India-Forums

Indian Idol 6
Indian Idol 6

Will all this publicity help Amey?

anonmember IF-Sizzlerz
anonmember
anonmember

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged
I've read some posts regarding marketing, publicity, playback singing etc in both the II2 and SRGMP forums. Lots of different and interesting view points.

Now, do you think all the hype and publicity from the media will help Amey in the long run? There's no doubt that he's one of the most popular contestant in II2, maybe THE most popular one from II1 and II2.  There was a lot of fanfare on his exit, both on the Idol sets and also from various news channels (Aaj Tak, NDTV) and related sites (Rediff, Mumbai Mirror, TelevisionPoint) So far he has done interviews with Zoom TV (Popkorn), Star Plus SBS (Birthday coverage, Interviews) and a chat with Rediff.com

For a diehard fan like me, reading about him, watching his interviews is always treat. I WANT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT HIM, I won't deny that LOL! I want him to stay in the news, in hopes of it culminating into something BIG (like a contract with a reputable music director or a solo album deal) But thinking w/a rational mind, it seems like too much publicity could hurt, not help, Amey in the long run: expectations will continue to increase esp from casual II2 viewers or even nonviewers interested in music; people tend to get tired and annoyed of reading and hearing the same news after some time as well. The media has a habit of harping about the same news over and over again (for example, Aish-Abhi get married)

However, many singers and artists DO NOT get their due despite being talented because of a lack of exposure or publicity. People simply don't notice them because of improper packaging or not enough media attention. How many of us discuss Indian Idol 1 contestants now? When the show was on air, many people did and they were hyped a lot! But now, the media writes about the contestants barring a few like Abhijeet, Rahul V and Amit Sana. Next year, the same may be the case with many of the II2 contestants. Today, they are hyped and tomorrow, they may be forgotten!

Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic. There are similar topics in both SRGMP and this forum, but this one is focused mostly on Amey.

What do you think? Will all this media attention help Amey become a successful singer, get him contract deals etc? Or does it just benefit Sony and its partner channels in the long run? One would think Sony would cash in on his popularity by offering him an album deal, right? Or wrong?

Here's are related posts on playback singing and music industry:

Discussion: Playback and Music Industry

Marketing and Hype

madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged
Commenting here again, <sorry I am a total addict when it comes to topics with serious discussion>, I think too much of publicity is never a good thing.

As I mentioned, whatever publicity Amey is getting is not because he is a good singer but its just because he got unfairly voted out. In each and every interview the questions asked are standard 'do u think it was set up'.. why keep going to the same track again and again and again?

Sony is completely using this to his advantage. My relatives in India who never used to watch SRGMP though I used to beg them too because of Hemu, Nihira, Himani, Vinit who were fab singers. They started watching II after the Amey walk out because they wanted to see what the fuss was. When they saw Hemu's interview on a local TV channel, my g'mom was like why isnt this boy on Indian Idol, he sings so well! I was like WTH ! You are asking a contestant from SRGMP who was one of the best to go to II, and again fall into same clutches ?! People are watching Indian Idol more now, voting more for whom they think deserves to be II.

How long will media cover Amey, a year, 2 yrs, then what ? II 3 and II 4 will tkae hte front seat, and Amey Date, Abhijeet Sawant, Amit Sana, Karunya etc will all get lost in the dust until they make a name for themselves in other venues like singing for hit names in bollywood, singing in some other languages especially in industries which are really recognized..otherwise, all this effort is totally lost.
mona_kaur Senior Member
mona_kaur
mona_kaur

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
Wow really great topic to discuss. I too am afraid that the whole scence created by sony is only going to benefit sony tv in the long run. Sad but True. I am another huge fan of amey and although I am pleased by the attention he is getting cozz may it be indian idol or ndtv or sub tv, seeing amey anywhere for anything is always a treat for my eyes. However, it seems like as if media is doing all this for sony tv cozz he's always asked to comment on the voting system rather than his capabilites as a singer. If this media was really to help amey and promote his talent as an above average singer than they could have done many things such as getting other professional music directors and singers opinion and reaction to amey's exit. In all the coverages, even one with debojeet, it was not mentioned that amey date truely is a great singer which has lost due to a conspiracy against him ( I think ). Amey's popularity and talent was recognized by sony early on when sonu nigam declared him in top 3 during the audition round and in top 2 in the piano round. Anu malik also stated that amey is defienetly going to be top 2 in the begining of the galas. And being a previous contestant of a rival show (SRGMP), Amey date's talent was not new to sony tv and their plan to use him wisely has worked.
You guys are right, Amey may be in the news for another couple months and as soon as indian idol is over, so will be news related to it. I think for me and all Amey fans he will always remain Amey Date, a great singer and a great humanbeing. And Please always remember that if an injustice is done to Amey than the all is not over yet because sony tv can not make or break a person's life, and the final verdict is still in the hands of the GOD.
Vaibhavi Goldie
Vaibhavi
Vaibhavi

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 3:12am | IP Logged
yes it'll help but only for givin a break in music industry!
sonya there's much "amey""amey" goin here in india! especially in mumbai maharashtra! i meet a tons of ppl who used to be indian idol addicts untill amey's elimination!
yess hype will help him! here i wanna add a thinggy which i learnt from sneha some month ago that "reality shows can kick start ur carrer but CANNOT MAKE IT"
the hype will make him have a good start only but rest lies in his potential, talent and determination!

rahul vaidya did'nt win ii1 but now today he has 20 films in his hands! which is too much 4 a 18 yr old second runner up!
Vaibhavi Goldie
Vaibhavi
Vaibhavi

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 3:15am | IP Logged
but i have full vishwaas in amey!
cause he is a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry promising singer and he'll be verrrrrrrrrrrrrry successful in his life!

if i would had not even been an amey fan i wolud had felt the same and i have same feelin 4 karu and antra
buttercup IF-Stunnerz
buttercup
buttercup

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 3:22am | IP Logged
I wish amey rocks bigger soon Smile

But i think from these publicities only SONY gets benefits.. Confused Confused Confused
sonaahana Goldie
sonaahana
sonaahana

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 3:38am | IP Logged
It will definately give him a face in the industry!
Also i admit...too much of nothing is a good thing...but i take this as an exception!
Vaibhavi Goldie
Vaibhavi
Vaibhavi

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 3:51am | IP Logged
if u do good work u stay in music industry and if u dissapoint the industry ur shown the door!

so if amey utilizes the chance (which he will 100%) properly he'll stay 4 long time in the idustry!

Go to top