Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 144)

Post Reply New Post

Page 144 of 149

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Visha_Dhami

Actually even i was confused as i had always known that Murugan is younger than Lord Ganesha and Ganesha is the elder brother.  
In the North Indian version, Kartikeya is eldest. He was born to kill Tarakasur. then Ganesh is born. This show follows that version. But they tend to mix up different version & create one of their own, at times confusing viewers at what actually is happeningLOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-VishaD-.Vrish.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 144)" in Devon ke Dev Mahadev forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

magicman555

magicman555

Posted: 15 January 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

Originally posted by magicman555

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know how was the relationship between Lord Ganesha and Lord Kartikeya.  were they cordial with each other or did kartikeya distance himself from the family

ThanksSmileSmileSmile

I am not sure how Kartikeya's relationship is depicted in the North Indian sources, but I can surely tell you how Tamil literature describes the brothers' relationship.

First of all, down South, Kartikeya is the younger brother and Ganesha the elder one. So there is a reversal of roles. OTOH, I can recollect three incidents which shed light on the brothers' relationship.

First is the circumambulation of the Earth- in which Ganesh is declared the winner. In the Tamil sources, this incident takes place when they were still children and the reason for holding the competition was to determine who would get to eat the mango that Narada had brought and offered to Shiva. Kartikeya is rather miffed that his parents' agreed with Ganesh's 'shortcut' parikrama.

Kartikeya's anger is more against his parents' than his brother. But as far as I have read, it is the sulking and disappointment of a young child- not the vindictiveness of a teenager as being shown in the serial. In fact Parvati goes on to cajole Murugan.

The second incident where we get to see both of them is just before the war with Surapadman when Kartikeya prostrates before Vinayaka and seeks his elder brothers' blessings before starting out (since Ganesha is considered Vignaharta- remover of all obstacles). 

The third and  most famous incident is when Murugan tries to woo Valli but runs into one problem after another. Getting frustrated, Kartikeya mentally invokes Ganesha to come and help him out. 
and Ganesha immediately responds (what are elder brothers for, if not solve their siblings' problems?) by appearing as a huge wild elephant. 

(I had written about Murugan- Valli romance somewhere- not able to locate it right now)

Apart from these Puranic accounts, there are several description by poets and saints describing the quaint, sometimes amusing, activities of Ganesh- Kartik.

Thanks 

bharat9

IF-Dazzler

bharat9

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged
hi...
could someone pls enlighten on the topic of japa mala esp sphatik.

can a person gifts someone a japa mala esp sphatik? i have heard that one shouldn't gift japa mala - is this right? if so, what are the consequences?

is it ok for girls to wear sphatik mala or should it only be used for japa?

can anyone use this mala to do any japa or particularly it should be used to japa Goddess?

thank you so much for time.

peridot.

peridot.

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:11am | IP Logged
I did not know that Ganesha had a sister as depicted in the show. Can anyone share some information about her. Is she younger or older to Ganesha?

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _twilight_

I did not know that Ganesha had a sister as depicted in the show. Can anyone share some information about her. Is she younger or older to Ganesha?
Ashok Sundari's story-she is a boon recived from the Kalpvriksh,Parvati then chooses a groom for her-Nahush
then as she grows up to become a beautiful maiden,she is attacked by an asur she curses the Asur that he will die at the hands of Nahush
the Asur attempts to kill Nahush,and thinking he is dead tries to attack Ashok sundari again when Nahush comes and saves he, Nahush kills the asur and marries Ashok Sundari
AS is supposed to be very brave,but other than she isnt involved in the Ganesha issue
the Ashoks undrari story is different from the Gujrathi story-there the girl is reborn
here she isnt
Ashoka sundaris story ends with her getting married to Nahush.
She is elder then ganesh.

peridot.vanadhi

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bharat9

hi...

can a person gifts someone a japa mala esp sphatik? i have heard that one shouldn't gift japa mala - is this right? if so, what are the consequences?

can anyone use this mala to do any japa or particularly it should be used to japa Goddess?

Sphatik japa mala is used for Devi's mantra japas. Gifting a newly purchased Japa mala is ok but the one in use by a person, should not be gifted, as it contains power of Japas done on it.
Sphatik is a semi precious Gem stone, like all other Gem stones even Sphatik's mala, pendatant can be worn.

Edited by mnx12 - 06 February 2013 at 11:51pm

bharat9vanadhi

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bharat9

hi...

A japa mala becomes a japa mala only after it has been used for japa. Otherwise it is just another ornament . 

A the time of purchasing, (you have to ensure that the sphatiks are genuine- there are lot of fakes also being sold) it is just a mala- necklace. Only by repeated usage for japa does it acquire spiritual properties. There are also rules on how a japa mala should be made: the kind of thread inside (it should not be plastic thread,) there should be no other gems/metal, etc. Ensure that these rules are followed so that the mala becomes efective

You can gift it to someone -provided it is newly purchased. No harm there. You can gift it after it has been purchased and put on a diety's idol as offering. You cannot gift it after you have worn it on your body.  In case you gift it after having worn it, it can at best be use as necklace- not for japa.

Cases where a japa mala can be gifted:  A japa mala that has been used for japa is loaded with spiritual power. It is not gifted in a trivial manner.  A Guru who has used it / worn it may give it to his/ her shishya. What I mean is, if the japa mala is going to be handed over to another person, it should be given / received in a proper manner. 

Yes, I would say anyone can use the sphatika mala for japa.  If you begin to read the scriptures with a microscope, the rules of what women should not do are far more that what women should do. So, we need not follow all that too strictly.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Dialamnx12vanadhibharat9

bharat9

IF-Dazzler

bharat9

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged
thanks mnx12 and varaali for clearly my doubts.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12

Post Reply New Post

Go to top