Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Globalisation??? what does it mean to u?

Sikh Kuri Goldie
Sikh Kuri
Sikh Kuri

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:35am | IP Logged

Hey guys, i need your help with a assignment,  i am doing well on it so far but i fink i am now losing the plot! lol

Here is the question:

We all know that one way or another 'globalisation' is a fact of life today. But what does it really mean for our daliy lives, for the culture that we live in, and for the dynamics of the power in the world? One of the ways in which these issues have been discussed by recent commentators is in terms of 'cosmopolitianism'. is cosmopolitiasim an ethical style of life for a postmodern world, or just a comfortable pose for privileged elites? in other words are you cosmopolitian??

Right peeps thats the question, abit indense i know, so i just wanted your thoughts, ideas and assistance on the above question to help me further!!!

Edited by Sikh Kuri - 01 April 2006 at 1:20pm

Sikh Kuri Goldie
Sikh Kuri
Sikh Kuri

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
My deadline for this coursework is the 7th of april--- so please assist by discussing your opinions and views!!
zara_123 Senior Member
zara_123
zara_123

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged
ermmmmmmmmmmm what does globosistatatvd ......(wateva it is Confused )
mean again plez?!!!
Sikh Kuri Goldie
Sikh Kuri
Sikh Kuri

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged
please dont make fun, its my coursework!!! it a form of everyday life! read the question above!
cuty_a Goldie
cuty_a
cuty_a

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged
4 me globalisation doesnt mean much coz im used 2 it as its a part ov my everyday lyf!

nike and Mcdonalds are a BIG example ov globalisation arn't they?
Subaltern IF-Rockerz
Subaltern
Subaltern

Mr Extraordinaire

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged
I am in Graduate school studying Political Economy so this is what I do pretty much all day long.

Globalization has many meanings in everyday usage. It can denote the rise of modular production networks, borderless capital (internationalization of capital) and thus, the dawn of a new economy / new capitalist era. Some scholars also see globalization as modernity that has intensified to link distant localities and form new social relations. The globalization of communications technology has also made the world a smaller place. Globalization can also signal the coming of a uniform, standardized world society based on technological, commercial, and cultural synchronization by and for the global North.

So, it can mean many things to you, depending on your school of thought.
Sikh Kuri Goldie
Sikh Kuri
Sikh Kuri

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged
Thanks jaan!! Thats helps alot!
eZ Senior Member
eZ
eZ

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged
I think globailzation is a particularly good thing. I'm not sure if i have the correct meaning of globalization so let me know if im wrong. Globilzation would help countries economic condtions. I think the stratagey is to move a large portion of the jobs to underdeveloped countries. This will decrease the unemployment rate and boom the economy of an underdeveloped country. An example of this is move the IT related jobs to india. As a result there are less unemployed ppl and it's apparent that the economy is booming with the increased production in builidings, malls,cars and also the stadium for the common wealth games. Idk if what i wrote was right... just took a shot in the dark. Hope it's helpful lol.

Edited by eZ - 03 April 2006 at 1:11pm

Go to top