Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 149

Roark

IF-Rockerz

Roark

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 3:13am | IP Logged
Hi guys,

Vrish, Parina, mnx12, its me Vinu. Lot of information for me to read over here.

I changed my user name as some one mis used my account.

This is the first time I am coming across a serial based on Shiva. Otherwise its usually Rama and Krishna mostly.

I hope this sustains my interest unlike Dwarkadish.

Catch up with all of you soon

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.mnx12

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 3)" in Devon ke Dev Mahadev forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Originally posted by shruti.nil

Raja Daksh said in one of the episodes that Lord Shiva banned his father Lord Bramha from being worshiped
can anyone tell me why did Lord Shiva do such a thing?

In the ACK (Amar Chitra Katha) Elephanta, I read about this.  The story is that Brahma & Vishnu were debating on who is superior, and so, suddenly, a huge tower of light appeared that seemed to have no beginning nor end.  They decided to settle this by finding out the starting points of this tower.  Vishnu took the same form as he did as Varaha, and started digging the earth, hoping to find its root, while Brahma took the form of a kraucha (heron) and decided to fly up and find the apex.

Neither succeeded, but when they returned, Vishnu conceded, while Brahma falsely claimed that he did indeed find the apex.  At this, Mahadev suddenly appeared and cursed Brahma that due to his lie, and that too for purely egotistical purposes, nobody would worship him.  Whereas, Vishnu, for being truthful, would be worshipped along w/ Shiva.  The tower that was there  came to be representative of Mahadev, which is why a lingam is always used.

I have no idea about what the ACK uses for its sourcing, but this partly seems to explain why there are no temples of Brahma, except for the one in Pushkar, in Rajasthan.  I've also read that somewhere in Bangkok too, there is a temple dedicated to Brahma.

One thing that struck me about the episodes in DkDM is the insistence that a lingam be available to enable the worship of Lord Narayan.  I've never seen this in any puja where Narayan is invoked.

Vrish,

The ACK that you are quoting from is quite authentic for this particular story. 

This story is the sthala purana for the temple at Tiruvannamalai.  Shiva, here,  is worshipped as a manisfestation of light / agni  (one of the five elements). Similarly there are other temples where Shiva is said to be the personification of other four elements 

The insistence that a lingam be present for a Vishnu puja is absurd. Staunch  Vishnavites do no such thing. Vishnu is represented by the Saligram stone (A kind of black coloured stone) 

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

neetuktensionbuddy..Naina...Vrish.mnx12deboleena.mannashali

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged
Varaali

Thanks for explaining.  This also was described in the ACK as the story behind the Shiva lingam @ Elephanta.  

On the Shiva lingam, every serial usually has it right - they show lingams wrt the worship of Mahadev, but never wrt the worship of anyone else - not even Durga, Kali, Kartik or Ganesh.  Vishnu seems even more far fetched.

Roark/Vinu

Glad to see you back again Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:20am | IP Logged
Vrish,

Elephanta as in Elephanta Caves? ( the ones near Mumbai)? 

The story that I am alluding to appears in the Arunachala Khanda of Skanda Purana.

That Daksha had problems with Shiva is well known. But where is it mentioned that he was such a staunch Vishnu follower ?

Edited by varaali - 21 December 2011 at 6:23am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.mnx12shali

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged
Mnx

Reading that link of yours, yeah, now I recall the Ketaki flowers as well.  The story didn't describe any battle b/w Brahma & Vishnu, but rather just a verbal argument & then this contest.  Nor did it describe Shiva as wanting to kill Brahma, just went directly to that curse.

Varaali

Yeah, the ACK in question describes the various statues in the Elephanta caves near Mumbai, and the stories behind each, including this one.

I too never knew that Daksha was a Vishnu worshipper.  Although Vishnu did try to protect him from Virbhadra after Sati's death, but in vain.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12varaali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:35am | IP Logged
Ok I would like to consolidate whatever we know on all of Daksha's daughters- 

Sati  married to Shiva
Rati married to Kama
27 Nakshatras (Ashwini to Revati ) married to Chandra (Moon)
Diti/Aditi married to Sage Kashyapa

Anyone with more info? PLease pitch in

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

..Naina...Vrish.MithiBani

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged
Add to that Garuda's mother - I forget her name Ouch

Also, anyone know who Khyatti married?

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Mnx

Reading that link of yours, yeah, now I recall the Ketaki flowers as well.  The story didn't describe any battle b/w Brahma & Vishnu, but rather just a verbal argument & then this contest.  Nor did it describe Shiva as wanting to kill Brahma, just went directly to that curse.

Varaali

Yeah, the ACK in question describes the various statues in the Elephanta caves near Mumbai, and the stories behind each, including this one.

I too never knew that Daksha was a Vishnu worshipper.  Although Vishnu did try to protect him from Virbhadra after Sati's death, but in vain.
That link explains why Brhmaji is not worshipped, that's one of the reason Daksh was against him.
He was left with only Vishnuji to worship, Godess Parashakti he worshipped & got Sati as his daughter. He always used to perform Vishnu-Yagyas. He refused to give Yagya-bhaga to Lord Shiva to reduce his importance.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

AnyaSwaRon..Naina...Vrish.shaliMithiBani

Post Reply New Post

Go to top