Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 149

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Add to that Garuda's mother - I forget her name Ouch

Also, anyone know who Khyatti married?
I checked SB today, it gives different names of Dakha's daughters. Khyati is not mentioned in either Devi purana or SB.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 4)" in Devon ke Dev Mahadev forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sattvik

IF-Dazzler

sattvik

Maniben.com Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged

@Vrish:
The Vishnu Purana affirms that Khyati is the young and bright-eyed daughter of Daksha. She is the niece of Bhrigu, the Muni and later married him and had two sons and one daughter

Khyati gave birth to two sons, named Dhata and Vidhata. She bore the daughter name Shri or goddess Lakshmi. Lakshmi married Lord Vishnu. Khyati means celebrity. She is also the faculty of discriminating objects by appropriate designations; or the means of individual fruition.

http://www.indianetzone.com/34/khyati_daughter_daksha.htm

Also, I've seen a similar Vishnu murti in South India somewhere, can't remember the name, but the murti has a Shivling, right in the same place it was in the show. Just to think about it, if you have a murti of Brahma Dev and Shri Vishnu, why would you leave out Shivji from it being a Trimurti?

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

neetukmahalaxmik..Naina...Vrish.mnx12-Nymphadora-shaliMithiBani

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 8:30am | IP Logged

Add to that Garuda's mother - I forget her name Ouch

Vinata-  Oh She too was Daksha's daughter?. Which means Kadaru, her sister too was Daksha'sDaughter. Both of them too married Kashyapa 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

neetuk.Vrish.

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged
sattvik

Thanks for the info on Khyatti.  So she is the real MIL of Vishnu.  I've seen 2 accounts of Lakshmi's parentage - in the samudra manthan, it was Varuna who presented her to Vishnu, which is why he is acknowledged as her father.  But I've seen accounts where Bhrigu is Lakshmi's father.  Any idea who Varuna's wife(s) was/were?

On your other point, Brahma is rarely worshipped, so if someone is exclusively worshipping Vishnu or Shiva, either is pretty legit.  I've never seen a puja involving worship of both Vishnu and Shiva, since in that case, a question would have come up of why leave Brahma out of it, which would invoke the above story.

Varaali

You're right - Vinati & Kadru (mother of the dog species) are the other daughters.  I think in the doubts & discussions in the Ramayan, in some context, this came up, and someone provided all the daughters of Daksha.

So aside from Rati, did any of Daksha's daughers marry devas or kshatriyas, as opposed to sages?

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

neetukmahalaxmik..Naina..shali

sattvik

IF-Dazzler

sattvik

Maniben.com Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged
@Vrish - I have always thought Varun Dev's wife is/was Maa Varuni

Daughter - Married to
---------------------
Swadha - Angiras
Smriti - Angiras
Siddhi - Dharma
Buddhi - Dharma (Mother of Bodha)
Pushti - Dharma
Kakud - Dharma
Kriya -
Dharma
Lamba - Dharma
Maitri - Dharma
Sadhya - Dharma
Kirti - Dharma
Lajja
- Dharma (Mother of Vinaya)
Shraddha
- Dharma
Dhriti
- Dharma
Ansuya - Atri
Urjja - Vashisht
Diti - Kashyap (Mother of Daityas)
Aditi - Kashyap
(Mother of Adityas/Devta)
Khasa - Kashyap (Mother of Yaksha)
Kalaka - Kashyap
Tamra - Kashyap
Ida- Kashyap
Khyati - Bhrigu
Kshama - Pulaka
Prava - Kashyap
Sambhuti - Marichi
Rohini - Chandra Dev
Kashtha - Kashyap (
Mother of beasts with un-cloven hoofs)

Kadru (Mother of the Nagas)
Danu (Mother of Danavs)

Also says Bahuputra marries two daughters of Daksh Prajapati... Arishtanemi (another name for Kashyap) marries four daughters... :s

My source is the link above that I posted...

Plus you have the Nakshatras that married Chandra Dev...

Daksh had loads and loads of children!!

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

neetukmahalaxmik..Naina...Vrish.RatiGshaliMithiBani

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
Who were Saptarishis & what was each one's speciality?
@ Roark/ Vinu, good to see you backSmile

Edited by mnx12 - 22 December 2011 at 12:28am

cooldudette

cooldudette

Posted: 22 December 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged

In the ACK (Amar Chitra Katha) Elephanta, I read about this.  The story is that Brahma & Vishnu were debating on who is superior, and so, suddenly, a huge tower of light appeared that seemed to have no beginning nor end.  They decided to settle this by finding out the starting points of this tower.  Vishnu took the same form as he did as Varaha, and started digging the earth, hoping to find its root, while Brahma took the form of a kraucha (heron) and decided to fly up and find the apex.

Neither succeeded, but when they returned, Vishnu conceded, while Brahma falsely claimed that he did indeed find the apex.  At this, Mahadev suddenly appeared and cursed Brahma that due to his lie, and that too for purely egotistical purposes, nobody would worship him.  Whereas, Vishnu, for being truthful, would be worshipped along w/ Shiva.  The tower that was there  came to be representative of Mahadev, which is why a lingam is always used.

I have no idea about what the ACK uses for its sourcing, but this partly seems to explain why there are no temples of Brahma, except for the one in Pushkar, in Rajasthan.  I've also read that somewhere in Bangkok too, there is a temple dedicated to Brahma.

One thing that struck me about the episodes in DkDM is the insistence that a lingam be available to enable the worship of Lord Narayan.  I've never seen this in any puja where Narayan is invoked.

Usually ACK stories are reproduced from the Puranas

As for that Shiva ling next to the Lord Narayan in shayana pose, it usually comes with that pose. There are temples for this lord (called Ananth Padmanabaswamy) in South india (including the famous one at Tiruvananthapuram) where Lord Vishnu in this pose, Bramha is sitting on the lotus that comes from the Lord Narayan's naval and a shiva ling by the right hand of Lord Narayan. Refer this picture - http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/83388333-sri-anantha.jpg
So the trimurtis are all together in this..though this idol is primarily to worship Lord Vishnu

Saivaites believe that Lord Vishnu is worshipping Lord Shiva in this pose and Vaishnavites believe that Lord Vishnu is blessing Lord Shiva here.

Coming to this serial, I am not sure if this part is actually true because even I haven't read about this sculpture being made by Daksha or even Daksha being a Vishnu-bhakth
I have only read that Daksha expected Lord Shiva to bow to him after Sati's marriage as he was his son in law but Lord Shiva being superior didn't want to do it because that is not correct and hence Daksha started hating him

But what they are trying to show here is that this sculpture is supposed to have the trimurtis but Daksha deliberately excluded the Shiva ling and hence that made it incomplete

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

neetukAnyaSwaRon..Naina...Vrish.sattvikshaliMithiBani

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 22 December 2011 at 1:33am | IP Logged
 cooldudette,

It is only in Tiruvananthapuram, is the shivling placed next to the reclining Vishnu. 

It is not there in the temple at Srirangam, where Ranganathaswamy is also in the shayana pose.

Coming back to Ananta Padmanabha Swamy, as the name suggests, Vishnu is reclining on his serpant (Ananta) with a Padma (lotus) emerging out of his navel (nabha) . Obviously, reason for the lotus sprouting is the emergence of Brahma, hence Brahma is also carved into the lotus. This is the basic iconography. The shiva linga near the Lord's drooping right hand is only accidental.

This serial is trying to show that there should be a shivling with every Shayana Vishnu -which is not the case. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that each (Shiva and Vishnu) cannot be offered worship independently - though there may be cases where one is invoked during the worship of the other, depending on regional / sectorial beliefs 

Edited by varaali - 22 December 2011 at 1:45am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

neetuk..Naina...Vrish.shali

Post Reply New Post

Go to top