Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Puriya Dhanasri (audio file included) (Page 2)

kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged
BTW... the flow of this compositions sounds ID-like, with excess instrumentation and addition of way too many vivadis (sometimes they sound nice, but other times, they aren't that fun to listen to).

anonmember IF-Sizzlerz
anonmember
anonmember

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 11:31pm | IP Logged
Thank you kishore_bhakta
jhsurti Groupbie
jhsurti
jhsurti

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:22am | IP Logged
A couple of days back in the Vividh-Bharati morning seesion, in Sangit Sarita, they played the song from Badalte Rishtey - "Meri sanson ko.." - that KBji mentioned. BUT they introduced it as Raag Purya-Kalyan.

KBji can you enlighten on this confusion?
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 4:39am | IP Logged

Originally posted by jhsurti

A couple of days back in the Vividh-Bharati morning seesion, in Sangit Sarita, they played the song from Badalte Rishtey - "Meri sanson ko.." - that KBji mentioned. BUT they introduced it as Raag Purya-Kalyan.

Would be glad to, because I had a debate with someone few years ago who disqualified this song as a Raga Puriya Dhanasri song.

When filmi musician compose raga-based songs, they either strictly follow the raga (like Jhanak Jhanak Tori Baje, or Mana Tarpat Hari Darsan Ko Aaj) or go very loose with it. I have seen light songs which claim as Puriya Dhanasri, but they use shuddha Dha too much that it does sound like Puriya Kalyan. "Meri Saason ko jo mehka rahi hai" follows the flow of Puriya Dhanasri pretty well and uses shuddha dha, as a grace note, which gave it a Marwa feel. There was one in madhya saptak, in the word "saanson" when the second half of the refrain comes up in "teri saanson se." The second ones were found in the second line of all antaras and this was the shuddha dha in the mandra saptak (the lowest note of the song).

It is Puriya Dhanasri. LP didn't use Shuddha Dha too often or even correctly by the standard of Raga Puriya Kalyana to qualify it as one. People almost always jump to the conclusion of Puriya Kalyan, when there is a Puriya Dhanasri existing. I have one devotional tape by Jagjit Singh and he sang a kirtan in Raga Puriya Dhansri, but it was incorrectly credited as Puriya Kalyan.Angry

On a side note, Ud. Amjad Ali Khan performed Raga Puriya Kalyan and his own special composition in his show/album "Tribute To Germany." Ud. Zakir Hussain on tabla and Shefali Nag on tanpura (if I recall correctly, I think it was to commerate the breaking of the Berlin wall.)

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 7:00am | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Thanks for the Info Clap Clap

Doesn't Kahe Ched Ched Mohe of Devdas also lapse into Puriya Dhanashree after starting off as Basant?

To my knowledge, I think it was Basant all the way (exclude the interludes Angry, I can't stand the raga based compositions were the interludes don't remind us of the raga). Pt. Biriju Maharaj focused on the uttaranga of the raga, while Puriya Dhanasri, by nature is purvanga based.

sweety001 IF-Dazzler
sweety001
sweety001

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 9:56am | IP Logged
Thank You! Great Post!
jhsurti Groupbie
jhsurti
jhsurti

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 10:16pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

Originally posted by jhsurti

Would be glad to, because I had a debate with someone few years ago who disqualified this song as a Raga Puriya Dhanasri song.

When filmi musician compose raga-based songs, they either strictly follow the raga (like Jhanak Jhanak Tori Baje, or Mana Tarpat Hari Darsan Ko Aaj) or go very loose with it. I have seen light songs which claim as Puriya Dhanasri, but they use shuddha Dha too much that it does sound like Puriya Kalyan. "Meri Saason ko jo mehka rahi hai" follows the flow of Puriya Dhanasri pretty well and uses shuddha dha, as a grace note, which gave it a Marwa feel. There was one in madhya saptak, in the word "saanson" when the second half of the refrain comes up in "teri saanson se." The second ones were found in the second line of all antaras and this was the shuddha dha in the mandra saptak (the lowest note of the song).

It is Puriya Dhanasri. LP didn't use Shuddha Dha too often or even correctly by the standard of Raga Puriya Kalyana to qualify it as one. People almost always jump to the conclusion of Puriya Kalyan, when there is a Puriya Dhanasri existing. I have one devotional tape by Jagjit Singh and he sang a kirtan in Raga Puriya Dhansri, but it was incorrectly credited as Puriya Kalyan.Angry

On a side note, Ud. Amjad Ali Khan performed Raga Puriya Kalyan and his own special composition in his show/album "Tribute To Germany." Ud. Zakir Hussain on tabla and Shefali Nag on tanpura (if I recall correctly, I think it was to commerate the breaking of the Berlin wall.)

Thanks a lot KB. That was informative.

Go to top