Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Marketting and Hype (Page 2)

ticks Goldie
ticks
ticks

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged

I agree with your perception 100%, ..

Let me put my perceptions this way..

Creativity knows no boundaries and limits.. RabindraNath, Kaji Nazrul wrote poetry and made music about varied subjects and was not bounded by a script dictated by a Producer. Or a Baul or a Folk musician is not bounded by producers..or even classical musicians or Pop-stars.. Their imagination is their limit...and they structure their ART henceforth.. Hence, it is vast. In Filmy music what I feel is it is only bounded by typical situations in the story and situation and hence musicians/Artists/Lyricists/Composers are not stretched to their limits.  To have a Semi-claasical music they may need a situation or a Period film..

When a Hariprasad Chaurasia plays the flute, I can conjure up an imaage of Radha-Krishna in a leela or just a shephard playing it get the sheep back or it may lull me sleep and give me peace..or in a full moon night I may dream of my beloved........the image is on the state of my mind then...

When masses conjures up an image to film songs it is the film situations and filmstars which comes to our minds (atleast my mind).....but when I listen to non-filmy I conjure up myriad images... Hence I feel Playback singing is a bit limited in that sense, nothing wrong in it, but I would love see Singers associated with their own images. They got success because they has successful films which gave them recognition..and as a result raised their BRAND value, which later helped them sell their music. 

Who knows, Lata ji may have give us even greater music if she did not have to keep Madhubala or a Waheeda Rehman or a Madhuri Dixit in her mind when she sang and modulated her voice?

just my humble take. But agree with your view also...ClapClap

PS: I am great fan of yours and your articles..Wink

Edited by ticks - 01 April 2006 at 5:54am

ab_srgmp Goldie
ab_srgmp
ab_srgmp

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 6:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by adwarakanath

Dead right, madhavi.

Soynee ji, i'll beg to differ. Singing wise...only singing wise, Hema's technically ahead of Amey IMO.

Back to the point, this is the age of marketing and hype.

1) Does Sehwag deserve all the hype? No. He's a ver ordinary batsman.

2) Do any of the past and present II singers deserve the hype..barring Amey and Karunya? No.

3) Ordinary dhinchak matak film albums with recycled tunes and standard synthesised beats are hyped to the sky. Genuine, original and superbly made albums like Raincoat, HKA, Umar lose out.

Why? Paisa.

All sensibilities were lost the day they paid Sawant and Pt Jasraj the same amount of money for a show.

Mera bharat mahan.... Clap

Yeah, that's what I am saying!
vinayaktyagi Goldie
vinayaktyagi
vinayaktyagi

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 6:33am | IP Logged

Originally posted by arun_8687

Madhavi Ji,Talk about II taking it all away.
None of II-1 contestants have done playback except Abhijeet Sawant(Rahul Vaidya and Prajakta did a song in some Anu Malik album..I dint think that was a song Dead Dead )
And The Most deserving in II-1 like Rahul Saxena and Aditi Paul havent sung a single song yet for movies.

And in SRGMP,we already have Hemu,Vinit,Himani who've already done playback.

So,I guess..It all evens out,at the end of the day Big smile

Arun, i think Raahul Saxena has sung a song for movie JAWANI DIWANI.

correct me if i'm wrong.

soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 6:39am | IP Logged
Great topic and perspective Madhavi – you know that I am your fan Smile Clap Clap
Abhi, ticks Ji great points Clap Clap

Let me say something from a different perspective – I happen to know a big shot of Fremantle Media (the producer of Indian/American…Idol and many other blockbuster programs). Just before II2 started we had a 2 hours discussion on the marketing strategies behind idol program. First the big shot said (I can't take his name) – 'We know that we can't possibly compete with SRGMP in pedigree' (don't know if he will say the same thing after EMAET though).

But their Marketing is really solid- They have direct link with the corporate HQ of all the major sponsors (while SRGMP is a local production), their marketing program / format – everything is very professional – planned at least 6 months back. Even the 'press-kit' and the PR executives are always standby. No wonder they get much more coverage.

Just take the example time taken of album release of Avijit Sawant vs Debojit – you will get the picture.

BTW – I don't watch Indian Idol Wink
vinayaktyagi Goldie
vinayaktyagi
vinayaktyagi

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 6:50am | IP Logged
You r right Anol Da ,SONY has definately fired all cylinders to Market the show,it's way ahead of ZEE in it's marketing stratergies .
Look ZEE ,2 months gone already and there's no sign of Debojit's album Confused

The diff. betwn. a multinational Geek and a local player is clearly evident here.
live_life IF-Rockerz
live_life
live_life

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged

Originally posted by arun_8687

Madhavi Ji,Talk about II taking it all away.
None of II-1 contestants have done playback except Abhijeet Sawant(Rahul Vaidya and Prajakta did a song in some Anu Malik album..I dint think that was a song Dead Dead )
And The Most deserving in II-1 like Rahul Saxena and Aditi Paul havent sung a single song yet for movies.

And in SRGMP,we already have Hemu,Vinit,Himani who've already done playback.

So,I guess..It all evens out,at the end of the day Big smile

so true,Clap because no matter how much publicity they get at the end of the day srgmp contestants atleast have sung a song like debojit for id vinit for hr himani for ad sharib for id what's the use of so much publicity that u can't even get a song i  and by the way amit sana also sung for kalyug. i feel pity for indian idol all they can give their contestant is publicity and more publicity no songs nothing just raising the TRP of the channel.

madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged
Thanks a lot for your comments, sometimes wish there wasn't a time difference so that I could reply instantly as these are posted..

- Arun : I am not wondering whether Hemu and Nihira would recieve offers or not..because they would, but then again, they were also marketted. The Mentors trying to oust the other, that competition also led to giving these singers an oppurtunity. Think of this this way, if there were no mentors in this competition, it was like the previous SRGMP format and assuming Nihira and Hemu won (I say that coz they are my fave.. so no offence to Vinit, Himani and Debo fans), do you think they would have got chance this fast?

-ticks and Abhi - i COMPLETELY agree with your comments about singing with the actor/actress kept in mind.. but sometimes this is beneficial, seeing it on the screen leaves a strong impact and especially if its a good song, its worth it. The song Lukkha Chuppi from RDB, I thought it was just a normal song when I heard it.. but when I saw the placement of the song and the way it was picturized, it now brings tears into my eyes.. Its a pity that such songs are becoming fewer by the day and songs like ABA are becoming more popular! In my case, I liked that song but after seeing the video I got disgusted by it.. Shuba Mudgal seriously did a good thing by coming out and exposing us to a different kind of music.. I greatly respect her for that. hte clash between purists and us will always be there and its hard to get rid of those clashing opinions.

Anol da - thanks for your comments, its what motivates me to write longer posts LOL ! Anyways, its true that II singing cannot match up to SRGMP singing and now I would say even the performances of SRGMP were better.. but the aggresive promotion II is doing.. how good is that? every news channel talks about Amey Date (except Zee News).. there is so much of hype going on about their concerts all over India.. I mean see the hoardings Amey has in bombay and see the ones Nihira had.. so much of difference.. I see how much Karunya is being promoted in Hyd and its a LOT more than what Hemu was...

At the end of the day, do you think that singers from SRGMP, II are getting that offers because of aggresive promotion? I mean all said and done, the singers here got offers faster than winners of previous SRGMP modules.. but then again, atleast in the case of II singers, their songs have been disappointing to say the least..
madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged
bump

Go to top