Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago

Markandeya went on to create the devi puran and the durga sapta shati and many mantras like ya devi sarva bhuteshu, jayanti manglakali, sarva mangal mangalye etc. So maybe shiva gave hin deerghayu not just for his parents but for the creation of these scriptures. I read that markandeya has seen and survived pralaye
Edited by NandiniPS - 11 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
oh...so he created Ya devi Sarvabhuteshu-is that why they show him saying it!He wrote the Devi Puraan too,and the Durga Saptashati???
thanks for sharing😊
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Okay, the episode they showed just now about the story of Markandeya, and how he was saved by Shiva from Yamaraj brought to mind another question.

Markandeya's parents, as the episode showed, were given an option by Shiva to either choose an ignorant son who'd live long, or a wise one who'd die @ 16 (the episode showed 12).  The parents chose the latter, and as the episode showed, Markandeya became very learned by the time he was due to die.

Then, when he found out about what lay in store for him, he decided to go and propriate Mahadev.  Yamaraj came to snatch him while he was clutching Mahadev's linga, and Mahadev came and saved him.

Question I have is - did Markandeya want an extended life only to serve his parents?  If that was the case, then when his parents died (I don't think they were immortal), shouldn't that have cleared the way for him to pass on as well?  Why did he get to be immortal, as opposed to just having an extended life?

Note that he's one of the few immortals in Hindu mythology, alongside Bali, Vibhishan, Hanuman, Jambavan, Parashurama.  Was he a favorite of Mahadev that caused this?

From what I read, his parents told him of his fate as his 16th year was going to end and they couldn't bear the thought of losing him. Markandeya just replied 'Don't worry, mother, father. I shall pray to Lord Shiva' and set out to worship the Lord. I don't know if it was just to serve his parents and not being able to see their distress or he himself didn't want to leave so soon. It could be both as he felt he had a duty to keep his parents happy and he could use an extended life too. To me it sounded like a last option he had.

Also, I read that when Yama Dev put his noose on Markandeya and the Shiva Linga, Lord Shiva appeared and kicked Yama off the buffalo he was riding for daring to put the noose on the devotee and the Linga.

When Yama expressed his concern on letting a human off his fate, Lord Shiva said, "If only he crosses 16 years of age, his life is forfeit. I bless him to live as a 16 yr old boy forever."

All this was supposed to have happened on the last day of Markandeya's 16th year of his life, according to some versions.

That is the reason I did a double take when I saw an aged rishi being called Markandeya. I thought he was to live 16 till the end of days...

tptwi thumbnail
Did Shiv not know that Parvati was indeed Sati/Adishakti when he first saw her... how did he realize that she was his Sati reincarnated? 

As it seemed to be that he already knew Sati was Adishakti...
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Comments inline

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

Vrish,

I can refer and get back but will need quite a bit of time to do so. Right now my books are inaccessible and I'm not in the right mindset to analyse the data I can gather. My sincere apologies. Most of the times, I don't have the time to do what I'd like to. I can get back after a while on this issue (a max of 10 days). I think Dadichi gave up his bones before Parvati was born but will confirm and get back on that.

The info I can recall now:

Rishi Dadichi gave up his life probably some time after Tvasta's son (Trishira?) was killed by Indra and in revenge Vritra was created. I read somewhere that Rishi Dadichi was Rishi Atharva's son - not sure of this though. Also, Swarcha and Rishi Dadichi had a son named Pipalada - he was left under the care of his grandmother after Rishi Dadichi gave up his life. Swarcha followed her husband. He tried to take revenge on the Devas but in the end realised his mistake. It was an interesting story. 

This all happened, but is there the timeline of all this anywhere - whether it happened before Shiva's marriage to Sati, during that marriage, b/w Shiva's marriages to Sati & Parvati or after Shiva's marriage to Parvati?

tptwi,

The best way to understand the answer to your question is not to consider the story shown in this series (DkDM). They've made a big mess of all characters.

As some members have already pointed out, Sati, out of love and affection towards her parents (thinking she will still be welcome in her birthplace) went to meet her parents and ask Daksha why he wanted to insult her husband like this. There, Daksha insulted her husband (and her) so much that she felt disgusted to own/use the body that was born from Daksha and gave it up. Sati loved Lord Shiva with all her heart and with pure devotion. As far as I know, Sati had no problem in living with Lord Shiva as his wife  - the only problem was she insisted that she wanted to go to Daksha's yagya when Shiva forbade her to.

The story I read was like this:

Sati was the last daughter of Daksha and Prastuti. Both of them had performed severe penances to get the mother of the Universe as their daughter. Some versions say that they wanted Lord Shiva as their son-in-law. Accordingly, Adi Shakthi granted their wish and was born as Sati. She grew up in Daksha's palace. Daksha seems to have done yagyas periodically. In one such yagya, (all Gods, Devas, Yakshas, etc. were invited) everyone accept Lord Shiva bowed to Daksha - either as a greeting or with respect. Only Lord Shiva didn't do so. Daksha was angered at this and then became hostile towards anything related to Shiva. Thus, when Sati wanted to wed Lord Shiva, he explicitly refused. He also arranged for Sati's Swyamvar inviting everyone except Shiva. She was devastated at the thought that her lord was not there. She prayed to Lord Shiva and saying 'If my devotion and love is true, this garland should fall on my Lord Shiva' hurled the garland into the air. Lord Shiva appeared and accepted the garland.

Vibs, the same story in the ACK, but that incident involving Shiva not rising to greet Daksha happened after his marriage to Sati.  In fact, if you think about it, it's the only way it could have happened.  As long as Shiva was unmarried to Daksha, nobody - not even Daksha - would have expected him to rise to greet Daksha.  However, b'cos Shiva was Daksha's SIL at the time, the latter expected Shiva to rise, as he would any son in law.  Shiva knew that if he did, harm would befall Daksha, and so both he and Sati remained seated.

What does surprise me is that Shiva never attempted to explain to Daksha offline - after the yagna - why he didn't rise.  Not that it might have mattered.

Daksha was furious - he told Sati to go away without his blessings and get out of his sight.

Some time later, Daksha prepared for another yagya for which he did not invite Lord Shiva or Sati. It was Rishi Narada who came to Kailash with this news. Sati was upset with her father on not inviting her and wanted to meet her parents and question her father. Shiva tried to dissuade her but she was adamant. In the end, Lord Shiva sent Nandi to accompany her to her father's place.

Daksha insulted Sati and Shiva and Sati unable to bear the insults gave up her life.

Lord Shiva was terribly furious on learning Sati's fate and after her body was shattered he returned to the Himalaya and immersed himself in penances. After Sati's death, Lord Shiva became more hostile than he already was to marrying anyone.

From what I read, it was after this Tarakasur (or Surapadma) obtained the boon that they should be killed by Lord Shiva's son thinking that having lost his wife already it was impossible for Shiva to remarry. Some versions say that Indra and other Devas suggested Himavan to let Parvati serve Lord Shiva. And in their impatience, they convinced Kama to bring them together but Lord Shiva was so angry that he burnt Kama to ashes in an instant.

After this, Parvati thought that she cannot obtain Lord Shiva through only her love. She must do severe penances with utmost devotion too. After many many years of penances, Lord Shiva (after a little test/game) accepted her as his wife.

All these may have been posted already. But I'm putting them here again so that its easier to compare.

Excellent summary
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Vrish,

The version I read stated that Lord Shiva not greeting Daksha happened before Shiva - Sati wedding. Daksha was against Shiva even before the wedding. He didn't invite Shiva for Sati's Swyamvar nor did he want his daughter to marry him. Sati was bent on becoming Shiva's wife and it was to stop her from thinking about Shiva Daksha arranged for her Swyamvar and invited everyone but Shiva. Daksha was not against Shiva till some time before the wedding. He did penances with his wife to get Devi Shakthi as his daughter (and Lord Shiva as his son in law, as in some versions). It was after this incident (Shiva not bowing to Daksha) that he bacame hostile towards anything related to Shiva. One version explains that Daksha had grown arrogant due to his power and hence Lord Shiva didn't greet him. So, I think this incident happened before the wedding.

Congrats on 700 posts 👏
Edited by Vibhishna - 11 years ago
LeadNitrate thumbnail
Thought about adding this to markandeya saga:

All immortals perish in mahapralay, the gods and godesses. But markandeya, is blessed to transcend even mahapralay. So he rests inside the stomach of a large fish( which is vishnu) where there is an exact replica of the universe going on, till the time when creation happens. So chances are he has seen this whole cycle over and over again. Hence he probably knows everything. And  when the cvs showed ganga asking markandeya and his thoughts, i thought they are planning to play on this.
tptwi thumbnail
I know that Shivji is god, so he knows everything.

However, does he not know that Parvati is the incarnation of Sati/Adishakti at first?
How does he come to accept her/realize she is his Sati reincarnated? 

One more question: How is Parvati born with her powers while Sati takes time to gain them?/ How does Parvati become "yogya" for Shiv?
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Shiva went into a completely meditative state, so he may have been completely unaware that Sati had been reborn to return to him as Parvati.

Parvati was not born w/ her powers, although some scriptures have it that miraculous things were observed around her.  After Kama was incinerated, Shiva left, and Parvati thought that Shiva wouldn't be interested in her as she was, and therefore, she went into meditation.  1000s of years later, Mahadev appeared b4 her.
tptwi thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Shiva went into a completely meditative state, so he may have been completely unaware that Sati had been reborn to return to him as Parvati.

Parvati was not born w/ her powers, although some scriptures have it that miraculous things were observed around her.  After Kama was incinerated, Shiva left, and Parvati thought that Shiva wouldn't be interested in her as she was, and therefore, she went into meditation.  1000s of years later, Mahadev appeared b4 her.

How did Parvati acquire her powers? Was it through her meditation? Is that how she became "yogya" for Shiv? 

Also, how did Shiv realize she was his Sati reincarnated? 
Edited by tptwi - 11 years ago