Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Hema and Judges (Page 12)

realmusic Senior Member
realmusic
realmusic

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 2:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ummm

While Hema was impressive as a singer, we should not ignore that he did lose his sur on many occassions. That is a bigger problem than diction. Himani on the other end, sang in a lower scale than original, but her performances were not offkey, as far as my memory goes. Vinit, in my opinion, had a much better sur control than Hema and Debu, although he lacked in other factors.

Not sure where you got that from. I can think of maybe one occasion when he lost sur.  Care to produce any examples? I can think of a few times that his voice broke. That is a result of his just coming out of puberty. His voice needs a few more years to settle.

Now, Debo, our grand winner has lost sur numerous times.

saregama Goldie
saregama
saregama

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MrspetloverUS

Originally posted by autmother

I think it has been that way for a long time not just in SRGMP but everywhere in Bollywood that south indians are not encouraged so much. ARR was really the only one who crossed all the boundaries because of his unsurpassed talent. He actually gave oppurtunities to many singers. I think SEL are also good about it. But like Madhavi said
I think Hema and Nihira proved themselves by their songs and talent and did not need any hype.
On a lighter note, Abhi, I really want to hear you singing Preyasi since you seem to be so enthused about singing it or is it meant only to Madhavi. Smile
You are one funny kid!
Varsha, is that you on your AV??? If so you are very pretty

Yes dear it is me. Thank You.Embarrassed

Yes Varshaji, you are really pretty.   

ummm Senior Member
ummm
ummm

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by ab_srgmp

I respect your opinion. We are all entitled to ours. So for now, we'll agree to disagree on the following points:

1. Hema's singing did not have the ability to touch the judges hearts like Himani's and Vinit's
2. He was not more superior technically than Debu and Vinit (sur wise and otherwise)
3. What the judges found missing in Hema's songs, they completely found in Vint's and Himani's songs.
4. Of the songs that the contestants were made to sing, Hema did not show the most versatality.

5. His voice quality, originality, versatility, and improvisations did not make him a stand out as a singer.

And we can agree on:
1. Abhijeet Ghosal was a very good singer (although I am not sure about his versatility either)

I see that you have inferred MORE from my words than was meant.  Big smile

1. I had left my thought as an open-ended question that started with "possibly" - possibly his singing did not touch the mentors?  This is not the same as saying - "his singing did not have the ability to touch hearts".

2. Sur-wise, I did say that I did not find him technically superior. "Otherwise" was completely your interpretation. His voice is certainly the best, IMO, among the three male contestants dicussed. His originality also was his USP.

3. Big smile. If you noticed, I pointed out that Vinit too had diction issues, and Himani sang in lower scale than original. If it makes anyone feel any better, Debu had voice crakcing issues.

4. I truly think that among the men, Debu showed most versatality (open to discussion) and Vinit the least, because most of his songs were Rafi-Sonu songs. Hema was somewhere in the middle.

5. See answer to 2 above.

I don't know about Abhijeet's versatality either. He did not sing too many non-Hariharan songs and did not stay in the competition long enough to show his talent.

ummm Senior Member
ummm
ummm

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by realmusic

While Hema was impressive as a singer, we should not ignore that he did lose his sur on many occassions. That is a bigger problem than diction. Himani on the other end, sang in a lower scale than original, but her performances were not offkey, as far as my memory goes. Vinit, in my opinion, had a much better sur control than Hema and Debu, although he lacked in other factors.

Not sure where you got that from. I can think of maybe one occasion when he lost sur.  Care to produce any examples? I can think of a few times that his voice broke. That is a result of his just coming out of puberty. His voice needs a few more years to settle.

Now, Debo, our grand winner has lost sur numerous times.

Agree with you. Debu has certainly had issues in his singing, just the way Vinit or Hema had. If his cracked voice in qawwali round was undeniably evident, so was Hema's in Saathiya.

I will look through my older posts and cutpaste the info on Hema I had written earlier.

If the real game behind this competition was to identify playback singers, then a couple of instances of cracked voice, IMO, are not all that big an issue. A lot if imperfections can be taken care of beautifully in playback recording. Hema is a great contender for playback singing because of his voice, which is very pleasing and masculine.

ab_srgmp Goldie
ab_srgmp
ab_srgmp

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the clarifications. But I still disagree with point 2 & partly disagree with point 4.

Debo was versatile, but some of the songs, IMO he was just unable to pull off...his voice just seemed weak, and high notes seemed very faint.  His strengths were the soft ballads and the peppy numbers.

I respect your opinion. We are all entitled to ours. So for now, we'll agree to disagree on the following points:

1. Hema's singing did not have the ability to touch the judges hearts like Himani's and Vinit's
2. He was not more superior technically than Debu and Vinit (sur wise and otherwise)
3. What the judges found missing in Hema's songs, they completely found in Vint's and Himani's songs.
4. Of the songs that the contestants were made to sing, Hema did not show the most versatality.

5. His voice quality, originality, versatility, and improvisations did not make him a stand out as a singer.

And we can agree on:
1. Abhijeet Ghosal was a very good singer (although I am not sure about his versatility either)

I see that you have inferred MORE from my words than was meant.  Big smile

1. I had left my thought as an open-ended question that started with "possibly" - possibly his singing did not touch the mentors?  This is not the same as saying - "his singing did not have the ability to touch hearts".

2. Sur-wise, I did say that I did not find him technically superior. "Otherwise" was completely your interpretation. His voice is certainly the best, IMO, among the three male contestants dicussed. His originality also was his USP.

3. Big smile. If you noticed, I pointed out that Vinit too had diction issues, and Himani sang in lower scale than original. If it makes anyone feel any better, Debu had voice crakcing issues.

4. I truly think that among the men, Debu showed most versatality (open to discussion) and Vinit the least, because most of his songs were Rafi-Sonu songs. Hema was somewhere in the middle.

5. See answer to 2 above.

I don't know about Abhijeet's versatality either. He did not sing too many non-Hariharan songs and did not stay in the competition long enough to show his talent.

ummm Senior Member
ummm
ummm

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by saregama

Originally posted by MrspetloverUS

Originally posted by autmother

I think it has been that way for a long time not just in SRGMP but everywhere in Bollywood that south indians are not encouraged so much. ARR was really the only one who crossed all the boundaries because of his unsurpassed talent. He actually gave oppurtunities to many singers. I think SEL are also good about it. But like Madhavi said
I think Hema and Nihira proved themselves by their songs and talent and did not need any hype.
On a lighter note, Abhi, I really want to hear you singing Preyasi since you seem to be so enthused about singing it or is it meant only to Madhavi. Smile
You are one funny kid!
Varsha, is that you on your AV??? If so you are very pretty

Yes dear it is me. Thank You.Embarrassed

Yes Varshaji, you are really pretty.   

Agree with the rest, MPL. Mesmerizing picture. Very pretty indeed!

saregama Goldie
saregama
saregama

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Have you ever wondered why EVERY SINGLE of the genuine music lovers and musicians on this forum (who understand singing technically) prefer Hema, Sharib and Debu over Vinit? Wink According to dear Goldie Mohini, it's because they're jealous of Vinit and have absolutely no musical talent LOL

I know abhilash,

I know this Mohini very well.

We are all jealous of vinit ......LOL LOL LOL

ummm Senior Member
ummm
ummm

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the clarifications. But I still disagree with point 2 & partly disagree with point 4.

Debo was versatile, but some of the songs, IMO he was just unable to pull off...his voice just seemed weak, and high notes seemed very faint.  His strengths were the soft ballads and the peppy numbers.

Sure.. it is not just us music lovers, but also music makers and music masters who differ in opinion from each others, sometimes starkingly. When Twinkle got a 6 from HR for "Dhoom macha de", ID did not agree with his rating. When Alka Yagnik and Jagjit Singhji were the judges in one of the rounds, they had difference of opinion in judging "creativity". While Alkaji saw the variation as a negative point, Jagjit singh saw that as a plus point. Another instance was when Diler Mehendi seemed to judge completely by sur and caught mistakes that probably no one else did, Pt Jasrajji looked for more factors.

Back to Debu, he sang sad songs (I didn't enjoy those much in his voice), happy songs, intense songs.. a wide variety. His Padosan song was unparallelled, despite the cracked voice. He was amazing with Humma humma and O Humdum, and I am surprised why the mentors never asked Hema  or Vinit to sing any song like that. That's another gray area I referred to earlier. His qawwali was also very good (again despite that 1 cracked voice in the alaap) and although the stanzas seemed easy to sing, the alaaps were difficult.

Which songs of Debu did you find particularly weak? I can recall "ae zindagi gale laga le" as one.

Hema's preyasi was exceptional, and I'm only too sad that a beautiful rendition like that happened only in the fag end of the contest. Had he produced a few more songs like that earlier on, he would have taken the title.

Go to top