sangitadas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 18 years ago
Cucumber cool Shveta
   By: Anita Raheja and Heena Agarwal
   January 1, 2006

"I eat a lot but I camouflage my fat very well," quips Shveta Salve, who plays a pivotal role in the television serial, Sarkar.

Contrary to the role of a Page 3 candidate in her earlier popular serial, Kitty Party, Shveta is a self-professed home maker who likes to shop for knick-knacks for her house. On an off day, Shveta likes to draw and paint.

When asked to name a vegetable she resembles, Shveta says, "I am a very easy going person. I can adapt to any circumstance, so I guess you can call me cool as a cucumber."

Shveta Salve's food for thought

I begin my day by petting my dog as both of us wake up together. I am not really fond of tea or coffee so I rarely have a cup of tea in the morning. But I have coffee when I am shooting.

On the days I am working I wake up early as I've to rush to the sets. My house keeper makes my breakfast which I generally have in the car.

It comprises egg white sandwiches or boiled potatoes or any other sandwich because it is quick to eat and not-so messy. Sometimes she packs a koki (onion paratha) or besan ka chilla.

On the days when I have an off, I skip breakfast as I wake up late at around 10.30 in the morning. Around 12 I have a glass of juice or coconut water.

I am a non-vegetarian. My housekeeper (my cook), a Muslim, makes excellent Moghlai mutton/chicken dishes.

For lunch I relish palak paneer or a chicken/mutton dish. I am quite a rice eater. I look forward to a meal of dal and rice accompanied by fish fry or chicken curry. At times, I eat yakhni pulao.

I am a Maharastrian from Mumbai. My mom is a Koli, we are essentially from the fishermen clan. Varan bhath is my all time favourite Maharashtrian fare. I also enjoy kanji.

Kanji for the uninitiated means curry in Koli language. I have learnt to make very good fish curry from my mom. It tastes perfect with bhath (rice).

I also recommend Sode. It's a spicy, minced prawn dish. The ingredients include onions, tomatoes, green chillies. An oily and masaledar dish, it may not be healthy but it is extremely tasty.

In the evenings if I am shooting, I avoid unit snacks like samosas, jalebis and wafers. My colleagues and I pool the stuff we have brought from home.

Eating too much on the sets makes you lethargic. Earlier I carried health bars and protein bars. Nowadays, I carry Tang and/or iced tea with me.

In between shots I keep sipping either fruit juice or coconut water or Tang.

My dog drives me up the wall and I guess that keeps me in shape.

I am not a very social person but because of my profession I dine out quite often at social events. Ideally, I would like to chill out at a friend's place.

Dinner at home, which is just once or twice in a week, is roti and sabzi, a small katori of rice and some dahi.

I enjoy eating seafood and for that I love Sole Fry, Bandra. I love their pisr (mussel with the shell). In Italian fare, I like eating pastas and risottos.

Deepak Tijori's wife, Shivani stays a floor above me. She cooks excellent Italian food, so I don't have to step out of my house for Italian food any more. I also like the Indian food at Urban Tadka.

I love steaks and I have eaten some of the best steaks in Manhattan.

At Strip, Christchurch, New Zealand, an entire lane is lined with cafes and small pubs on either side. Yet, the city is so quiet that you can actually hear ones footsteps in the middle of the day. People hang out at cafes and read a book for hours on end.

When I got some time off from my shooting, I would sit in a caf, sip coffee and write my diary.

The pecking order of my favourite fare is home-food, Thai, Mexican, Italian and Moghlai.

The first solid food that I ate as a child was steamed fish. I am not hugely into vegetables. In fact I like only five vegetables, baby corn, corn, cauliflower, potatoes and peas.

I hate anything that is gooey like dudhi and mushrooms.I can never eat eels and frogs legs.

My favourite restaurant table is the huge round table in the centre of Lotus caf, JW Marriot. The chairs have nice soft cushions. I have fallen asleep many times on that chair and seen many dreams on that table.

One thing I must always have in my fridge is an aerated drink. I make excellent fish but I am not into fancy cooking like today's women. I can cook the most amazing risottos.

I enjoy the raste ka kulfi on a patta and Blueberry cheese cake.

I like to have chocolate brownie with ice-cream. Even my driver knows that I love chatpatta food and raste ka chutney sandwich.

In my school days at Loretto Convent, Chembur I used to hog on vada-pavs. I guess, that's the reason it doesn't hold much appeal for me today.

In childhood, I was a fussy eater. My mom would make rotis out of oatmeal and soyabeans for me. My chappatis used to have the most ugly colours.

My mom is the most amazing packer. I too have learnt the skill of packing from her. When you open my mom's dabba, you will discover a bottle of water, a glass, a little table mat, a plate, a small box containing flavoured yoghurt, a tiffin with a meal full of surprises, a bar of chocolate/lassi/paan. Amazing na?

When I was studying at Sophia college, we would hangout at Snowmans. Bachelors served excellent natural fruit ice-creams especially litchi and chocolate chip ice-cream.

My best dining companion is my fianc, Rodney Barnes. I like to dine with a person who enjoys experimenting with food.

I like very few fruits. Bananas, chikoos, mangos and water-melons are my favourites.

My favourite beverage is a chilled glass of water-melon juice.

On a rare occasion I would have a glass of rose wine or a Chantilly. I wouldn't call myself a social drinker.

My fianc loves kanji bhath. When I have to rush, I just make some popcorn in the microwave.

My favourite spice is a chilli.

My favourite kitchen appliance is a non-stick pan. I use olive oil as a cooking medium.

I would love to have a romantic meal on the beach. Pasta and a glass of wine placed on a mat on the sand would be perfect.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 18 years ago
WOW! Thanks for sharing sangita. I like shweta- she's one cool actress:)