" The moment he said this, the statue removed the finger and a loud laughter was heard in the temple. 

The Appaya  Dikshitar to whom you have alluded to, was a great Sanskrit scholar, well known for such aphorisms. 

IIRC what I have read regarding the above story, many many years ago,  a sculptor  was once commissioned by the local king to carve a statue of  Lord Ayyapa. The typical image of Ayyapa  has his left hand placed over the left knee and his right hand in the abhaya hasta (aashirwad) mudra) IN this case, when the completed statue was unveiled, the king commented that  the right hand was too close to the nose and gave the viewer the impression that the Lord was in some deep thought, rather than in in the usual benign blessing mode. The sculptor did not know how to respond. If he insisted that his image was correct, he would be disagreeing with the king risking the king's ire. On the other hand, if he agreed with the king, it would imply a tacit admission on his part that there was indeed some defect in his creation. 

The sculptor found an ingenious way out and claimed indeed the king was correct, and he (the sculptor) had been 'inspired' to carve it in such a manner. He also claimed a heavenly voice had 'told' him that when someone discovered what the Lord was thinking about, He would remove His hand from his nose. The sculptor  escaped with his outlandish explanation, but the legend lived on for many many years...

...Until the day Appaya  Dikshitar visited the temple. His wit and intelligence were intrigued by this legend and in a spontaneous burst of poetry, revealed  what  Lord Shasta  was musing about.  It is claimed that Lord Shasta responded by bringing his hand back to the abhaya hasta  mudra .

There is another interesting incident in which Appaya Dikshitar's wit and intelligence were involved.  Once he accompanied his patron king and queen to  a local temple in Kanchipuram where the presiding deity was Lord Varadaraja Perumal (a form of Vishnu) . The priest waved the aarti lamp in front of the God and then brought it to the royal couple . At this point the king remarked that the Lord's face seemed to be looking down rather than facing straight. The king asked Appaya Dikshitar what may be the reason. Appaya Dikshitar looked around for an answer. The sanctom sanctorum where they were standing was in semi darkness and and the light of the flickering lamps made the Queen's jewels sparkle magnificently.

It did not take long for Appaya Dikshitar to respond. He said " My king, the Lord seems to be looking down because He is looking at his heart. When He saw the Queen here, He got confused for  a moment and wondered whether it was his Lakshmi, who was now standing in front of him." 

Do I need to say how pleased the king would have been with this answer? 

Appaya Dikshitar lived in the 16 century

Edited by varaali - 04 June 2012 at 3:36am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.vanadhi

vanadhi IF-Dazzler
vanadhi
vanadhi

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 3:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

[QUOTE=.Vrish.]

I once read this story about Ayappan here 3 years ago:
In a temple, the Sastha (Ayyappa) sat with with his legs crossed with his finger on his nose as if pondering about something deeply. It was said that whoever finds what he was thinking and says it out loud, the statue will remove the finger from the nose. Appaya Dikshitar said - The Lord thinks, "When I go to Kailash, Lord Shiva is my father and I address Parvati Devi as Mother. When I go to Vaikuntha, Lord Vishnu is my Mother, but how will I address Lakshmi Devi? She is my mother's wife!!??!" The moment he said this, the statue removed the finger and a loud laughter was heard in the temple. 

The Appaya  Dikshitar to whom you have alluded to, was a great Sanskrit scholar, well known for such aphorisms. 

IIRC what I have read regarding the above story, many many years ago,  a sculptor  was once commissioned by the local king to carve a statue of  Lord Ayyapa. The typical image of Ayyapa  has his left hand placed over the left knee and his right hand in the abhaya hasta (aashirwad) mudra) IN this case, when the completed statue was unveiled, the king commented that  the right hand was too close to the nose and gave the viewer the impression that the Lord was in some deep thought, rather than in in the usual benign blessing mode. The sculptor did not know how to respond. If he insisted that his image was correct, he would be disagreeing with the king risking the king's ire. On the other hand, if he agreed with the king, it would imply a tacit admission on his part that there was indeed some defect in his creation. 

The sculptor found an ingenious way out and claimed indeed the king was correct, and he (the sculptor) had been 'inspired' to carve it in such a manner. He also claimed a heavenly voice had 'told' him that when someone discovered what the Lord was thinking about, He would remove His hand from his nose. The sculptor  escaped with his outlandish explanation, but the legend lived on for many many years...

...Until the day Appaya  Dikshitar visited the temple. His wit and intelligence were intrigued by this legend and in a spontaneous burst of poetry, revealed  what  Lord Shasta  was musing about.  It is claimed that Lord Shasta responded by bringing his hand back to the abhaya hasta  mudra .

There is another interesting incident in which Appaya Dikshitar's wit and intelligence were involved.  Once he accompanied his patron king and queen to  a local temple in Kanchipuram where the presiding deity was Lord Varadaraja Perumal (a form of Vishnu) . The priest waved the aarti lamp in front of the God and then brought it to the royal couple . At this point the king remarked that the Lord's face seemed to be looking down rather than facing straight. The king asked Appaya Dikshitar what may be the reason. Appaya Dikshitar looked around for an answer. The sanctom sanctorum where they were standing was in semi darkness and and the light of the flickering lamps made the Queen's jewels sparkle magnificently.

It did not take long for Appaya Dikshitar to respond. He said " My king, the Lord seems to be looking down because He is looking at his heart. When He saw the Queen here, He got confused for  a moment and wondered whether it was his Lakshmi, who was now standing in front of him." 

Do I need to say how pleased the king would have been with this answer? 

Appaya Dikshitar lived in the 16 century

Thanks vaarali ,
i love this kind of stories ...i have question about Lord VaradaRaja (boon giver  ).Right ! it is said that actual deity (Mulavar) is under the temple'sPool water for some reasons .And the ONe who is now is replaced by it is what we are worshiping . So when it happens before Ramanujar period ? or later 

varaali

.Reshama. IF-Sizzlerz
.Reshama.
.Reshama.

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 7:15am | IP Logged
---Oke her is my question..are Shiv and Shakti  Dravidians Gods from the Indusvalley..Btw what happend to that high civilized population.???

.Vrish.

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged
Reshma

Looks like Shiva was one god common to both the Dravidians and the Indus Valley people, as well as the Aryans.  The Indus Valley seems to have worshipped him as Pashupata, while the Aryans worshipped him in a more human form.

Beyond that are whole schools of belief dedicated to who believes what, whether the Pashupata of the IVC was the same as Shiva of the Aryans, and so on.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

varaali.Reshama.

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by vanadhi

Thanks vaarali ,
i love this kind of stories ...i have question about Lord VaradaRaja (boon giver  ).Right ! it is said that actual deity (Mulavar) is under the temple'sPool water for some reasons .And the ONe who is now is replaced by it is what we are worshiping . So when it happens before Ramanujar period ? or later 

Yes, the Adhi Varadar (original diety) lies immersed in the temple pond. The 10 foot  idol is taken out once in 40 years and grand poojas are done. The last time this was done was in 1979.

The Moolavar who resides in the temple is supposed to have come from a place called Palaya Sreevaram , near Kanchipuram. 

Now, I always thought this was so since the very beginning. Do you know if Ramanujar has said anything to the contrary in his Pasurams? 

vanadhi

Go to top