Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: ratilal22192

In my family, different family members do it differently...
but yes I agree if you have faith in Shivji and pray to him, you do not need to fast- because if you dont believe and just do it because your family does it- then there is no point...
but sometimes you cant because of health problems, in that case your health comes first - there is a saying in gujarati- pehla dehh pachi dev (first comes your health then god-meaning fasts and all)

gujaratis usually eat fruits and potato products.
But on shivratri - my family does not eat or drink anything (drink if only you need to, and we take prasad)

There are also Pradosh Vrats too (on the 13th lunar day- so twice a month)...

thanks. true even in north india ppl believe that one needs not to fast as health comes first but then others say differently. depends how strictly you follow.

in punjab, ppl usually eat fruit/milk, also some eat roti with yoghurt either at lunch or dinner, but no salt or potato.

What is Pradosh Vrat? heard about it but have no knowledge regarding this vrat.

watermist thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Bhagvan Shiv is Bholenaath! His all merciful and impressed rather quickly with advent devotion from the devotee towards him. One does not need to follow any such rule as I know. My mother always said pour the ganges water over our narmedeshwar shiv lingam with utmost faith and prayer. Lord Shiva grants his devotees all his wishes!
satyavarshini thumbnail
Originally posted by: watermist

Bhagvan Shiv is Bholenaath! His all merciful and impressed rather quickly with advent devotion from the devotee towards him. One does not need to follow any such rule as I know. My mother always said pour the ganges water over our narmedeshwar shiv lingam with utmost faith and prayer. Lord Shiva grants his devotees all his wishes!

yes, for lord siva bhakti is main. phalam-fruits, pushpam-flowers, toyam-water any thing with bhakti is accepted by him. in the show they have already shown that sati prayed holding bilva patram😊---- satya
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Question - who was Madanika, who is referred to in one of the TB stories?
Intrepida thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
here is a link for Pradosh Vrat

http://www.s-a-i.info/assoc_change/pradosh.html

-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Madanika is a fictional character,she doesn't exist,in terms with the Mythological story line of the show
,a Madanika is basically a figuriene of a Dancer that is part of the architecture of Vishnu and Shiva temples
also there is a character by the name of Madanika (a slave to the main character) in a play called Charudutta that was a play in 6th AD ,which was later adapted in a film called Utsav
but she doesnt have any mythological connection
shruti
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
My Family are basically Shiva worshipers,and every time at Ganesh Chaturthi,infact even before the Ganesh Puja,one day earlier we do the Gauri Pooja-where we install a Gauri on a coconut with all the finery of a married woman-magalsutra,sindoor,bangels,sati etc
why is this pooja conducted?
also Gauri is a name of Sati or Parvati?some sites refer to Sati as gauri while some say Gauri was a name of Parvati,
DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Shruti, Gauri is another name of Mata Parvati. She had very fair complexion so She was called Gauri (fair woman) & She was Parvat Himalaya's daughter so Parvati. Both are same. & Maa Sati is Her previous birth. Sati Mata sacrificed Herself in the Daksh Yagna & reincarnated as Gauri or Parvati in Himalaya's house. She married Lord Shiv in that incarnation too. So Sati, Gauri & Parvati, all are same. 
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
From what I understand, Gauri was another name for Sati, while Uma was another name for Parvati.
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
From
Shaligram:

According to Hindu mythology the Tulsi plant was a woman named Vrinda (Brinda devi ), a synonym of Tulsi. She was married to the demon-king jalandhar. Due to her piety and devotion to Vishnu(narayana), her husband became invincible. Even god Shiva, the destroyer in the Hindu Trinity could not defeat Jalandhar and fight goes between god shiva and demon jalandhar went for many years, So Shiva(supreme god) requested Vishnu - the preserver in the Trinity. - to find a solution. Vishnu disguised himself as Jalandhar and violated Vrinda. Her chastity destroyed, Jalandhar was killed by Shiva. Vrinda cursed Vishnu to become black in colour and he would be separated from his wife. Thus, he was transformed into the black  shaligram shilas and in his Rama avatar, his wife Sita was kidnapped by a demon-king and thus separated from him. Vrinda then burnt herself on her husband's funeral pyre or immolated herself due to the shame. The gods or Vishnu transferred her soul to a plant, henceforth which was called as Tulsi. As per a blessing by Vishnu to marry Vrinda in her next birth, Vishnu in form of Shaligram - married Tulsi on Prabodhini Ekadashi. To commemorate this event, the ceremony of tulasi bivah/vivah/marraige ceremony  is performed. 

God shaligram reside in muktinath river ,kaligandaki,damodarkunda.All holy place are sacred place of piligrimage. 

Other main darshan and incarnation are as follows:

1-Laxmi narasimha shaligram shilas

2-sudarshan shaligram shilas

3-surya shaligram shilas

4-chandra shaligram shilas

5-Parlad narasimha shaligram shilas

6-Bhu-baraha shaligram shilas

7-laddu gopal shaligram shilas

8- hyagriva shaligram shilas

9-Basudev shaligram shilas

9-Narbada linga shilas

10-Sesha shaligram shilas