India-Forums

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Hema and Judges (Page 11)

twinkle44 Senior Member
twinkle44
twinkle44

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 6:25am | IP Logged
vinit_fan ur just too cute...sab posts mein aankhen maar rahi ho tum.

ummm Senior Member
ummm
ummm

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
I have failed to undertsand why so many people think that Hema was ignored, Hema was not hyped, Hema did not get what he deserved, the judges did injustice to him, Zee did injustice to him etc etc.

SRGMP was a competition. He participated, he sang, he won many times and he lost, just the way the rest of the gang (Sharib, Rajeev, Irfan etc) did. So why treat him special over and over? He was good alright, but not flawless. He did have an upperhand on Vinit and Debu in certain qualities, just the way they had an upperhand on each other and Hema in some other qualities. Hema did get accolades from judges and full points when he sang well, but on days he did not score as much, we should understand that his performance was probably not up to the mark.

Vinit ofcourse was hyped by his mentor, so there isn't much point comparing the hype and attention that he received with any other male or female contestant on the show.
ab_srgmp Goldie
ab_srgmp
ab_srgmp

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ummm

I have failed to undertsand why so many people think that Hema was ignored, Hema was not hyped, Hema did not get what he deserved, the judges did injustice to him, Zee did injustice to him etc etc.

SRGMP was a competition. He participated, he sang, he won many times and he lost, just the way the rest of the gang (Sharib, Rajeev, Irfan etc) did. So why treat him special over and over? He was good alright, but not flawless. He did have an upperhand on Vinit and Debu in certain qualities, just the way they had an upperhand on each other and Hema in some other qualities. Hema did get accolades from judges and full points when he sang well, but on days he did not score as much, we should understand that his performance was probably not up to the mark.

Vinit ofcourse was hyped by his mentor, so there isn't much point comparing the hype and attention that he received with any other male or female contestant on the show.

Because to us Hema fans, he is special. Nobody else has been able to touch my heart the way his singing did. You're right, he was not flawless, but neither were Vinit, Debo and Himani.

Let's take the example of ID.

Vinit - got a 50 Rupee note from the guy, when he performed really well.
Himani - ID had to go on stage and praise/bless her.

And Vinit and Himani got the most 10s on the mento meters, even for relatively easy performances. Hema and Nihira got more 9s than 10s, even though, technically there were the most superior (in the top 10 atleast).  The biggest issue people had with Hema was his 'diction' issues. I am not a hindi/urdu expert, but I felt that his issues only crept up in a couple of words, in a couple of songs. But maybe people more familiar with the language would know better.

I honestly don't believe that the mento meter marks were directly tied to performance.   Some contestants were given 9s even with missed lyrics, while Hema was severely penalised for missed lyrics. There was so much inconsistency, that it became very irrelevant to me. But it was sure to have played some psychological games with the contestants, and also to some extent influenced public voting.

realmusic Senior Member
realmusic
realmusic

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
Good points ab_srgmp. The point of the show, as Gaj has mentioned was to identify playback singers. The most successful playback singers can sing a very wide variety of songs with vivid imagination, while capturing the emotion intended by the lyricist.

Hema, more than anyone else displayed the talent to cover that wide variety - be it whimsical tracks like Come To Me, which required voice modulation, or songs which required a lot of feel like Tanhaiyee or quick paced tracks like Ramta Jogi/Bumbhro. He also exhibited the imagination to adapt the songs to his own style, and in many cases adding more complexity. Most of the other contestants seemed to come up short in the fundamentals of singing and feel depending on the song choices.

Diction can be worked upon and Hema will overcome those easily. He is only 17 for crying out loud!

Edited by realmusic - 03 April 2006 at 1:50pm
Rupalee Senior Member
Rupalee
Rupalee

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
I think Adeshji is not like others. He could have Hyped Hemu but he did not. Also Hemu is just the best. He has that emotional side which is very special for a singer. He does not need SRGMP to be a winner in his life.

My 2 cents. Love Hemu all the way
Sunitha.V Senior Member
Sunitha.V
Sunitha.V

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by realmusic

Good points ab_srgmp. The point of the show, as Gaj has mentioned was to identify playback singers. The most successful playback singers can sing a very wide variety of songs with vivid imagination, while capturing the emotion intended by the lyricist.

Hema, more than anyone else displayed the talent to cover that wide variety - be it whimsical tracks like Come To Me, which required voice modulation, or songs which required a lot of feel like Tanhaiyee or quick paced tracks like Ramta Jogi/Bumbhro. He also exhibited the imagination to adapt the songs to his own style, and in many cases adding more complexity. Most of the other contestants seemed to come up short in the fundamentals of singing and feel depending on the song choices.

Diction can be worked upon and Hema will overcome those easily. He is only 17 for crying out loud!

well said Realmusicji..I don't think any other contestant has shown the kind of varsatility Hemachandra has shown. He has covered them all, and made each of them his own. Diction can be worked on as you said...but talent, voice, range ..you either have these or you don't. He is well trained as well, so he has it all...hope a few years from now he would be giving us hits in flawless hindi Smile

ummm Senior Member
ummm
ummm

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged

My comments embedded in yours below

Originally posted by ab_srgmp

Because to us Hema fans, he is special. Nobody else has been able to touch my heart the way his singing did. You're right, he was not flawless, but neither were Vinit, Debo and Himani.

Agree.. all contestants including Nihira had their strong points and weak points. In their own "areas of specialization" they all excelled and went close to the flawless mark, but in other areas, they all lagged behind to a certain degree, and these degrees varied for the diff contestants. There were plenty of gray areas too about the contestants' ability to sing something, as these areas were unexplored - for ex - Vinit singing any SPB or Sukhwinder numbers, Hema singing any comedy songs, Nihirs singing any punjabi folk etc.

Could those reactions from ID not be because Vinit's and Himani's songs touched his heart just the way Hema's touched yours? Even if you leave ID aside calling him biased and look at the comments from HR, JL, Hema's own mentor AS, or even other judges on the show including Subhash Ghai, they were also not very flowery for Hema. The other contestants received much better feedback - possibly because those songs touched their hearts, while Hema's did not?  

And Vinit and Himani got the most 10s on the mento meters, even for relatively easy performances. Hema and Nihira got more 9s than 10s, even though, technically there were the most superior (in the top 10 atleast).  The biggest issue people had with Hema was his 'diction' issues. I am not a hindi/urdu expert, but I felt that his issues only crept up in a couple of words, in a couple of songs. But maybe people more familiar with the language would know better.

Hema's superiority is again not an established fact, but something felt by many of us. He was good, but I would not call him technically superior than Debu, Vineet or Abhijeet. Diction is an issue and even Vinit had diction problems, but lets keep that aside for now. While Hema was impressive as a singer, we should not ignore that he did lose his sur on many occassions. That is a bigger problem than diction. Himani on the other end, sang in a lower scale than original, but her performances were not offkey, as far as my memory goes. Vinit, in my opinion, had a much better sur control than Hema and Debu, although he lacked in other factors.

I honestly don't believe that the mento meter marks were directly tied to performance.   Some contestants were given 9s even with missed lyrics, while Hema was severely penalised for missed lyrics. There was so much inconsistency, that it became very irrelevant to me. But it was sure to have played some psychological games with the contestants, and also to some extent influenced public voting.

Since the mentors did not explain most of the times (especially in the later shows) what they were looking at in the songs and what they found the constestasnt lacking on, it is just a speculation that Hema was penalized for missed lyrics more than others. May be there were other things that they found missing, but never shared with him or us?

ab_srgmp Goldie
ab_srgmp
ab_srgmp

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 2:36pm | IP Logged

My comments embedded in yours below

Originally posted by ab_srgmp

Agree.. all contestants including Nihira had their strong points and weak points. In their own "areas of specialization" they all excelled and went close to the flawless mark, but in other areas, they all lagged behind to a certain degree, and these degrees varied for the diff contestants. There were plenty of gray areas too about the contestants' ability to sing something, as these areas were unexplored - for ex - Vinit singing any SPB or Sukhwinder numbers, Hema singing any comedy songs, Nihirs singing any punjabi folk etc.

Could those reactions from ID not be because Vinit's and Himani's songs touched his heart just the way Hema's touched yours? Even if you leave ID aside calling him biased and look at the comments from HR, JL, Hema's own mentor AS, or even other judges on the show including Subhash Ghai, they were also not very flowery for Hema. The other contestants received much better feedback - possibly because those songs touched their hearts, while Hema's did not?  

Hema's superiority is again not an established fact, but something felt by many of us. He was good, but I would not call him technically superior than Debu, Vineet or Abhijeet. Diction is an issue and even Vinit had diction problems, but lets keep that aside for now. While Hema was impressive as a singer, we should not ignore that he did lose his sur on many occassions. That is a bigger problem than diction. Himani on the other end, sang in a lower scale than original, but her performances were not offkey, as far as my memory goes. Vinit, in my opinion, had a much better sur control than Hema and Debu, although he lacked in other factors.

Since the mentors did not explain most of the times (especially in the later shows) what they were looking at in the songs and what they found the constestasnt lacking on, it is just a speculation that Hema was penalized for missed lyrics more than others. May be there were other things that they found missing, but never shared with him or us?

I respect your opinion. We are all entitled to ours. So for now, we'll agree to disagree on the following points:

1. Hema's singing did not have the ability to touch the judges hearts like Himani's and Vinit's
2. He was not more superior technically than Debu and Vinit (sur wise and otherwise)
3. What the judges found missing in Hema's songs, they completely found in Vint's and Himani's songs.
4. Of the songs that the contestants were made to sing, Hema did not show the most versatality.

5. His voice quality, originality, versatility, and improvisations did not make him a stand out as a singer.

And we can agree on:
1. Abhijeet Ghosal was a very good singer (although I am not sure about his versatility either)

Go to top