Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

autmother thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by: sarangee

Ummm,

Please don't get me wrong but if you are not really trained in music, please don't make judgments and statements about the finer variations in music as though you are trained and know a lot about music. It is great that you are a music lover and that you have a strong opinion. I respect that but to be on a fault finding mission about a singer like Hemu who knows much more about music than you do, you must have good knowledge. Otherwise it is better not to say so much about stuff about which you are not really an expert.

I know a wee bit about music and have sung in orchestras and I have to say that of all the male singers in Saregamapa, Hema and Abhijeet Ghoshal were the two singers who rarely went off sur. Vinit and Sharib will come after that. Debojit was a major culprit because of tension and also because he was uncomfortable at really high notes.

Hema's only two mistakes were Bachna Ae Haseenon (where he forgot the song and missed a beat) and the Karma song (where he forgot the lyrics and was unsettled afterwards). In sur, laye and taal he was very very good and absolutely fantastic in feelngs. He was bad in diction initially but has gradually improved. I am sure he lost a lot of marks due to diction. I felt like laughing when someone pointed out Tanhayee, Mitwa and Saathiya (which actually moved Kunal and the guests to goosebumps). These were some of his best performances. Please don't make statements like that because it does not put you or whoever said that in good light. Tanhayee was so good that Hema managed to stamp his individuality on a Sonu Nigam song. He was magnificient. Also most people will agee with me that Hema and Nihira were the best among the boys and girls. That is why depite the pitiful numer of votes from South, Hema was in the top 3. That shows his all round popularity.

Vinit was really bad in breath control and low notes. Also his landing notes were really abrupt and he used to shout at the higher notes. He needs some strong classical training as he is not a refined singer at all though he has talent. So my only advice to you is that please make some educated comments and you will see people giving you your due respect.

Well said. ONe thing I want to add to your comments is that even if you have learnt classical music for few years it does not make you an expert, and also film music there is so much of overlap of swaras due to the music, it is hard to nitpick on that.

autmother thumbnail
Originally posted by: ummm

Please feel free to disagree, but I would appreciate you not making "guesses" about my musical background, especially in careless words. Thanks in advance!

I dont really believe that everyonelearning music are expert judges. Please do not make any uneducated careless assumptions and analysis of singers who have done years of riyaaz, training and singing and it will be vice versa with us. WE all thank you in advance for considering that.

Edited by autmother - 18 years ago
realmusic thumbnail
Originally posted by: autmother

exactly. But I think you should just ignore it, because we did this arguing with this person several times.  I have heard and infact played on the instrument to see if there are variations. But I did not find any. But again, I think it is better to ignore ignorance rather than fuel it. What say you?

Agree, thanks. When you scratch an itch, it only gets worse. 😉

sarangee thumbnail
Originally posted by: autmother

I dont really believe that everyonelearning music are expert judges. Please do not make any uneducated careless assumptions and analysis of singers who have done years of riyaaz, training and singing and it will be vice versa with us. WE all thank you in advance for considering that.

Autmother,

I agree with you completely. I get a feeling that thie person concerned does not like Hemu. I hae heard Hemu's songs a lot now and I have to say he is very pucca in sur, laye, taal and feel. Some minor aberrations happen to all singers when they sing on stage and there is no reason to nitpick.

ummm thumbnail

Dear autmother -

I have only expressed my opinion about the contestants in the show, just like everyone else on this forum.

You have mentioned about your classical background previously and I have bought your claim at face value. I disagree with you as far as musical judgement goes, but agree that you are rightly entitled to your opinions. And I am sure your musical background has aided you in forming your opinions.

I have not made any remarks about you as a person - I hardly know you. But I am sorry to say that I have found many of your comments on me unprovoked and less than kind. I'm sure there are milder ways to show disagreement with me than outrightly calling me ignorant and uneducated.

If I have misbehaved with you, please do point that out to me.

I do not wish to carry this argument further because it would be futile, as you rightly said.

Edited by ummm - 18 years ago
madhavi_r108 thumbnail
Shubhangi, she has her opinion and we must respect that. I am sure Vinit fans must be getting equally irritated when we say that Hemu is better than Vinit!

Ummm, taken your responses positively. Glad we agree that Saathiya was a difficult song, and Vinit sang the same genre of songs. That settles some arguments.

Firstly, the reason this topic is not only to say why the judges gave him less marks but also to analyse why didn't he recieve his due credit. I will just give you some examples to begin with:

- If you have heard/seen the video of their group song Aaj Nahin Toh Kal, the singers who are shown the most are Sharib, Nihira, Vinit, Twinkle, Himani, Rajeev, Swananda, Debojeet, Rakhtima and Hemachandra (in the order of screen time).. You can barely hear his voice, in the video he is pushed to the background, if that is not neglecting than what it is?

- I am not a regular watcher of SRGMP on Zee since I live on the university and I used to just find out what was happening when I went home over the summer by watching ads on TV. Except in the beginning when they used to show Hemachandra's Lakshya song for the AS gharana, he was never marketted. I mean even in the episodes he got consistent greens, did any of the judges talk much about him? In the episode he got green over Abhijeet, Jagjit Singh commented more about Abhijit, in the episode he got green over Niladri and Sharib, Pt. Jasraj praised Sharib more but he never told why he gave Hema the green. Thats mine and sarangee and every1 else who is supporting Hema's belief. Did any1 notice him till he got to Agnipariksha ?I doubt it.. he didnt have a story about him.. there was no controversy at all, every participant had a story.. lets analyse

1) Debo - Wild Card Entry, had some rough moments in the rounds with judges since he never got green in first shot
2) Vinit - Wild Card Entry, if u saw Fame 2005, he thought he wasn't going to make through because he forgot the lyrics of the song
3) Himani - Sang for Chingari, the fainting episode
4) Nihira - from the first episode, every1 who had watched SRGMP before knew her, and she was always promoted as teh best singer of the show
5) Paresh - UK Factor, the Abhijit - Paresh controversy
6) Ujjaini - Getting eliminated over Raktima I think and then coming back with audience votes
7) Twinkle - getting preference over Swananda for one of the rounds when she was much much better, the whole performance aspect
8) Rajeev - Singing for Chingaari, his cook story
9) Sharib - controversy with Niladri and the tie breaker in the beginning
10) Swananda - UK Factor
11) Raktima - her mom getting heart attack..

what about Hemu did we know till he came to the agni pariksha ? absolutely NOTHING ! except the fact that his sister also took part and that he is very emotional.. the fact about his musical skills totally unfolded in Agnipariksha.. was there a reason for this to happen or are we just looking at things too microscopically /
madhavi_r108 thumbnail
Varsha ji, I keep telling myself that I should do that, but can't control myself !!

Gorgeous pic of yourself !
kd286 thumbnail
Originally posted by: srianne

same deal here. I stopped arguing with people who're hell bent on proving Hema as a besura or that he has diction issues or whatever. I mean, there is really no point arguing, it's not like they're gonna agree on what we're saying or anything like that. I agree people do have opinions but showing another contestant in a bad light just to prove themselves right or to favor their favorites is wrong in my opinion.  I would rather have his singing speak and shut the critics mouth than us. What do you all say?

👏

bangboy thumbnail
Originally posted by: srianne

same deal here. I stopped arguing with people who're hell bent on proving Hema as a besura or that he has diction issues or whatever. I mean, there is really no point arguing, it's not like they're gonna agree on what we're saying or anything like that. I agree people do have opinions but showing another contestant in a bad light just to prove themselves right or to favor their favorites is wrong in my opinion.  I would rather have his singing speak and shut the critics mouth than us. What do you all say?

Same here Raneji

Dancnballa23 thumbnail
Originally posted by: MrspetloverUS

Thanks love. 😊  Did you see Karunya today?? Such an awesome performance 😃

Karunya is in the league of SRGMP 😃  He sings soooo effortlessly, it's almost scary.