\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 89

Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by Chitrashi

Kamakhya Shakti Peeth is the temple of Bhudevi  or Prithvi Mata so far ask I know. Kamrup does not have anything to do with Kamdev.

Kamakya is of Mahakali, with other 9 Mahavidyas also present in this Shakti peeth.
Kamarupdesh, it was called because people living there knew many mayavi vidyas.
Edited by mnx12 - 11 years ago
Originally posted by mnx12

Even I am aware of this Ashwamedh yagyas. But this can not be the only criteria, there has to be much more then this. Indra is also lord of Rains, besides being Devaraj. So this yagya may be just one of the many eligibalities Indra should have. He was always insecure so used to send his apsaras to break penance or had played some tricks too. He wanted to retain his power at any cost.

I think the other eligibility criteria was 10,000 years of tapasya; which is why Indra was always disrupting the penance of various sages.

Since Kamdev was the God of sexual desire and his total annihilation would mean the destruction of all life, Parvati after winning Shiva's love requests him t restore Kamdev, but Shiv agrees to restore Kamdev only in the spiritual form and does not give him a body.

Kamdev existed between the planes of death and life in a spiritual form till his rebirth.
Brahma promised Rati that Kamdev would gain a body once Shiv and Parvati were married. Grief striken Rati was consoled by Vishnu that he would bring back Kamdev as part of his Krishna avtar. Kamdev was born as Krishna's son Pradyumna.

The place where Kamdev lost his life is known as Anangashram.
Kamakhya Shakti Peeth is the temple of Bhudevi or Prithvi Mata so far ask I know.
Kamrup does not have anything to do with Kamdev.

@Pink: Could you please cite your source?

@Green: Actually there is a well-known story that connects Kamarupa with Kamadeva. I have to admit here that I don't know the source, but there are multiple websites on the cultural history of the region that incorporate it. I read it for the first time in a travelogue. However, I totally appreciate the fact that there must be other legends too about the origin of the name Kamarupa. Thanks for replying.
Edited by sub_rosa - 11 years ago
I do not have the actual sources on hand for the references in Pink. That Pradyumna was the mortal reincarnation of Kamdev is mentioned in Shrimad Bhagwad. He is also believed to be an incarnation of Vishnu himself as per several tracts.

That Brahma consoled Rati and asked her to wait till the union of Shiva and Parvati I read in several mythological stories. In fact the delay between Kamdev's incineration and his mortal incarnation is used as a reason to give a new name for his ethereal existence - Ananga. I think there is a reference to it in Kalidasa's Kumarasambhavam

From the extracts I've read, I've always understood that Shiv was so angry at being awoken prematurely that he opened his third-eye and then left the venue. Parvati only interceded on behalf of Kamdev after her union with Shiv. And that kind of made logical sense to me too, if Shiv was so angry why would he listen to any entreaty at that particular moment. Only when the fruits of that awakening would become apparent to him in the form of his marriage, that he would relent.
😊

SHIVA DEMAND PARVATI AS HIS CONSORT

while reading some stories from shiv puran  about shiv and parvati came across this story so thought of sharing with you all... Hope u like it...😊

Parvati, after successfully accomplishing her penance came back to her home. Everybody was happy at her arrival.
After sometime Himalaya went out to take his bath in the river Ganges. Meanwhile lord Shiva arrived in his appearance of Nataraj and started dancing in front of Parvati's mother - Maina. She was so pleased by his dance that she wanted to present jewels to him in appreciation, but Shiva refused to take them. He expressed his desire to marry Parvati, which made Maina furious.
In the meantime, Himalaya arrived and she informed him what Shiva had said. He became angry too and ordered his attendants to drive away Nataraj (Shiva) from that place. Shiva then showed his divine appearance due to which Himalaya had the vision of Lord Vishnu and Parvati sitting by the side of lord Shiva in him. Himalaya was very surprised.
Lord Shiva again demanded Parvati to be made as his consort, but Himalaya in his ignorance again refused it. Nataraj then returned back to his abode.
After Shiva went back, Himalaya had a feeling that perhaps it was lord Shiva himself, who had arrived in the appearance of Nararaj. He realized what a grave blunder had been committed. Because of their guilt consciousness, both Maina and Himalaya felt the germination of devotion in their heart.

Om Namah Shivya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Based on today's precap, this story will most likely be shown...
Re. Kama

I had never heard of Vishnu's promise that Kama would be born as Pradyumna. That's a fascinating story. Will look up the Bh. Pur.

The story I am most familiar with is the one that goes like this: After Kama is burned to ashes, Rati is about to commit suicide when a heavenly voice stops her and tells her to be patient and that Kama will be restored to her when Shiva marries Parvati.

The source I am most familiar with is the Kumarasambhava. Presumably some puranas also contain the story. I recently read an intro to the KS which made a very interesting point about Kalidasa drawing inspiration from some puranic versions and in turn influencing other puranic versions. Basically saying that it is impossible to decide who influenced whom since both Kalidasa and the major puranas date to the Gupta period. 

Not unlike Shakespeare's influence over English history. Historians are always wailing about this!
^^^ Ch 55 of Shrimad Bhagvatam has the story of Kama being reborn as Pradhyumna, and Rati taking a human form of Mayawati and re-uniting w/ him.  You can read about it here.

Obviously, these 2 sources are different, and both cannot be true at the same time.  This serial too would have done well to go w/ one account or the other.  When they showed Vishnu telling Rati that Kama would be reborn as the son of his Krishna avatar, I thought that that was the last we had seen of Kama.  So it was surprising to see him last night.

The story you narrate is exactly as they have it in both the ACKs Shiva & Parvati, as well as Pradhyumna - the one about Rati wanting to end her life, and a heavenly voice reassuring her that she'd get back her husband.  Only, it didn't mention the occasion when she'd get him back.

But as I asked some pages back in this thread, 3 yugas seems a long time for Kama's soul to have been wandering about aimlessly.  Also, I've been curious about whether Kama & Rati were re-united after Pradhyumna's death - that's something not narrated anywhere, although one might assume it.
According to Bhagwad Rati married Pradyumna, so it kind of ties in with Pradyumna being a reincarnation of Kamadeva.

One explanation for Kamadev's ethereal existence is explained by the fact that each Yug had a different emphasis. In Dwapar Yug and this yug the emphasis is on physical desire. While in Satyug and Tretayug the emphasis was on penance and asceticism and conquering the self. Desire - physical and material were considered Tamasik or Rakhshasi nature. Which would be the case if Kamadev the God of desire was in his ethereal form. Now that he exists in corporeal form once again and is part of the Pantheon, his powers would've increased and be more apparent on the world.