India-Forums

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

State of playback singing today

madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 1:49am | IP Logged
Got this article from musicindiaonline.com... what are your comments?

I agree with this to a great extent..but then again my view is that people of  1950s didn't like the 60s music, people of 60s didnt like the 70s music.. and they kept sayin that it is degrading. My grandmother who grew up listening to Shankar Jaikishen's wonders and Rafi and KK croon to the black n white beauties couldn't stand R D Burman's music in movies like Sholay.. which my parents really liked.. but to them they cant understand y I like Dus or Kajra Re.. and I dont see how a lot of people like ABA that much !!

So degradation is wrt to wat, degradation has always been there if u want to percieve it that way, or just believe that its moulding to the audience taste..

What are your views ?

I hope this article hasn't been posted before !

Veterans disappointed at state of playback singing

By PTI
Mar 28, 2006, 08:40

Printer friendly page

Mona Jain, New Delhi: Asha Bhosle has publicly expressed her disappoinment over the state of playback singing in Bollywood. However, she is not alone. Maestros like Jagjit Singh are also talking in the same tone.

This is despite the fact that most of the songs over which questions are being raised have hit the charts for many successive weeks and even won awards.

"Earlier music directors themselves had good knowledge of classical music and would spend months on a single composition. The lyricists were themselves poets of great repute. But the whole scene has changed," rues melody queen Asha Bhonsle.

"Music directors like R D Burman would all the time think of tunes and thought ahead of his time. Recently when I went to Los Angeles for recording, American technical directors were amused at the quality of Pancham's music... It is difficult to find such passionate music directors now," says Bhonsle.

"Playback singing has no relevance in Hindi films these days. You will hardly find any situational song in movies. There is no variety of emotions like sad, romantic or comedy," feels Ghazal king Jagjit Singh.

"Items songs are very much in demand and they have no relevance to the story line," he says.

madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged
bump.. 22 views and no comments ?!
punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged
The picturisation of songs is pretty woeful nowadays. As Asha says, a lot more time and effort went into every song in the golden era. I wouldn't blame the quality of playback singing as much as the music direction. There is a dearth of original compositions. One gets the feeling that the good tunes have all been made and there is nothing more to be made. The lyrics don't inspire. Beats and rhythm push away all melody. It is degradation of the worst kind. Sorry if I sound negative, but that's the way I perceive it.
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged
Madhavi – I believe a big culprit of this downfall is over-production. Just look at the number of Filmy Music and Pop albums popping out every month (+ the deadly remixes) – do you think quality can be maintained in this kind of mass production mode or assembly line process?
SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged
These days, songs are composed and picturised before the movie is actually shot... LOL
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

These days, songs are composed and picturised before the movie is actually shot... LOL

Really Solid - that's another big problem. When the songs are not one of the characters of the movie, and there is 'need' of inserting those 'item number' etc – the calamity is obvious isn't it?

Yesterday I was reading one interview of legendary Satayjit Ray – though he talked about the back ground music mainly – the concept is applicable for Filmy songs too.

Revisiting Satyajit Ray

My belief is that, yes, a film should be able to dispense with music. But half the time we are using music because we are not confident that certain changes of mood will be understood by the audience — so we underline these changes with mood music. I would like to do without music if such a thing were possible, but I don't think I'll ever be able to do it. I will say that I have used very little music in my contemporary films and as much natural sound as possible.

Ray on the setInitially, I did feel that film needed music partly because long stretches of silence tend to bore the audience: It's as simple as that. With music, the scene becomes "shorter" automatically. And in certain types of films, music is a must unless you have a very rich natural soundtrack. Then there's the type of film where music is needed just to hide the rough edges. You know, De Sica's earlier pictures — Bicycle Thieves, Miracle in Milan, Shoeshine, Umberto D. — were very grainy films, shot at a time when they were using five different kinds of black-and-white stock, and when shooting conditions were terrible, right after the Second World War. Not that the cutting or camera movement is bad — De Sica's a master in those departments — but some "rough" scenes simply cried out for music, and he had a marvelous composer, Cicognini, who provided it.

In general, let's just say that whether you are going to use music or sound effects depends on the mood of a scene. If a specific sound effect is crucial, I don't even think of using music in its place. And when you are trying to control time, to maintain real or chronological time, I would say the less music there is, the better, though sound effects can help a lot in this instance. When time is broken up, by contrast, music helps to preserve a linear flow.

Edited by soulsoup - 02 April 2006 at 8:50am
SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 9:37am | IP Logged
And also, these days many songs are directed by a different person than the Director him/herself. Big smile
Qwest IF-Rockerz
Qwest
Qwest

Banned for Advertising

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 9:47am | IP Logged

madhavir108 ji.

In the reality few to non left with that kind of dedication like RD. OP ji GM ji MM ji we keep going and going and going I believe that kind passion honestly is not there. One has to know there choice of limitation and I do not agree with your notion of 50s 60s 70s and today probably they were not any better than before.

Honestly I also can't understand all those remix and literally copying all the sur and Tal like we said carbon copy. And the funny thing is those MD are not shamed to admit of there arrogance but I am not saying we do not have good musician left in these century there some great name still there it is only the test and choice of the listener has changed. To me Music is love, romance and life long commitment it is not one night stand. Yes we did lost a variety of emotion we do need some originality class and knowledge for us to get molded and the audience taste will grow when you have some passion. As said on the article Items songs are very much in demand and they have no relevance to the story line. Play back singer are there today also but lack of charismatic MD.

Few point from the other post. Those are very important factor also.

SolidSnake
Goldie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged

These days, songs are composed and picturised before the movie is actually shot...  

soulsoup
Goldie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged

Madhavi – I believe a big culprit of this downfall is over-production. Just look at the number of Filmy Music and Pop albums popping out every month (+ the deadly remixes) – do you think quality can be maintained in this kind of mass production mode or assembly line process?

punjini

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged

The pasteurization of songs is pretty woeful nowadays. As Asha says, a lot more time and effort went into every song in the golden era. I wouldn't blame the quality of playback singing as much as the music direction. There is a dearth of original compositions. One gets the feeling that the good tunes have all been made and there is nothing more to be made. The lyrics don't inspire. Beats and rhythm push away all melody. It is degradation of the worst kind. Sorry if I sound negative, but that's the way I perceive it.

Edited by Qwest - 02 April 2006 at 9:48am

Go to top