India-Forums

Saat Phere (Saath Phere)
Saat Phere (Saath Phere)

Issues about dark skin...Interesting read

ExoticDivinity2 Senior Member
ExoticDivinity2
ExoticDivinity2

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged

hey guys, i have no idea if this article was posted up here before, but I found something I thought was interesting to share.....it's another person's point of view regarding "Saat Phere" and Saloni.  If you click on the website I am adding onto this post as reference, you will see other people's responses to her article (or blog as she puts it).  So here goes....

In the Shadows of the Skin

By Shubhosree Pal - 4:14 PM Friday 10 March 2006

Indian T.V serials annoy me. As I'm sure they do all thinking beings. Usually I trash them indiscriminately as the populist edge of insanity. But trouble me they do for I keep wondering, as the beaming Sickta Kapoor roles out TRP numbers, the aunts and mothers around become more obsessive about the Tulsi's and Parvati's than perhaps their own daughters, what does this mean??? Large, larger and largish numbers of people tune into prime time, find nothing else (hoping that is the reason) and glue themselves to the soap gel on T.V. But is that all, don't largely idle heads begin to weave the same crap, bitchiness, crazy plots and attitudes into their lives then? How can they not?

Well I'm so irritated by the recent addition and perhaps that is why this post. 'Saloni Ka Safar' (some saat phere too) came in as the new hope for regressive thought. Dark skinned women should be burning the T.V down if not torching the directors and producers of this nonsense. Ostensibly, the Diva of the show is 'black' skinned and hence the butt of the worst and most unbelievable insults from all in the family. Suitors turn her down en masse and one even tries to sexually molest her since dark-skinned women should be 'grateful for any attention' at all. Her mother says the vilest things to her and finally prince charming no less - tall, handsome, loaded, virtuous, 'chooses' her as his 'love'. Great, the ugly duckling wins, but if you could only see how she dresses (remember those tacky mujra women from old movies) amidst perfectly nicely dressed people around her, defies reason in her desire to be the 'eternal doormat' has no personality except as a sniveling victim and shows no normal, identifiable feature of a healthy, intelligent self-reliant human being.

So what is the message??? Well my puny mind makes the following connections- dark women have a BIIIIGGGG handicap and should remember that all insults, diatribe that they face in growing up within the family is the 'norm' and it can only happen for them if some totally non-real God-like-hero decides to saat phere with them. So that we should NEVER forget, that they are karmically bound to be 'ugly', the women should have the dress sense of an aesthetically challenged dodo and yet they will 'make it'. Why??? Because their ugliness worsened with an embarrassing fashion statement will hit people with such an outpouring of compassion that they will embrace them perhaps out of desperation. Oh! And of course their soul/mind/heart must be a congealed mess of beatific mindlessness where they go out of their way (and all standards of intelligence and sanity) to damage self-interest for 'others' (especially their abusers, the meaner the better) and constantly serve themselves up to be laid down as the carpet for people to trample upon, albeit it be a flashy one.

I wish instead, Saloni had just made a 'short' appearance in a Fair and Lovely Ad, let go of her 'darkness'' and left us all in peace. The question is what gives? Are we actually moving forward or backwards in time? Well I don't care how much we like-minded people want to think otherwise but the fact of the matter is ours is a 'fair and lovely' land today where the sales of that one cream, of un-ambivalent intent, has been creating a pretty powerful history.

"Fair & Lovely" is the answer to all our problems; the one stop solution to everything; the colour of our skin can make it or break it for us; all else is peripheral - Beauty is synonymous with fair skin!

I don't know what effect the cream has on the skin, but what I do know is the damaging effect it has on the psyche of the young girls. How it dents their self-esteem when made to feel worthless and guilty for something that is, one, not a flaw, and two a sick legacy.
For instance what does it date back to? The colonial history or is their something latent in human DNA which screams fair is beauty and dark is ugly? I would love to know the answer if anyone has it that is!

In a country like India, where there is a large population of girls with dark/wheatish complexion, it is pure lunacy to even try to transform the colour of the skin. Westerners on the other hand tan themselves dangerously close to roasted chickens to reduce the tepid white of their skins. And we smear chemical junk to bleach our healthy skins into a sickly pallor trying to look like them! Is the grass really greener on the other side or are we simply unable to see the greenery on ours??

Every advertisement for a fairness cream product is ridiculous but this one really takes the cake – the mother asks the father if he would like to have some coffee and the father looking distraught, refuses saying that it is quite expensive and looks wistful and crestfallen because he has no son (who could have bought them coffee). The daughter overhearing this conversation rushes out and starts to howl. And then comes 'Fair & Lovely' to her rescue and voila! She is a transformed woman! Gets a job as an Airhostess and takes her ever so happy parents to a luxurious hotel for a cup of coffee. Can someone tell me the connection here of anything to anything? The advertisement manages to show, not only the concept of beauty and complexion in bad light but also the girl, who had no life until that moment, the parents who are shown to have such a skewed idea about loving their children as they are and the men (sons) who are apparently good-for-nothing except earning money!

Even Ayurveda has joined the madness and now we should have 'Fair & Lovely' with an Ayurvedic formula! Oh, so that makes it all right, does it? Should we feel proud to be using ancient Indian wisdom to become 'herbally fair'?

Now if you feel I'm going over the top let's look at who's joined the national fairness marathon. Men! Yes sire, now it's 'Fair & Handsome' for men. What happened to the good old "Tall, Dark and Handsome"? Not sexy anymore? Wonder what the men have to say about that!

I know many will point out a Kajol, Nandita Das, Smita Patil or a Bipasha Basu and say- see its not the whole truth. But I want to say isn't it? Who's Aishwarya Rai as an actress a person or even a thinker? How does Sushmita end up as a side-kick (though rightfully as Miss Universe she shouldn't) and Ash with her green-eyes and unblemished skin, her mediocre talent and unremarkable personality rule the roost as the most beautiful woman in the world?

Is it really the eye of the beholder then, or the programming in our brains or perhaps something even deeper, which has turned black into a scourge and white into an eternal song of beauty?

I know many will say each one of us has a different idea of beauty, which is our own. For some it's in the eyes, for others it could be the overall sensuality, for yet others it could be the mind, wit and for some external beauty may have nothing to do with it …… and there can be so many more ways to look at beauty. Why should it lie in the colour of the skin?

I don't know? But when I look around everything tells a very different story. Don't you think?

Posted By Shubhosree Pal - 4:14 PM Friday 10 March 2006

http://www.isitaboutsexblog.com/archives/in_the_shadows_of_t he_skin.php

glamritz Goldie
glamritz
glamritz

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 11:50pm | IP Logged
Very interesting. n i agree wid each n every word said.

Colour discrimination is disgusting.
Esp.when they thrust it upon only women.

And the way media perceives it is really annoying.

There has been a discussion on colour discrimination 4 in this forum. infact, it's a sticky topic.

Many of us hv stated our opinions n wht's the most ironic thing is tht some of us living abroad dun even know tht such things STILL exist in parts of India.

It's really sad..

ExoticDivinity2 Senior Member
ExoticDivinity2
ExoticDivinity2

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 6:56pm | IP Logged
I agree it is sad! No one should discriminate against others because of the color of the skin. That is a physical aspect that does not make a person beautiful...what makes a person is what is on their inside, their heart. Kaveri should be of dark skin since her heart is just as dark and cold. We are all humans, and we were all created by ONE creator, so we should embrace each other and not call each other bad names or be each others' enemies because of the color of our skin, or how we look, whether we are short, tall, fat or thin......we should all be accepted for who we are and be proud of ourselves.
pUnJaBiAn_KuRi1 Senior Member
pUnJaBiAn_KuRi1
pUnJaBiAn_KuRi1

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged
to longggg... lolz i didnt read it. but thanks
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top