seema_pat76 Groupbie
seema_pat76
seema_pat76

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged

Dunno if anyone had read this earlier

Bollywood, the Big Brother of Boob Tube
Saturday - Apr 01, 2006
The Televisionpoint.com Saturday Special - Kishore Sharma
Actors who once tried to carve a niche for themselves in Bollywood, are now testing their luck on the boob tube. While some seek fame, for others it is a stop-gap arrangement till they bag a role on the silver screen. Manoj Bajpai is a brooder and undoubtedly an actor par excellence. This man stole the limelight by essaying character roles before he finally played a hero. Manoj's biggest plus and minus points are that he is "too" selective. Though that hinders his career prospects, it also saves him from C-grade filmmakers. "Be it television, theatre or films, I won't do roles that I can't identify with. I am not here to please anybody," Bajpai explains, adding, "I never wanted to play the goody goody lover boy or do conventional roles which I am not cut out for." But how does it feel to be back on the small screen? To this, he says, "I'm having a ball on the sets of Kam Ya Zyaada on Zee Television. It feels great to see people's dreams come true."

Vikas Bhalla - From film star to musician to television artiste, it has been a long trek for Vikas Bhalla. Ups and downs characterize his sojourn along the entertainment boulevard. However, at the moment he is busy with television. And things never looked this good for Vikas. On playing Arjun in Shanno Ki Shaadi on Star Plus, he says, "I play Arjun, an NRI who comes to India. His mission is bride hunting. Arjun falls in love with Shanno's parathas first and eventually with the one who cooks those parathas.

The serial is loosely based on the Hollywood hit My Big Fat Greek Wedding." On his career in films, he says, "I realize that the credit in those days always went to the hero. Today, things have changed, every actor gets his due credit. I'm happy that I'm back in the limelight. I used the long gap to reinvent myself as an actor. After Pyaar Mein Twist, I will be doing Marigold. I am gung-ho about my role in this Hollywood project. Salman Khan is the leading man while I play Raj, an Indian superstar, who thinks he is God's gift to women. Willard Caroll is directing the movie. The film abounds with funny sequences involving Salman and me."

Vikas Sethi - Who some time ago proved his mettle in Kyun Hota Hai Pyarrr on Star Plus, has come back with a bang on the boob tube. "Frankly, I don't know where I'd have gone next if it wasn't for Kahiin To Hoga," says Vikas, who also tried his luck on the big screen with Deepak Tijori's Oops. "Before Ekta gave me K. Street Pali Hill, I was struggling to make my presence felt in the film industry. I even had a tough time meeting the producers," reminisces Vikas, who also made a blink-and-miss appearance as Kareena Kapoor's prom-date Robbie in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. "I believe the same role had been offered to John," says Vikas, adding, "With so many well-known actors joining television, I won't say the medium is less popular. However, the attraction of celluloid is undeniable."

Iqbal Khan - Yet another big-screen aspirant who has made a place for himself on television is Iqbal Khan aka Angad of Kaisa Yeh Pyar Hai on Sony Entertainment Television. So what if his two films, Fun2shh and Bullet didn't fare well at the box office, Iqbal is no less than a rock star back home in Kashmir. "Believe me, my show is more popular than KBC," he says with aplomb. And he just can't get over it. "Television has given me what films couldn't. My career would have come to an end, if not for Ekta, who gave me this wonderful role. My well-wishers told me that moving from cinema to television would reduce my chances of getting roles in films. But you know what? I'm glad for what happened. It is better to be the monarch of the small screen than be a struggler in Bollywood," he reasons.

Jugal Hansraj - Movies have been a passion for Jugal Hansraj. Having shot to fame with Shekhar Kapoor's Masoom when still in school, for Jugal, television is no less a medium when it comes to showcasing one's talent. Jugal, who was seen in StarOne's Darna Mana Hai and as Karisma Kapoor's grandson in Teleservices Karishma, Miracles Of Destiny, says, "If I get a role that appeals me, I will put my heart and soul into it." As a lead actor, Jugal's first film was Aa Gale Lag Ja with Urmila Matondkar, his co actor in Masoom. The shy youngster then went on to steal hearts with his spontaneous performance in Papa Kehte Hain, Mohabbatein and more recently in Salaam Namaste as Preity Zinta's friend. Always been selective about roles, Jugal doesn't want to take up a project just for the heck of it.

Nandini Singh - A former air-hostess, Nandini Singh grabbed the attention of Bollywood filmmakers with her good looks. She got offers to do music videos and modeling assignments. She became more famous after doing the skirt flying scene in Aryans' Dekha Hai Teri Ankhon Ko. Filmmaker Subhash Ghai offered her a role in Ek Aur Ek Gyarah. A Mumbaiite to the core, Nandini is passionate about acting. "I always knew I wanted to act. I got calls from Balaji Telefilms for some role in its serial. But I kept waiting for something special to come my way, till Kesar happened," she says. But what about films? "Acting is my first priority and I do not want to end up doing anything frivolous," she adds.

mahtab Senior Member
mahtab
mahtab

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing!!! Big smile
RandomSquared IF-Sizzlerz
RandomSquared
RandomSquared

Teen Bahuraaniyan Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged
thanx..i never read it before Tongue
KArishma****