canada87 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago

"I am not afraid to start from scratch!"

He is probably the one Man among men. He has made his stand in an industry that thrives on past successes --- he

The new 'Time Bomb' look Rajeev Khandelwal: "I am over being Sujal"

had the courage to obliterate his past and start afresh. This perhaps best describes Rajeev Khandelwal, a man as genuine as they come; and just listening to him makes one hope that there are more artistes like him in this world.

Despite all the efforts of the makers of Star Plus' Kahiin to Hoga, there always will be just one Sujal, who is not only Ekta Kapoor's dream man, but also the dream man of thousands of teens in India and abroad.

But surprisingly, Rajeev has moved on. He has had the courage to stand aside and yet pray that the character that was once so close to his heart grows and continues to have that special place in the hearts of audiences near and far. Now, with Ketan Mehta's Time Bomb, he hopes to woo audiences as the inimitable Varun, a man of many contradictions --- a far cry from the man who shed copious tears over the loss of his lady love. In an exclusive chat with Ananya Sengupta ever since he took on the new project, Rajeev Khandelwal bares all about being Sujal and about trying to make a difference in the illogical industry that he is a part of.

So Sujal is done with...has it sunk in as yet?
Yes, I am completely reconciled with the fact that I am no longer Sujal and really I am beyond KTH now. But frankly, I have given blanket orders to everybody not to talk to me about Sujal --- although I have given it up, I still have that niggling feeling about "What might have been." You know what I mean? It has not been an easy thing to leave a character of the stature of Sujal ..... this is like starting afresh. But I have decided to do it and I have no qualms in admitting that I just couldn't carry on anymore. I was confusing myself, my directors...it was getting insane!

....oh! to be Sujal!

But many actors have gone on record saying this, but they have continued....
For each one to themselves. I hope that Time Bomb succeeds...not so much for me, but for the others actors who want to make a difference...it is about conviction you know...I want people to say that if Rajeev could do it, so can we!

(He asks for some tea...kadak hona chahiye, he says, dhak ke banana, he adds)

So what is Time Bomb about?
It is about an international political intrigue and I play a cop. I can't tell you much at this stage, but it is very pacy and it is very different from what I have done before. There is just one thing that I think is similar and that is perhaps the fact that he has no time to smile...quite like Sujal! But yes, I really think that Varun will be very different...non-filmi and very realistic...

How different is it working for Ketan Mehta?
I get to learn a lot...that has always been my prime concern. I thought that I will be completely exposed in front of this man....and K K Menon...well, I was so nervous during the first shot...they kept telling me not be filmi..."Rajeev you are speaking as if they are dialogues...they have to be realistic..." this is what I got to hear initially, but I sat down with Ketan and Deepa and perfected the look and the attitude that typifies Varun --- actually, he is a simple guy and that is what makes it so difficult for me...you know the fact that he is quite ordinary... (laughs) It is a great experience working with them, and if Time Bomb fails, I would have the satisfaction of working with Ketan.

(He acts out a very filmi Amitabh Bachchan track and demonstrates, complete with the look and attitude what he has been advised not to do)

Ketan Mehta has pulled off a casting coup of sorts...Akashdeep and you seem to be a deadly combination...

Akashdeep...ready to rock n roll!

Well, if I were to cast anybody for this role, I would not look beyond Akashdeep. Doesn't he look just deadly in the promos...I agree it's a great combo and I hope it works.

(As we nod our heads agreeing that Akashdeep looks nice...his face lights and he says that he is waiting to start shooting with him)

Are offers pouring in? Is that what gives you the confidence to go on?
Yes, I have got offers from virtually every channel, except the biggie! But surely everyone likes and appreciates Rajeev...perhaps more than Sujal...I know even Ekta appreciates the fact...she sms'd to invite me to her birthday party...and I have the greatest respect for both Ekta and Shobha aunty...Ekta is an intelligent girl and we have no problems with each other.

Rajeev:"I am taking on the toughest challenge of my life!"

How did your parents react when you decided to quit KTH?
My parents were aghast. They were so used to being called Sujal's parents that they didn't know how to be otherwise. My house in Rajasthan is virtually mobbed, when I am there...and they have to get used to the silence now! It will take some time for them to reconcile to this...but this will happen. One cannot live on past glories; I had to prove to myself that I was a good actor beyond being Sujal. I wanted to take care of that feeling that made me doubt my capabilities as an actor. Time Bomb might fail...but that is life!

So what other projects in the pipeline?
Well, to be very frank, I am not looking at different projects now. Ideally I want to take a break of two or three months after Time Bomb and then resume work. But then if there is something really challenging offered to me...I will do it... but I am yet to look at something that will really excite me. There were some interesting scripts but then they were looking at my sources for producing it! And again there were some who wanted to be my godfather...and I don't want that either!

Now that all is settled on the professional front is it time to get married?
Well, my parents are trying their very best. More so because my younger brother is getting married this week...but I want to live my life my way...in that sense, I may say I am very selfish!

(At this point he is called for a shot, and we leave after taking some quick snaps, hoping that Rajeev will re-invent himself as Varun, and that Sujal remains with him as a sweet but distant memory!)

Edited by canada87 - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CuteAreej thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Thanks dear...but it has been posted already.. 😉
farhina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail